HEROES 3x06 "Dying of the Light" Discuss and Grade

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Oct 20, 2008.

?

Grade the episode

1. Excellent

39.2%
  2. Above Average

39.2%
  3. Average

15.2%
  4. Below Average

5.1%
  5. Poor

1.3%
  1. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

I don't know. This has hurt my overall opinion of the show, I expected more from them. This could be a deal breaker for me.

2. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

If this had been Smallville, Peter would've killed everyone in the room, the daddy confrontation would've lasted like five seconds, cut to commercial, come back to Peter's apartment where he's angsting away with Elle and Claire while the latest hip young artist's song plays away.

3. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

In the first episode, Nathan was likened to his father in being an "alpha dog". And Nathan's morals were ambiguous at best that season.

Somebody who can switch around other people's powers...for instance, give Claire Hiro's time/space manipulation while giving Hiro Claire's regeneration. For some reason, I once thought of this as an interesting power for Ando to have if they ever gave him one.

4. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

I'd like to see Nathan go all alpha male medieval on his father. I'd like to see Nathan have something to do. How about beating up Peter for shooting him? He can now that Peter has returned to the land of the mortals.

5. Shintaek

Shintaek Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Above Average, with somethings I have to say. You might want to stop reading now....

1. I didn't see the previous episode because the ALCS game was more important, of course :D, so why is Mohinder putting every "special case" into his umm snot? :rommie:

2. Yay! Peter's powers are gone (for now) so the world wont be destroyed... at least by him but he seems to be the cause of its destruction 95% of the time.

3. If this is a family issue, can the lower the number of vignettes? Especially Mohinder, he's not so interesting anymore and might as well join Pinehurst.

4. I loved Hiro's ironic comment that Ando is racist because a group of people all look the same. "Mr. African Isaac" :bolian:. Ando needs to wear less clothing, like most of the chapter, preferably shirtless. :drool: :rolleyes: :rommie:

6. Mallet

Mallet Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wonder if Arthur dies does everyone get their powers back?

Also, it should have been Sylar as the one who got drained of powers, not Peter. I mean Peter finally started using all his powers there. He finally got cool with his beat down of Sylar and his assault on Pineherst. But then he gets his powers drained... Bummer.

At least when he gets his original power back somewhere down the road he will be able to quickly absorb new ones (or most of the same ones over again.)

7. the Dagman

the Dagman Commodore Commodore

No, I think that he uses his sons like you would use a sponge to collect water. Peter didn't duplicate the powers his father took from him because of the nature of Arthur's power, he takes them and he does not give. And like wringing water from the sponge, you don't take any of the sponge itself and it can go collect more water after you are done. Only this time, Future Peter (who got repowered by reencountering people with those powers like Claire, Elle, Hiro and Sylar) made sure his father took a piece of Sylar's "sponge" by having his younger self absorb Sylar's power and hunger before Arthur resurfaced and cleaned current Peter out. Remember that this season's future painter said everything had changed after that.

One thing to look forward to: Now that he has no regeneration, look for Peter to get the scar his future self had.

Arthur Petrelli took great pains to make sure his powered offspring were separated. He kept Peter, but adopted out Gabriel/Sylar and Claire. And he used Nathan as a science experiment. As to why and what the ramifications of his taking Sylar's hunger, I don't see that yet. But I do see where they are using quite a bit of what they have shown us so far. They have given Arthur a flaw in his armor he doesn't know he has yet. Maybe it makes him too reckless and induces everyone to band together to put him down where before he operated behind the scenes and he wasn't revealed until it was already too late?

8. Meredith

Meredith Vice Admiral Admiral

What if Adam was a baby that had the powers at the end of the season caused by Mohinder's crazy insane experimentation, that either peter using Hiro's powers or Hiro himself takes back in time to England to be raised by a foster family who becomes Adam.

Adam is created by Mohinder as a baby and it taken back in time by Hiro for some reason not known yet....

What if Aurthur's powers he gains by sponging wear off after a while, ie. he can't keep them indefinitely like Peter and Sylar can. Could explain why he was hospitalized, he may have had healing powers at some point but they wore off and he got sick and had to get the healing powers, Made Sylar crazy and sent him on a mission to take power from claire, failed, ended up using Adam when he showed up.

