HUGE Mr Sulu Spoiler

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Danlav05, Jul 7, 2016.

1. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

Ah, Guy, you know better than that. Fatherhood is no proof of heterosexuality.
    For what it's worth I always liked David. I like that he was his own person and not just a Kirk clone. That he wasn't a traditional macho man idealistic traditional son that an alpha male like Kirk would've been expected to spawn.
    The novelizations had him having a relationship with Saavik which was interesting, and funny enough for this topic the actor was gay. While he never came out publicly it's well known he was gay and his Square Pegs co star Sarah Jessica Parker casually outed him in an interview years ago, as I don't believe she was unaware he wasn't out in the media.

2. Zonker

Zonker Commander Red Shirt

If I'm remembering right, something like this was in the script it just either didn't get filmed or didn't make the final cut.

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Savvik is at least three times stronger and 5 times faster than David if he was at peek human condition for his height/weight... Which he was likely not because David Marcus was a Nerd.

She decided it was a bad idea to save the two of them, which is why David died and she lived on to be replaced by Kim Cattrall (in spirit).

4. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually most of us are "straight-acting". It's just that the "out & loud" ones get public attention.

5. JeffinOakland

JeffinOakland Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sexuality (and how it is publicly presented) is MUCH more fluid for MANY people than is commonly understood.

6. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

It was definitely Chekov. I this movie, he is the womanizer and Kirk is older and wiser...so to speak.

I noticed this, as well. At that point, Kirk is wistful of what might have been.

7. Hela

Hela Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I know. Hence this:
    This was referring to a very specific type of 'act' and situation, and (using the most extreme example) why you can't use actual 'acts' as any sort of...sexuality barometer:
    Although, you're probably right about that situation still being reasonably common.

I'm not jumping down your throat or any thing, I just realised my original post wasn't the clearest I've ever written.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  8. Guy Gardener

How short are you?

9. Hela

Hela Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My ancestors came over from Lilliput.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  10. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I did read an interview with Takei (on BBC News) where it states that Sulu's orientation was added as a homage to Takei's "legacy and LGBT activism" which, to me at least, would seem to indicate that his own sexuality was a factor. When the actor they're trying to honour with such a move tries to get it changed, then it does show that they're making an unfortunate move.

How the same-sex couple was established in Beyond was worth applauding (though what married couple doesn't kiss when the meet up after time apart, what wasn't that shown?), and should be how such things are handled--sometimes men love men and women love women, let's move on with more important parts of the story.

Sector 7 likes this.
  11. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Abrams universe Scotty, Sulu and Chekov all equally lack established sexuality and romantic histories.

12. Guy Gardener

Good. Then they're all gay too.

13. Dilandu

Dilandu Commander Red Shirt

Hey, hey, Scotty is married to "Enterprise" (and she is lady)!

14. Guy Gardener

Considering she's also married to Kirk, she ain't no lady.

nightwind1 likes this.
  15. Dilandu

Dilandu Commander Red Shirt

Please. Kirk is her knight: her husband is Scotty.

16. Guy Gardener

They're both assholes.

As soon as she died, they mounted her daughter.

nightwind1, Sector 7 and Zonker like this.