How would you do a VOY movie today?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Arpy, Jun 21, 2020.

1. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

Condensing 7 years of "How do we get back home" into a one-off film where the ship is flung out then returns... it was stupid enough when movies tried doing "part one" shtick, and the TOS movies from the 80s showed an ongoing story where each chapter (TWOK, TSFS, et al) could still stand on their own as an independent outing. Either serendipitous or as intent, I would still reckon the former is the correct possibility since the makers of TSFS said the plot basically wrote itself (and other anecdotes for the other, later films. Nobody in STIV or VI said in 1982 they were planning this whole sequence of events we saw unfold over the years...)

But I digress. VOY did attempt a "movie format" for some episodes, like 'Dark Frontier". Pretending VOY ended after season 4, could "Dark Frontier" work on the big screen? For established fans, yes. For casual viewers, no. Must everything be specifically for casual viewers? Not necessarily. Must everything be specifically for hardcore fans? Not necessarily. How to balance that is not going to be easy but it's been done before, and in some cases there was never a hardcore audience to start with so one had to be built. If TOS had none, there would have been no continuation and for the same reasons Mr Ed and My Mother The Car haven't been rebooted yet. And nobody's ever going to touch Leaver it to Beaver and not for the obvious, innuendo-laden reasons. Look at how I, Spy and other reboots were mangled and that's closer to the most predominant reason.

There I go digressing again. It's like dandruff, it gets almost everywhere... you're right; VOY - given the way it was laid out - would not stand a chance. Even as a premise, of some spaceship being flung across the galaxy and encountered exotic critters to fight and in the name of protecting the Earth - didn't Flash Gordon do that? And that was not a huge hit, despite ultimately becoming a cult classic... in other words, if there's a way to disprove you wrong I hope somebody else can think of the facets. :D

2. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

I disagree with the above (some of it anyway). To make a Voyager movie you don't need to condense seven years of the series, just as to do a TOS movie you didn't need to do that, and for TNG movies that wasn't true either... Not that these movies were always good... far from it...

Anyway, what you could do is take a big story "a la Voyager" in the delta quadrant with maybe a quick explanation to the audience (that they are stranded there and trying to get home but you don't need to go into detail) and then you tell your story. It has to be a better story than usual, longer than usual and with more expensive sets, special effects than usual...

That's it! Of course, you need to hire a whole bunch of new actors to play the different parts but that's already been done before so no problem there either...

3. Mina Wolf

Mina Wolf Ensign Red Shirt

Janeway, Neelix and the rest of the crash landed their shuttle into a homeworld planet called Kintaur into the forest where they meet new alien species called Kintaureans.
    Kintaureans are centaur-reptillian species with hard rocked foreheads and horns. They are Native Pack Warriors. They're very tough and very cautous and overly protective of their family but they are truly peaceful, generous, protective, and loyal species. They are very strong and invincible they can easily break any species bones apart. To earn their trust you must go down to your knees and bow your head down and do not move a muscle or look at them. If you look at them you are a threat to them if you move or run you are food to them if you show fear you are enemies to them. It takes 2 minutes for them to observe you smell you touch you getting to know you until they will realize you are not enemies and they will accept your trust and welcome you to their home and offer you food, medical treatment and hospitality. They will also help fight with you as allies and save the innocent. If a person is badly injured and dying the Kintaureans have the special ability to heal them by putting their bare hand on the persons chest as it shows glowing blue light force as the wounds are disappearing and also broken bones back in place its called The Healing Touch.
    Every Kintaurean's names all began with the letter "K" because of their species and their homeworld.
    The crew meets the Kintaurean leader of the tribe name Kruton along with his mate Kreeya they're 2 adult children Kitsa their son and Kita their daughter. As Kruton welcomes the crew to their tribe they began to make friends. Especially Neelix and Kita were getting to know eachother and both have so much in common they began to grow closer as Neelix falls in love with Kita as they become mates for life.

4. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

You mean Neelix marries someone that looks like a lizard from the waist up and a horse from the waist down... Wow! That would definitely make "mating" an interesting challenge.:rommie:

5. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

These days, a Lower Decks episode would be better. Just have the main cast get teleported to Voyager for a season. If they can't get everyone to reprise their roles, their characters could just be silent.

Who wouldn't want to see Janeway chew out Mariner for her sloppy dress? Or the cyborg guy get a holographic replacement implant from the Doctor? Or Harry look enviously at that black pip on Boimler's collar?

6. DataMat

DataMat Ensign Red Shirt

Naturally a Voyager movie would have been the Borg coming to Warth and this time doing some serious damage. And it could have only have been made after the sequel to Nemesis as a movie made around 2004 or 2005.

There is simply 0% chance of a Voyager movie happening now and has been been for over a decade. There is no way you could market Voyager as an ensemble show in a movie format when that show has been off ended two decades now. There's nothing really to say other than Voyager is now well in the past.
    The fact that DS9 and VOY haven't been remastering is sadly telling that those two shows are seen as more niche sections of the franchise. Enterprise would also have been left at SD had it not been HD ready already.

7. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A good movie with Enterprise-E and Voyager working together.

8. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

I like how you think.

9. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Assuming I had all the funding and ability to make the actors appear.

