Great episodes with ONE moment that make you cringe

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by JonnyQuest037, Sep 17, 2017.

1. velour

velour Commander Red Shirt

Apparently Sisko was a student of history. What he said about Las Vegas of that era was more or less accurate. He didn't want to play pretend and pretend that segregation didn't exist at that time. That didn't seem unreasonable.

It may be questionable whether a 24th century person would get so upset about it. But Sisko was a passionate person. He seemed to have a passion for African culture. He was also passionate about creole cuisine. And he had a love for baseball and baseball history even though professional baseball went extinct centuries ago. A 24th century man having a passion for baseball. Odd or not.

Sisko's wording may have been out of the ordinary, but his pointing out that particular fact of Vegas history seemed reasonable.

2. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

...Weren't we supposed to move along from discussing this?

Satron likes this.
  3. WarpTenLizard

WarpTenLizard Commander Red Shirt

"Voyager's" episode "Hunters," where they get letters from home for the first time, is beautiful and gut-wrenching... until the end. When CHAKOTAY COMFORTS JANEWAY over her botched love life. And he seems to have completely forgotten the news about the Maquis that literally had him close to hyperventilating earlier in the episode. No one tells Janeway that a forth of her crew is now going to undergo a massive moral crisis. No, forget that crap. We must end with Kathryn's problems, and how Chakotay just lives to serve his queen. (Was Jeri Taylor still onbaord when that episode was written?)

4. Vger23

Vger23 Commodore Commodore

I hate the embrace between Kirk and Rand in "Balance of Terror"

5. JonnyQuest037

Apparently the producers also came to regard that as a mistake, as there was something in a later edition of the Writer's Guide that said that Kirk would never embrace a yeoman on the bridge.

6. JRTStarlight

JRTStarlight Captain Captain

Well, I liked it. I always have. Powerful scene. Great music. They actually thought they might die from so powerful a blast, so the later consequences of holding each other really wouldn't matter that much and were probably the last thing on their mind.

Luckily, they survived due to the limited range of the weapon, and the professionals on the bridge didn't have a problem with it, even assuming they noticed it.

Besides, "embrace" isn't really the best term - it wasn't an emotional sign of affection, but one of mutual support and comfort as they hung on for dear life.

7. scotpens

scotpens Vice Admiral Premium Member

Was that because of the wink-wink anagram names? I thought that was a cute touch. And I loved the way the Department of Temporal Investigations agents were portrayed as stuffy, humorless bureaucrats.

8. JonnyQuest037

I doubt they ever would've considered that same staging with Kirk and Spock, Kirk and McCoy, Spock and McCoy, or Sulu and Bailey, though.

9. JRTStarlight

JRTStarlight Captain Captain

Oh, absolutely. It was a man/woman moment and definitely more a 60's kind of thing. But it wasn't a romantic moment.

10. GNDN18

GNDN18 Flagship of the Federation Premium Member

Speaking of inappropriately timed public signs of affection, I think Mitchell should have minded his helm instead of holding Yeoman Jones’—I means Smith’s—hand. I get that he was supposed to be a genial (sign of the times, eh?), womanizer and all, but that was a bit much.
    029B6E14-DD90-4F6B-B65D-5041D622E4E4.jpeg 3519B63B-FBC3-4865-82B5-421D640AEA54.jpeg DCEE590A-86F5-4D10-90B8-D3EB0CF94E5E.jpeg

11. Brennyren

Brennyren Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Was Jeri Taylor on board? She wrote the episode, so yeah. So of course Janeway losing the dog-sitter is more important than a quarter of her crew losing their friends, allies, and cause.:ack:

In an unrelated issue, does anyone know if Jeri Taylor ever wrote soap operas?

Actually, there was one more thing about "Hunters" that bothered me. Tom spent much of the episode worrying about what his father would say to him, trying to work up the courage to hope that it would be something good but fearing it wouldn't -- and then Dad's letter never got through. Pretty anticlimactic.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    WarpTenLizard likes this.
  12. Vger23

Vger23 Commodore Commodore

I agree. Mitchell was kind of a huge dick well before the Barrier Mutations affected him.

GNDN18 likes this.
  13. WarpTenLizard

WarpTenLizard Commander Red Shirt

Ah. Well that explains a bit.

I recently watched an interview with YouTube reviewer Linkara, where he said that he felt some writers were better when "kept on a leash." That's Jeri Taylor in a nutshell if you ask me. She was capable of writing great stories and emotional scenes, but was CONSTANTLY getting side-tracked by her romantic mary sue fantasies. Which I, as a female Trekkie, find nothing short of embarrassing.

Brennyren likes this.
  14. Smoked Salmon

Smoked Salmon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No, the portrayal. I never cared for it.