How 'Tuvix' should have ended

I'm gonna be very real with you all. They could have used the transporter and/or time travel to duplicate tuvix and have both survive

Tuvok and Neelix are trapped inside every version of Tuvix, desperate, pained, and suicidal, screaming for their freedom.

Remember in the Lindsay Lohan version Of Freaky Friday when mum and daughter ran into each other as fast as they could, hoping that their switched personalities would snap back to normal..

That would not work with the real crew, but it probably would with the quicksilver crew from the Demon Planet, if they really wanted it hard enough.

I'm gonna be very real with you all. They could have used the transporter and/or time travel to duplicate tuvix and have both survive

Sedate him before duplication and ensure that Tuvix-B never wakes up. It's a good solution, but I'm pretty sure that the transporter accident that doubled up Riker occured under a very specific set of conditions.

What happens if they forgot to scrub the transporter of all the flower residue and then the next time Tuvok and Neelix go for a ride it happens again? Does Tuvix come back? Or is THAT how they got Threevix?

What if Janeway was with them? Would we get a Tuvixway?

Tuvok and Neelix are trapped inside every version of Tuvix, desperate, pained, and suicidal, screaming for their freedom.

Then why wasn't Tuvix ecstatic when the Doc announced that he had the ability to separate them?

I don't want to delve too deeply into the metaphysical, but...

Is he real or is he Memorex?

Something occurs to me.

Tuvix was aboard Voyager for, what, about a month? Did he ever use the transporter? If so, his pattern would remain in the system, right?

Sort of like how they reconstituted Picard in "Lonely Among Us".

Tuvix should have been found out as a Vidiian sleeper agent. Similar to Seska. Voyager did not have a lot of allies in the first two seasons and understandably curious foes. Tuvix was planted to gain the trust of the Voyager crew and gather intel on their technology while the chief of security and morale officer were interrogated and prepared for organ harvesting. Through some miracle Tuvok and Neelix were able to escape and rendezvous with Voyager with Vidiian warships hot on their tail. Tuvix was activated, performs some sabotage, escapes, and then becomes a recurring antagonist before the Vidiians eventually join forces with Voyager to defeat some common enemy. The Phage is cured in the S3 finale and the Vidiians revert to their pre-plague exploratory and scientific ways.

Sedate him before duplication and ensure that Tuvix-B never wakes up. It's a good solution, but I'm pretty sure that the transporter accident that doubled up Riker occured under a very specific set of conditions.

What if Janeway was with them? Would we get a Tuvixway?

Then why wasn't Tuvix ecstatic when the Doc announced that he had the ability to separate them?

Tuvix is his own man, and he probably can't actually hear specific voices.

It's Janeway's argument that Neelix and Tuvok and still inside him as trapped beings.

If the transporter fix was same-day, like in TNG "rascals", then it might not have been so horrible. They let him live for weeks. It was cruel. Ultimately a lose-lose. But I agree, magic tech could have worked here, like why couldn't they store his pattern in the buffer like Scotty and just have all three? It would have made fun tension.

Or at least brought him back in "Shattered". Had one of the "time zones" coincide with when he was still "Tuvixed".

If the transporter fix was same-day, like in TNG "rascals", then it might not have been so horrible. They let him live for weeks. It was cruel. Ultimately a lose-lose. But I agree, magic tech could have worked here, like why couldn't they store his pattern in the buffer like Scotty and just have all three? It would have made fun tension.

This has been one of my primary issues with the episode, and particularly Janeway's ultimate decision. If she fully intended to separate Tuvix, or even seriously considered it, then she should have kept him in stasis. Allowing him to believe that he would be allowed to continue existing was an act of cruelty.

Or even give him the choice of going around the ship knowing his life might be terminated at any time, or staying in stasis until such time as a decision had been made.

It's not that different from TNG's "The Offspring"...can you imagine how Data would have reacted if Admiral Haftel had decided that rather than whisking Lal away they would be dismantling her (assuming she hadn't suffered cascade failure)? Sadly, Tuvix didn't have anyone willing to go to bat for him as Data would have for Lal.

This has been one of my primary issues with the episode, and particularly Janeway's ultimate decision. If she fully intended to separate Tuvix, or even seriously considered it, then she should have kept him in stasis. Allowing him to believe that he would be allowed to continue existing was an act of cruelty.
It never occured to her, or anyone else, that Tuvix wouldn't want to be separated. Were it the case, do you think the Doctor would have pursued the means to separate him?

Indeed, it's maybe a bit surprising that this didn't happen...

EMH: "I'm sorry, captain, but I cannot participate in the surgical separation in any way. I am a physician, and a physician must do no harm. To that end, I have destroyed the radioisotope, and deleted all knowledge of it from my memory."

It never occured to her, or anyone else, that Tuvix wouldn't want to be separated. Were it the case, do you think the Doctor would have pursued the means to separate him?

Indeed, it's maybe a bit surprising that this didn't happen...

EMH: "I'm sorry, captain, but I cannot participate in the surgical separation in any way. I am a physician, and a physician must do no harm. To that end, I have destroyed the radioisotope, and deleted all knowledge of it from my memory."

I can see The Doctor pursuing the research to separate him under the presumption that he might wish to be separated in the future (since apparently nobody asked Tuvix), or because Janeway ordered him to pursue it. Pursuing how to do something doesn't necessarily mean one intends to do anything with that knowledge.

I think if they'd asked Tuvix within a week or so of his creation whether he wished to be separated, when he was still getting a sense of who and what he was, and Tuvok and Neelix's deaths were more recent, that he might have been more amenable to being separated. Though he might have still mentioned that he's a unique lifeform, and as such is one of the very things that Starfleet is supposed to be seeking out and embracing.

It's not really all that different from the way when Seven first got stuck on Voyager she wanted to be returned to the Borg...it took time for her answer to change, and even after it did, there were times when she second-guessed that decision.

As I think Tuvix would have wondered, had he been allowed to live: whether it was right that he had asserted his right to exist, but at the expense of two other men who didn't deserve to die any more than he had.

He wasn't a bad person by any means... he just didn't want to die.

Back