Hey, I never noticed that before....

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Warped9, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Shatner wasn't as short as Robert Conrad or Richard Basehart, but not as tall as he wanted to be perceived.

Lance likes this.
  2. Gary7

Gary7 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Near Manhattan ··· in an alternate reality
    I seem to recall a few shots here and there where you can see that next to Nimoy, Shatner is a bit on the short side. They did hide it pretty well most of the time. TNG exposed it a few times with Riker (very tall) and Stewart (modest height).

One thing I'd noticed a bit in the first few episodes of the 1st season was the occasional appearance of the Cage pilot pistols. Very cool to see it return from time to time. Obsolete but still effective. It appeared in "The Cage", "Where No Man Has Gone Before," "The Man Trap," and "What Are Little Girls Made Of." Of course also in "The Menagerie", but I don't really count that because it was just footage from "The Cage." The prop didn't make a physical appearance, just in video recap. Apparently it was mentioned in "A Private Little War" but never seen. They really could have used it one last time in "Whom Gods Destroy," letting one of Garth's alien henchmen brandish it...

Lance and JonnyQuest037 like this.
  3. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Fair point. :) I always just assumed it was meant to be the lifts in his boots, but obviously I could be wrong.

4. Myko

Myko Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Watched a bit of Naked Time yesterday, and the crewman who obstructs Janice in the corridor (named Moody by her in her next scene on the bridge) sings "I'll take you home again Charlene", instead of "Kathleen".

5. Gary7

Gary7 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Near Manhattan ··· in an alternate reality
    I watched "Shore Leave" again recently. It's a fun episode, I'll give you that. Nice to see the crew outside on an Earth-like planet, and a majority of the episode was spent outside (not many did).

But what I find befuddling is how long it took Kirk to recognize that the minds of the landing party were being read to manufacture people and objects. There is absolutely no credible way someone like Finnegan would just happen to be on a remote planet, looking like he did 15 years ago. If he's an illusion, then some intelligence is on the planet manipulating his mind. And then... projecting that into the minds of everyone, so they see him too? Kirk treats Finnegan like he's Finnegan... rather than an alien or some unbelievable hallucination.

As I'd see it:
    FINNEGAN: You never know when I'm going to strike, huh, Jim? (hits him on the jaw) How's this? Come on, come on. It's me, Finnegan. All right, Jimmy boy. (maniacal laughter) Go ahead, lay one on me. That's what you always wanted, isn't it? Come on. Come on.
    KIRK: You are not the Finnegan I once knew. He's living far, far away from here. You're a very accurate representation of him, but... Who are you, and what's happening to my people?
    FINNEGAN: I never answer questions from plebes, Jimmy boy.
    KIRK: I'm not a plebe. This is today, fifteen years later. You can't be Finnegan!
    FINNEGAN: I'm being exactly what you expect me to be, Jimmy boy.
    KIRK: This is getting nowhere. I know you're not an illusion. Your slug across my jaw sure felt real enough. So obviously someone went to a lot of trouble to scan my mind, find my memory of Finnegan, and... "manufacture" you. Am I right?
    FINNEGAN: You sure are a smart one, Jimmy boy. I guess all that studyin' paid off for ya! (maniacal laughter)
    KIRK: OK, then. Change of plans. I don't need you to be Finnegan. Please take me to your creators!
    FINNEGAN: No can do, Jim.
    KIRK: Why not?
    FINNEGAN: It's not the way the game is played, Jimmy boy.
    KIRK: OK, well, why don't I beat the tar out of you until you're unconscious, then smack your head with a large rock so I can see what you're made of. How does that sound?
    FINNEGAN: That wouldn't be very sportin' of ya, Jimmy! (throws dirt in Kirk's face, then runs off)

OK, well... I guess he wouldn't have made much progress anyway. ;)

CorporalCaptain likes this.
  6. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer Moderator

I believe he actually sings "I'll take you home again, Janice [pronounced Ja-Neesé]."

Spocko likes this.
  7. Green

Green Commander Red Shirt

That's exactly right. It took till I heard it from a good set of speakers before I ever really caught that.

8. Myko

Myko Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You're right! He never gets to sing the final syllable though, but that's definitely an N in there and not an R.

9. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

Franz Joseph didn't make that decision. He was following the description of the ship in The Making of Star Trek pretty closely. The deck count (and the features found on each deck) are all described therein. It was his primary source.

--Alex

10. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Commodore Commodore

That's right. FJ devoured the details in TMOST. A misleading shadow in the Phaser-II photo even affected his drawing of the prop.

11. Tetragrammaton Invictus

Tetragrammaton Invictus I like Ellie Bishop Premium Member

12. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk The Ghost of Tom Joad Premium Member

The Making of Star Trek

13. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Adam was being considerate. Apparently his farts really smell so he stepped outside (the ship) for a moment.

King Daniel Beyond likes this.
  14. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, yes. And it would then follow that he wouldn't mind, what with the mind being manipulated and all...

The heroes are drunk with happiness throughout the adventure, just as the creators of the amusement park would have their customers be. McCoy dies? No worries, let's proceed with this fine adventure here! I got to shoot a gun, whee!

Odds really are that they are more or less literally drunk, either with a chemical prevalent in the air, or with a telepathic equivalent.

Timo Saloniemi

15. Spock's Barber

Spock's Barber Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

After Kirk is rescued near the end of The Tholian Web, there is a flyby shot of the Enterprise that shows the underside of the Engineering section. There is a huge gold circle with red trim. I realize that it is a remastered version, but I still can't figure out what that circle is. Maybe a Federation symbol? :shrug:

16. GSchnitzer

image.jpg

Spock's Barber likes this.
  17. Spock's Barber

Thanks for posting that screen cap, GS. That gold/red circle must have some purpose or function.

18. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Commodore Commodore

It and the others might be some kind of push-out panel?

Spock's Barber likes this.
  19. Spock's Barber

Allow me to paraphrase Spock : "That sounds logical. " :)

20. GSchnitzer