I would probably find something from the DQ to come back and cause a threat that all the crew members felt so obligated to do that they would gather clandestinely without Starfleet permission. Like it’s something stemming from their mutual bond.

Maybe the Ocampa the other Caretaker raised have become warlike and conquered the Kazon. Meanwhile Kes taught all the homegrown Ocampa and has a group of followers of the religion of Kes who want to reintegrate them peacefully. But the warlike Ocampa have learned to repurpose Borg technology to enhance their telepathy to control their conquests with their minds. The Kes followers then turn to the Voyager crew for their knowledge of Borg tech and because they trust them to try to find a peaceful end.

It also wouldn’t be hard to bring elements like the Borg and 8472 in. They could have found it easy to telepathically control ex-Bs through their collective implants and now have started assimilating their conquests to do the same. That would reeeaaallly get Seven emotionally invested.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
  10. JirinPanthosa

Oh and there would have to be a moment at the end where just for a few seconds everyone thinks they’re stranded there again, then someone arrives to send them home.

11. JirinPanthosa

Isn’t Voyager doing extremely well on Netflix? There obviously isn’t enough interest for a feature, but a straight to streaming thing featuring characters from TNG, DS9 and Voyager could generate interest.

12. Bornin1980something

Bornin1980something Captain Captain

They've already tried that, in The All-New Jean-Luc Grimdark Show!

13. JirinPanthosa

And a ton of people watched it, they just didn’t agree with the creative direction.

Danja likes this.
  14. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

Star Trek Voyager: The Wrath of Tuvix

or

Star Trek Voyager: Revenge of the Ensign

15. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

As for the story "Coming Home", the best Voyager episode never made, it can be found at the Kes Website under the link Kes Stories. Link in the left frame of the site.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
  16. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

17. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

A "Voyager" movie or a movie featuring the Voyager cast because there's a difference in my opinion.

Because a Voyager movie would have to follow the premise of Voyager being lost in the delta quadrant, changing the premise means it's not a Star Trek Voyager movie, that's why Picard is Picard and not TNG season 8.

Unpopular opinion:

To do a movie I'd recast and reboot, I'd reduce the number of characters because having 9 main characters is too many, TNG didn't even manage to give all 7 meaningful scenes in their movies.

The characters I'd use:

Janeway
    Paris
    Torres
    Kim
    Neelix
    Kes

I can already hear people screaming "But the doctor was the best character!" and sure, he was great but unless the story specifically focuses on medical issues a doctor is also an unnecessary character.
    This version would see most of the crews die when thrown into the delta quadrant, the maquis and starfleet crews together are only around 30 people, with the raider heavily damaged the maquis transfer to Voyager and the raider is stripped of warp coils and every usable piece of equipment and spare parts to give Voyager the best chance.

Janeway is pretty much the same as she was in the show
    Paris gets Chakotay folded into him, Paris backstory is the same but instead of getting captured own his first Maquis mission he isn't and is in command of the maquis raider when it's thrown into the delta quadrant, he doubles as pilot and second in command of Voyager
    Torres remains as chief engineer and does everything to keep the ship running, she has a lack of respect for authority but actually gets better along with Janeway than with Paris who she never liked because she's very aware he only joined the maquis because starfleet kicked him out not because he believed in their cause.
    Kim is still a young ensign but I'm moving him to tactical/security, Janeway takes over OPS to directly monitor the ship's operations, with the lack of crew members it doesn't make sense for her to sit in the center seat.
    Neelix is their guide, a trader and a jack of all trades who helps the crew in exchange for taking him along because he made some enemies. He's more Han Solo and less of an annoying hedgehog.
    Kes is the Chewbacca to Neelix's Han, there's no sexual relationship they are friends and have been for a long time (no 9 year life span, that was always stupid). With the ship's replicator system heavily damaged and barely usable it is decided to ban food replication and only use them for medical supplies and necessary equipment that can't be easily procured elsewhere. Kes turns large parts of unpopulated decks into hydroponic farms to feed the crew.

I'm removing the doctor because like I said this position is often unnecessary, Tuvok gets removed to take away Janeway's friend and confidant and isolate her more, Chakotay is simply boring and useless.

I'd have Paris and Kim hook up instead of Paris and Torres, there are too many straight relationships in Star Trek.

Bornin1980something likes this.
  18. Swedish Borg

Swedish Borg Commodore Captain

Or you could make a movie with the children of the crew... Paris and Torres would have two children, one female, and one male. Tuvok's children already exist, Neelix has already an adopted child. Janeway, well she had a secret daughter she never talked about to anyone, turns out the doctor made a mistake and Seska's son really was Chak's. Kim had a child with a hologram, half-human-half-hologram...The doctor is still alive but he's decided to change the way he looks..Seven and her daughter are going to be in as well. All these people get together for one last grand adventure!!!

19. JirinPanthosa

I don’t think you’d need to be stranded to make it a Voyager movie. It’d just have to have their actions in the DQ come back to haunt them.

20. freethinker

freethinker Lieutenant Commander Newbie

Arturis has been assimilated but now thanks to unimatix zero he's free as a Borg and still vengeful about what Janeway has done so he comes back in the Alpha Quadrant with a byzantine plot in mind to take revenge on Janeway and what's left of her crew...