Spoilers Has "Discovery" impacted how you now view "TOS" episodes?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Jayson1, Apr 27, 2019.

1. Delta Vega

Delta Vega Commodore Commodore

Star Trek will always be the bench mark, no question
    I thoroughly enjoyed Discovery, warts and all, and liked that it enhanced a character who I had almost forgotten about, ie one Christopher Pike.
    It's perfectly acceptable to like one show, both, or neither.

2. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Yes it did. Clearly.

That's a pretty big "other than..." :lol:

If people want to pretend that DSC is an alternate reality to the rest of the series well.... I guess everyone is allowed their head canon.

Doesn't make it true, though.

3. starbuck

starbuck Captain Captain

No i still enjoy tos, discovery is just trying to update trek for new fans why they set it before kirk i don't undetstand,but saying that i liked pike and want to see more of him and the enterprise.

4. Doc Mugatu

Doc Mugatu Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Has "Discovery" impacted how you now view "TOS" episodes?

I don't really see how ST: Discovery could not help but affect how we view ST: The Original Series. It is especially noticeable to me because I was watching S2 of Disco while also re-watching S1 of The Original Series. "The Menagerie" two-parter, for example, has added impact simply because we now know Captain Christopher Pike better. We've now experienced him at the peak of his capabilities as well as the strength of his character which exponentially increases the sorrow felt when we see the horror of what happened to him. At first Pike was almost a prop, then they released The Cage in full and we felt a bit more sympathy, and they now gave us 14 episodes of Captain Pike which adds even more gravitas and sympathy to his plight.

We judge and form opinions on things by what we know at the time. As we learn more we at least should be open to revising our initial estimations. It is the danger of prequels and sequels as it is a double-edge sword. For me, it enhanced how I saw Pike and, as I've mentioned elsewhere, it is has ruined the character of Harcourt Fenton Mudd. I also do not believe that, ultimately speaking, Discovery did any favors for the house of Sarek. While Ethan Peck was fantastic as Spock, the Burnham-Spock connection was not needed to tell the story, therefore, it was a gimmick. Be that as it may, it is what it is.

johnnybear likes this.
  5. uniderth

uniderth Commodore Commodore

Interesting statement considering it is those who insist it is the same universe that are asking us to pretend the the Enterprise really looked like the Discovery version.

There's just no way to reconcile these two series without going to extreme explanations. And as stated before, unless creators intent is seen on screen then it's not canon.

C57D and StarCruiser like this.
  6. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Sure there is. "Artistic license". There. Done. Just like it's been done many times before in the franchise.

A lot of it was explained in Season 2, but if I remember correctly you don't watch the show.

You can state anything you like, as many times as you like. According to the owners/creators/writers/producers/directors of the show, Discovery is in the same timelines as TOS.

I am perfectly fine with that.

7. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

To me, TOS is its own thing which stands on its own merit, head and shoulders above the rest of the franchise. The other shows can do whatever they want, which may or may not be consistent with the original and true Star Trek. But none of that affects how I understand the context of TOS itself as a self-contained series.

Kor

C57D, BillJ, johnnybear and 3 others like this.
  8. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

You know to expand this to something that is still I think is on topic is it didn't occur to me when I made the thread whether other stuff may have have done this before. For example with books. I think most of us have accepted the idea that McCoy was once married and had a daughter named Joanna which I think was only used on books. That knowledge though has I know for me impacted how I think of the character.

I think I now see Sulu as gay because he was in the Kelvinverse. Only pause because Takei didn't want it but it does sort of impact how I think of the character. Makes me even wonder if Demora was adopted or he was married or in love and they had a surrogate.

Also Spocks "I had no regrets"to Data about choosing a Vulcan life has always impacted how I feel and now that we see in "Discovery" it makes you really wonder how he came to this new outlook. Perhaps it's just taking stock at his life and being happy with the life he has led.

Jason

9. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Since I also include Continues and New Voyages/Phase II - the episode "World Enough and Time" fleshes Sulu and Demora out a little further. Not much, except it gives viewers insight on what kind of father Sulu probably was.

Now this is where we disagree. I have an extremely hard time with DISCO's portrayal of Spock and Sarek's relationship. It seems that at the end of Season 2 whatever hard feelings between those two should have been ironed out. Yet come "Journey to Babel" those hard feelings have resurfaced and been there for years. It's hard to justify the two, especially since, by the time of "The Search for Spock" we now how emotional Sarek is about Spock.

Of course, TNG did the same thing and by the time of Unification we see that Sarek and Spock are again cold and distant.

10. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

It's going to be harder watching The Menagerie going forward, for one thing.

11. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

For me - it's added more depth and background to repeated viewings of TOS - "The Cage" and TOS S1 - "The Menagerie I & II" - but other than that, nope, hasn't changed a thing with how I view look at TOS <--- Still the BEST series in what is now the "Star Trek Franchise". :)

johnnybear likes this.
  12. Jayson1

I agree TOS is the best. DS9 and Orville come in close and I got to list TNG simply because of nostiga and being the thing that made me a Trek fan back in the day.

Jason

13. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sarek's motivation for denying Michael's admission to the science academy sheds some light on his strained relationship with Spock.

I think Anson Mount's subtle portrayal of Pike adds perspective to the appearance in the Menagerie.

I found Ethan Peck's Spock to be a bit too melodramatic in places, although some of his bitchy exchanges with Michael work well to highlight his sense of humour, and foreshadow his relationship with McCoy.

The portrayal of a younger, more dangerous, Mudd works well. Roger C. Carmel gave Mudd a really sinister undercurrent which was masked by bombastic bravado but he gave you chills when the mask dropped for an instant. Rainn Wilson has played it with less melodrama and is quite a credible antagonist.

[SPOILERS] The notion that he may have found the robot planet from I, Mudd, years before they decided to imprison him is interesting.
    [/SPOILERS]

The real revelation for me though has been Mia Kirshner's portrayal of Amanda. I felt Winona Ryder was given nothing to work with. She was fluffy and written purely so that NuSpock could mourn her, giving the character (like so many of the women in the new movies) no respect.

Kirshner's portrayal on the other hand is great. She has a strength and sense of humour like Jane Wyatt's portrayal. We see a woman used to wielding influence as the wife of an ambassador; a woman who finds ways to cope on a planet where emotions are considered to be unsavoury, and a woman who can be quite innovative.

My main beef with Discovery has always been the technology. I don't mind a visual make-over for a modern audience, I don't mind alien tech being retro fitted for a few episodes, but don't try to retrospectively upgrade Federation technology in ways that affect the story. No casual site to site transporting, no wondrous new method of space (or time) travel, no fleets of battle ready fighter craft, no changing the size of the Enterprise for no reason etc. They tried to drag Trek in their preferred direction and it was like nails being dragged down a chalk board for me.

That said, in Star Trek Beyond, I cared way more about the fate of the Franklin than I did the Enterprise, so maybe it's just me being a dinosaur.

14. Jayson1

My issue with Amanda and this sort goes back to the first time we see her, is why would she have problems being around Vulcans and their suppressed emotions? I always assumed that since she married Sarek and choose to live their that she must have liked the Vulcan way of life to actually want to marry a Vulcan and live on the planet.

Jason

15. Pauln6

I think she does like most of the Vulcan way of life most of the time but sometimes she just has to let rip and be human.

Jayson1 likes this.
  16. NewHeavensNewEarth

NewHeavensNewEarth Commodore Commodore

I first got into Trek through TNG, and I NEVER had an interest in TOS until Discovery. And I think that's true for others, too. It's built a bridge for folks who thought TOS was too dated, cheesy, etc.

Noname Given and Pauln6 like this.
  17. Jayson1

Well I can see that with younger fans. With me it was TNG getting me interested in TOS. I mean even back in 1994 everyone knew TOS was dated looking but I feel my generation was more used to watching old tv shows and movies since we didn't have as many tv options with streaming so it was normal for a 80's kid or 90's kid or teen in those years to watch stuff from the 60's and 70's.

Jason

18. PCz911

PCz911 Captain Captain

Nope

Discovery isn't my show. It's not made for me as I'm not their target demographic. And ... I'm ok with that. If their fans want to say its part of the tos 'canon' also, then that's fine too....for them.

For me, my little Star Trek 'canon' is tos and tng. I'm quite happy in my little universe.

We all can happily co-exist and just enjoy the fact that Star Trek lives on...in some form or another.

C57D and johnnybear like this.
  19. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

TOS for starters is the best followed by TNG, DS9 and VOY and the movies! I liked the first Kelvan film but I haven't seen the final one yet and there I draw the line as anything else does not sit on my shelf!
    JB

20. Pauln6

The third one is my favourite in that while the others were fun roller coaster rides they had too much stupid. They toned down the stupid and showed more respect for the source material in Beyond. It's a shame it suffered due to its release date. It has a character in that is much more in keeping with what I wish Saavik had been (with a Vulcan / Romulan gloss) in STIII.

You should watch it soon!

johnnybear likes this.