9. cyph

cyph Captain Captain

Very interesting points, sir.

:techman:

10. The Old Mixer

Interesting theory....

Well...for one thing, it would make it a lot harder for him to lead a group of super-villains, if he's distracted by his hunger to have a look at their brains....

11. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Is "The Hunger" really such a handicap? It seems more psychological than anything else.

12. The Old Mixer

They made such a big deal about setting "the hunger" up via Peter, only to take it away from him so quickly. Seems like we're bound for some payoff via Arthur.

13. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I haven't bothered to watch but that makes the posts even more interesting to read. For instance, since Sylar was evil maniac for all of season two, which wasn't so hot, why is everyone convinced that turning him back into Gabriel is such a bad idea? If Eeeeeeevil Sylar was such hot shit, shouldn't exciting stories be easy to write? Except they weren't.

It's also fascinating that no one talks too much about Bennet any more. Since he was turned good, he really isn't an interesting character any more. Whether or not they did a full fledged redemption arc for him, an evil Bennet would give Claire real angst, wouldn't it?

On the other hand, there are no posts about Mr. Muggles' character development.:(

14. CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah it should be difficult for him not to eat the people he's recruited.

Actually I just realized his power is a sort of a rip off of Jordan Collier from the 4400 (combined with Rogue's power of course). That's another similarity to The 4400 this season.

15. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

16. Assimilated Tom

Assimilated Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't see why we should expect Peter to be able to re-power: logically, if Arthur drains all powers, Peter should have lost his "power sponging" power, not just his acquired abilities. He shouldn't even be able to get powers anymore.

Now, if they're going for the Sylar redemption angle, Sylar should be able to modify Peter's brain to give him his abilities back. After all, that's how Sylar's been giving himself powers all this time.

17. The Old Mixer

18. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Interesting this week's graphic novel showed something which could have been seen with the episode. Pity we never got to see it.

19. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

We'll see what happens, but dramatically, it works better if Peter can't even re-absorb powers anymore.

Yeah, I guess they can do that now. I've been wondering how Peter could possibly get a scar.

20. the Dagman

the Dagman Commodore Commodore

My theory that Peter's base power remains is based off a couple of observations. First, Future Peter still had them but was using different absorbed powers outside of the basic TK. The serum seems to give random abilities (based off observations of Niki, Tracy and Nathan), so the odds that it would give Peter the same ability he had before are very remote. It is more likely that my sponge theory is what happened than randomly getting the same power again via the serum.

Sylar cannot go into Peter's brain to rewire it as he does his own now because Peter no longer has Claire's regeneration, his father has it now. If he did that now, Peter would wind up just as dead as Alejandro and the rest of Sylar's victims.

And then there was the fact that in the preview for next week we saw Arthur Petrelli handcuffing Peter to a chair in a cell and telling him he's grounded until he comes over to daddy's way of thinking. If Peter has no abilities, why handcuff him? He would be no threat at all. So why? To keep him away from other specials and getting new powers.

Hiro will likely go to Pinehurst next episode, see Peter shackled in his cell, teleport in to save him and, just like that, Peter will have Hiro's abilities again and teleport himself out. Most likely to Claire first for regeneration the following episode, then Elle for offensive lightning power the next episode, and then his brother Nathan for some flight four episodes from now. Then in episode 11 he goes to get Sylar, regains a TK ability, and the brothers Petrelli go to kick some daddy ass for a two episode chapter finale. Or something along those lines.

ETA: I also would not be surprised that Nathan once had similar abilities to Peter and Gabriel/Sylar and that his father took too much in an early power collecting experiment that left Nathan alive but totally powerless. Giving Nathan the need to take the serum to have any power at all again. After that experience Arthur learned to take all but his son's base power. Why? When Arthur takes them from anyone other than family, he kills the special as he did Adam Monroe. With his son's, he can send them back out to dupe the powers again and he is able to feed off the same powers over and over. He is conserving his food that way. And the serum he is making is designed to turn the entire human race into food for Arthur Petrelli.