Spoilers Halo: Season One - Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by thribs, Mar 24, 2022.

1. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

From this video, the latest episode seems important to the show's story and shouldn't be skipped.

Last edited: May 6, 2022
    DesolationGod likes this.
  2. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

I get the feeling that Kwan’s importance boils down to guarding a space magic door Master Chief will need to use later.

Romulan_spy likes this.
  3. Romulan_spy

Romulan_spy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree. The portal likely transports people to Halo. At some point, Master Chief will find the portal and use it to go to Halo which will be key in defeating the Covenant.

DesolationGod likes this.
  4. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Does it then really need to take up a quarter to a third of the entire shows runtime for this one purpose?

I can't put my finger on it exactly why Kwan's story feels so useless and uninteresting but the main story is Master Chief, the UNSC and Halo and she has basically nothing to do with it and barely any connection so far, so she's simply interrupting the flow of the show for no benefit ( so far). I was a bit annoyed in the beginning about Master Chief as well, all the delays and slow unfolding of the storyline but it was still interesting and the pace quickened with the introduction of Cortana, MC discovering who he was as a kid, the attack on the relic site and so on until we see Halo itself ( if only as a vision but still) and then they slammed on the brakes and devoted an entire episode that has basically nothing to do with the main plot anymore.

1987SpaceGuy likes this.
  5. Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think its more likely she'll go through it since Master Chief will arrive on Halo via ship.

6. captainkirk

captainkirk Commodore Commodore

Being fairly unfamiliar with Halo lore beyond what I've read in this thread, perhaps she uses the portal to get off Mafrigal before the Covenant destroys it?

7. Airmandan

Airmandan Captain Captain

It's frustrating because we had finally started to see some decent plot movement before this episode. This episode kind of slammed everything to a stop.

8. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

Because it is useless and uninteresting. She wants to fight for an independent Madrigal even though there’s nobody else left on Madrigal who shares that goal. It’s a stupid quest with no meaningful stakes and we have no reason to care whether she succeeds or fails. I’m sure her story will eventually connect to the larger story, but in the meantime we’re committing a lot of screen time to a story we have no reason to care about.

Skipper and 1987SpaceGuy like this.
  9. Skipper

Skipper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm at the half of the last episode and I'm a little confused. Are we supposed to care for the independence of Madrigal? Because It isn't still clear for me why their actual situation should be such a bad thing for them. Yes, the current governor isn't a nice guy, but it seems to me everything he's doing is a reaction to rebels' deeds.

10. Charles Phipps

I remind you the governor is actually a Madrigal rebel himself. He just surrendered the planet after the Covenant attacked.

And I actually think Madrigal independence is meant to be a lost cause because Kwan's vision is that her hatred for Master Chief (as the ultimate SPARTAN) is ultimately self-destructive. Not only can she NOT kill him but the only way forward is recognizing his humanity.

Skipper likes this.
  11. Skipper

Thank you, I missed that.

12. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well probably also becuase the whole independence movement was her father getting visions in a desert, paying people to fight, and from that one flashback not seeming to have much of a thought of what to do if they won.

then he dies and the money dries up and they also find out killer aliens area thing.

Charles Phipps likes this.
  13. Charles Phipps

Oddly the most realistic depiction of revolution in a lot of scifi.

ATimson likes this.
  14. Skipper

But in this particular case, why they want independence? Too high taxation? No representation? A human rights problem? Are there some tangible reasons?

15. captainkirk

captainkirk Commodore Commodore

I see it as a parallel to third-world countries that are major oil suppliers that the west relies on, yet are dirt poor. So they want to see the benefits of the deuterium that they're selling instead of all the profits going to the colonial dictator.

Skipper likes this.
  16. Skipper

Considering that they wasted an episode on the daughter of the most important rebel, they could have dedicated a line on two on WHY they rebelled.

1987SpaceGuy likes this.
  17. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

I guess they’d rather face the Covenant without help from UNSC. That’ll work out well.

Actually, at this point, “they” appears to consist of Kwan and nobody else.

Skipper likes this.
  18. Skipper

The only thing vaguely related to the rebellion's reasons are the words of that general killed by the governor:
    Governor: "What good did Jin Ha do for Madrigal?"
    General: "He gave us pride"

Wow! Good motivations, right.

Look, I understand the dilemma of the writers: they can't depict the UNSC as the bad guys, but in this way the rebels seem a bunch of delusional fools who don't even know why they are fighting.

ATimson likes this.
  19. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

I see the dilemma slightly differently; people are already complaining about the Insurrectionist plot, which is pretty clearly feeding into something else anyway, so it seems counterintuitive that the solution to people wanting to get the Insurrectionist plot over with is more Insurrectionist plot, which will eventually become moot anyway.

20. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

If they ( the producers) are really twisted bastards they intentionally made the audience dislike the character and storyline so when the Covenant glasses Madrigal and her alongside the episode will be rated a hard 10 everywhere :lol:

Airmandan likes this.