Hey, I never noticed that before....

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Warped9, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Captain Rob

Captain Rob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Seeing those pictures of the engine room set makes me think. I wish I could ask the person(s) that designed it what those pipe thingies and side structures behind the grille were supposed to be. And what the reasoning behind the curved ceiling was.

2. Tetragrammaton Invictus

Tetragrammaton Invictus I like Ellie Bishop Premium Member

Just guessing but could the curved ceiling be the inside nearest the hull?

And those slanty pipes could be injectors

3. scotpens

scotpens Vice Admiral Premium Member

I'm not sure about the pipe thingies, but IIRC, the curved ceiling was because art director Matt Jefferies intended the Engineering section to be in the upper part of the cylindrical secondary hull. Of course, the scale got all thrown out of whack when the Enterprise's original putative length of 500-something feet was nearly doubled to 947 feet.

JonnyQuest037 likes this.
  4. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Yes, the ceiling is certainly the inside of the top of the secondary hull.
    The giant tubes behind the grille, to me, are connected to similar tubes that run up the pylons to the engines. They may be warp plasma conduits running to and from the dilithium reaction chamber.

5. alensatemybuick1

alensatemybuick1 Commander Red Shirt

I've always thought it amazing the degree of thought Jefferies put into making the interior arrangements of the Enterprise match up with the exterior, esp. as most of that would be lost on the average viewer. I've mentioned before he "observation corridor" set (used only once) meant to overlook the hangar deck, but the curved ceiling of the engineering set is another good example of this. Of course, Andrew Probert took it to a whole different level with the refit Enterprise, and as a kid I marveled at the David Kimble cutaway Enterprise poster that came out with that film.

I've wondered if Jefferies at the time of TOS and Probert and others at the time of TMP worked under any imperative by Roddenberry to make the scales / interior arrangements plausible, or if they took that upon themselves (perhaps out of their sense of love for the subject), at least to the degree they did. I recall a version of the TOS writers guide indicating that the Enterprise's saucer section alone contained 20 decks, suggesting Roddenberry and/or whoever else wrote it didn't give as much thought to scale (or presumably how the sets fit within the ship) as Jefferies did. I recall David Shaw saying as much at least once...and yet evidence exists that Roddenberry had very specific ideas for modifying the filming miniatures from their 2nd pilot configuration to what we saw in the regular series, suggesting an "attention to detail" that was very important to him.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017 at 6:00 PM
  6. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Commodore Fleet Captain

According to MA, "Sevrin was a Vulcan in an early version of the script." (of "The Way To Eden")

I'm guessing his name was a holdover from that script, then? One name only, S name...So basically, we could have gotten Sybok a lot sooner? :vulcan:

Spocko likes this.
  7. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Just watching The Cloud Minders. When Kirk & Spock beam to the Stratos gallery, Spock says something like, "This is the most amazing example of sustained anti-gravity I've ever seen." And immediately Droxine walks in with that skimpy dress with improbable support and I thought, "Yes, yes it is." :vulcan:

:D

I'd never noticed the timing of that line and her entrance before. Can't help but wonder if it was an in-joke.

Poltargyst likes this.
  8. Tetragrammaton Invictus

20 decks in the saucer? Doesn't look that way when you watch the show.

I thought the refit movie Enterprise had about 14 decks in its saucer.

9. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There's a similar thing going on in the briefing room set. The walls have buttresses that give you an idea of where in the ship the room might be located, and it also evokes a subtle nautical feel. That's something that was lost in the sets for subsequent versions of the Enterprise.
    That's pretty much what I believe, too. In my mind those big pipes (built in forced perspective, BTW) crisscross up above the Engineering set and lead into the pylons for the warp nacelles.

Of course, you don't really need to know what those pipes are or how they work to enjoy the show. All you need to know is that they're big, powerful, and they serve some vital function in keeping the ship powered. :techman:

10. Tetragrammaton Invictus

And don't forget those small pipes you sometimes saw in corridors that connect from the wall to the floor. Some of them marked GNDN. "Goes nowhere does nothing"

11. scotpens

scotpens Vice Admiral Premium Member

Franz Joseph gave the TOS Enterprise saucer 11 decks, which seems about right.

12. Tetragrammaton Invictus

13. Captain Rob

Captain Rob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In regards to the curved buttressed wall of the briefing room set. I just recently caught "Way to Eden".
    During Spock's duet in the briefing/rec room we see Adam slip out through a passage past the left end of that curved wall. Through one of those grill work partitions.
    The curved wall and supporting buttresses suggest an external hull section. But Adam's exit would have him ending up outside the ship.

14. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:shrug: Third season, man. They did all sorts of weird shit that didn't make any sense. ;)

Gary7 likes this.