I just had to say it

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Geordi's Fingernails, Dec 17, 2016.

1. xanne

xanne Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Her NEW body??? I thought her body was the same in all her entire life, as any of us, as any human being, as any living being actually... hell, this is what I do hate about television...why do they have to do that anyway? does the contract say so?? I thought playing a character on television was about acting not about appearance.

Dwayne Milius likes this.
  2. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

I feel that in the 24th century, everybody will be in top physical condition. Like in any navy, paramilitary organization, or civilian space program (or whatever the heck Starfleet is supposed to be; see the current debate in the GTD forum), Starfleet duties undoubtedly demand a high degree of physicality and athleticism.

And creating the right appearance for the role is just part of the job when it comes to acting. Look at how much Christian Bale changed for his various roles, going from emaciated to muscular depending on what was needed. On the other hand, look at how Paul Dano gained weight for Love & Mercy because that's what was needed to accurately depict the subject of the biopic.

Kor

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    jaime and Armus like this.
  3. Marlonius

Marlonius Lieutenant Red Shirt

It's just an expression. I'm sure everyone else who read my statement didn't think I meant to infer that she had a literal new body.

Prax likes this.
  4. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Whoa! I found another example. Geordi sleeps in his uniform during The Most Toys, but he's ordered to bed by the captain, so he'll be fresh when they arrive at their destination, after spending extensive time studying Data's shuttle explosion. It's normal working hours, as everyone else is on duty, & I suspect it was meant to be a nap, & that's why he's still dressed. I do that myself actually. No covers. No alarm. He's just conked out a bit, & dreaming, when he's awoken by the realization of what he missed

It's kind of neat that you got me looking for this now. lol

jaime likes this.
  5. TheSublimeGoose

TheSublimeGoose Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

When Riker rebukes the junior officer in "Below Decks" for using "Aye, aye, sir" vice simply "aye, sir"- when 1. "Aye, aye" is a perfectly acceptable response for acknowledging an order or command in a maritime service (if a tad formal) and 2. While it's rarely used, other officers, including the senior officers, have used this acknowledgement in past/future episodes.

Always irked me, and seemed very contrived on the writer's part- like they just *needed* to throw in something else to show Riker's "disdain" for the young ensign.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  6. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Lower Decks". Riker has his little quirks, I suppose.

TheSublimeGoose likes this.
  7. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Really?

8. Dwayne Milius

Dwayne Milius Ensign Red Shirt

The good times before too many sensitive people complained about over sexualization and yadayadayada. Friends show had aniston in no bra all the time but after early 2000's and the rise of internet warriors, not so much

9. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

and you don't think any of those planets Kirk visited had the exact same thing and all the aliens looked just like him.
    The only thing TNG is guilty of is stereotyping every ethnic group, especially the Scots!

jaime likes this.
  10. TheSublimeGoose

TheSublimeGoose Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hah, thanks. I knew I should've looked it up, but I would've sworn it was my version :shrug:

11. Mojochi

well that's certainly true lol but It began on TOS, with their poetic waxing, over the top Irishman, Scotty, The Russian who claims Russia invented everything etc. Hahaha

I just think that by casting Code of Honor the way they did, & pushing the types of performances they gave, coupled with the fact that it was a barbarous culture, was a misstep a fair sight farther than most, & resulted in an unfortunate presentation

Qonundrum likes this.
  12. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

^And you think all those other white planets were civilised? LOL
    TNG - You were killed if you stepped on the frigging grass while wearing half naked clothes and strange blonde wigs
    TNG - Angel One - follow the female leader or get exterminated.
    TOS - Before we saw a black Vulcan in Tuvok - the Vulcans have a death ritual for their mates.
    TOS - The culture where kids lived forever were a bunch of savages
    I could go on....
    The barbarism was shared out equally. The racist thing about Star Trek is that they only showed one black dominated planet, (and they were not humans) and only one Native American one. The implication being only white folks wanna leave Earth. I wonder why?

Qonundrum and jaime like this.
  13. xanne

xanne Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

If you say so; however it's surpising to see the starfleet crewmen don't look that good and fit as the women do.

And you gave me two examples, and they're male actors, not females; now I'm just curious, how many female actressess do that as well?

For me, above all it's the acting that matters. If the actor is not good enough at that, it's pointless looking good/fit for playing any role.

14. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

I specifically cited male actors to show that it's not just women who are expected to do this for a role.

A couple of female examples: Gal Gadot went from supermodel-skinny to muscular and strong for the Wonder Woman role. Carrie Fisher trimmed down for SW:TFA.

It's just part of the business. It's a visual medium, so things need to look correct visually. If I was watching a Superman movie and Superman was a scrawny beanpole, it would really take me out of the experience.

I do think the Trek producers over the years tended to let the male actors let themselves go too much.

Kor

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    Armus likes this.
  15. Mojochi

I never said there weren't other barbarous cultures. I'm saying that the one time they show a culture of black people (Which yeah, is also a racially charged hurdle), that it is not only a barbarous one, but is portrayed by actors doing stereotypical Hollywood style African accents & mannerisms, similar to a parody like Coming To America. While there may not be reason to find their motives racist, it is pretty racially insensitive

16. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Not to pile on, but, oh come now! I doubt Jeri Ryan and Jolene Balock were initially cast for their acting abilities, rather than how they'd look in catsuits.

Shatner worked out during the summer breaks. When each season of Trek started, he was in decent figure. As the seasons went on with 12 hour work days and studio lunch food, he didn't get much chance to exercise. So by the last episode the famous paunch was back, and he was forced to wear a girdle so he looked acceptable as an action hero.

Armus likes this.
  17. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Or Both. Jeri Ryan a full time actress with a degree in theatre.

Terry Ferrell was a professional model who was also an actress, and according to her, was treated as a "dumb model" on set when discussing "acting" stuff.

Jolene Blalock was basically a supermodel who had begun taking guest roles on TV shows as the "babe" or "hot neighbor," "hot wife," etc.
    Wow, I think you're right. I never noticed that.

18. Mojochi

In TNG season 3, every main character except Worf was held captive, Troi & Riker in Menage a Troi, Geordi in The Enemy, Picard in Allegiance, Crusher in The High Ground, & Data in The Most Toys.

19. Armus

Armus Commodore Commodore

Picard is abducted three times. With Crusher in "The High Ground", in "Allegiance", and in "The Best Of Both Worlds".

20. Mojochi

Not in the High Ground. That's just Bev. You might be thinking of Attached. If we spread out to other seasons, they've all been held captive at one point or another. More than one has been held numerous times. It's insane, but I was mostly surprised by how in the space of only 18 episodes of 1 season, almost all of them, but Worf, had been held captive. That can't look good on the ship's permanent record hahaha

I don't know what to call Borg assimilation. That's like a thing unto itself lol

Armus likes this.