General Computer Thread

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Amaris, May 26, 2016.

1. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Google told me about those things.

Very scary.

System restore + turn off automatic updates, and my lap top is back to working order for the moment.

Although, my AVG is demanding that I reboot this laptop to deal with some shitty problems it has, as if maybe that was part of the problem too.

####.

3. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh fuck. I have one. It forced one update... and another one is coming down the pike. Thankfully the first one worked out ok. Glad that they pulled the patches. I'd very angry if it screwed my laptop up as I do not have the money to take it in to be repaired.

And the above is the main reason why I do not like patches and what not forced on me.

Double checked and I'm one behind. (KB4056891)

And the SOB snuck through before they pulled it, as it shows up as Update and Shutdown. I hope that it's gone, but to be on the safe side, I'm backing up my laptop tomorrow.

Damn mine is running on 32 bit Windows 10... (Double checked and it said it was 64 bit, but I'm still wary)

Warning 2: 32-bit Windows does not have Meltdown patches. Beware.

Source: https://gist.github.com/woachk/2f86755260f2fee1baf71c90cd6533e9

NOT happy right now. So anyone with that would be screwed. Great just great. Microsoft can just go buy us all new laptops and PCs.

I've never been this upset with them... the amount of work that would have to be done in the registry.... damn.

Guess for now, I'll switch over to a metered connection. Better to be safe than sorry.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  4. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

Oh oh......... That doesn't sound good

5. Guy Gardener

I time travelled back to Christmas Day restore point, and watched Doctor Who again.

All is good, until I turn my critical up dates back on after the current shit storm settles.

6. Gingerbread Demon

OK sorry I got the impression you had bricked the laptop.

7. Guy Gardener

bad choice of words.

The internet divorcing update made it impossible to get any further updates to remarry me to the internet.

8. Santaman

Microsoft isn't what it used to be.. okay, in the past they have messed up here and there but the since they started with Win 10 things have gone downhill at an alarming rate..

*edit* Hmm Linux Mint 18.3 just bumped me up to a 4.13.26 Kernel, guess that one has the spectre patches, so far I have not noticed any difference.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  9. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Aside from the problems with Windows 10, I got the impression that things were generally improving since got rid of Ballmer. Previously they've had:

Problems with getting people to adopt Windows 8
    Problems with Windows RT, since it only worked on ARM
    The unsuccessful Microsoft-Nokia partnership
    Starter Editions of Windows on netbooks, which were crippled
    Fines from the EU over Internet Explorer
    The decline of Windows Mobile / Windows Phone
    Their involvement with the Rockstar Consortium
    Patent litigation against Android
    Hostility towards Linux netbooks
    The anti-Linux "Get The Facts" nonsense
    The Xbox "Red Ring of Death" defect
    The controversy with the Xbox One launch
    Problems with Windows Vista, even after around six years of development
    The "Scroogle" scaremongering
    The controversial partnership with Novell

10. Santaman

But at least they got their OS's straightened out after a year or two.. 7 runs fine, 8.1 runs fine, by the time they cleaned up the biggest mess in a Win 10 version they bring out yet another stupid version which is pre-beta tested and YOU as user ARE the unpaid beta tester. :wtf::vulcan:

Also Win 10 is spyware, even when stuff is switched off it sends of 1600+ items of so called "telemetry" to M$ so in my opinion they've only declined and not improved.

11. Random_Spock

Definitely. I'm no fan of it. But I do shut off the telemetry when I can. Not that makes any difference... like what you mentioned. They're crossing a line. And this latest load full of crap is one that they can take and shove.

And I found out that one of the more recent updates hasn't even been able to install. :wtf: Version 1709 has been getting stuck in a loop. So it's why my laptop keeps on asking to update. At least from what I can tell.

12. Santaman

Random_Spock likes this.
  13. Gingerbread Demon

My current build is

1709 OS Build 162.99.192

I'm using an FX 6300 formerly a FX 4300 so would any of those be affected?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  14. Random_Spock

Ah. Thanks.

I checked via 'windows 10 version 1709 failed to install' and it came up with this: https://social.technet.microsoft.co...n-1709-error-0x800704c7?forum=win10itprosetup

A very similar answer to what you came across.

Basically MS screwed up.

Also found this that I'm going to look through: https://www.windowscentral.com/wind...update-common-installation-problems-and-fixes

After the back up is done, I might try restarting it tomorrow to see if it helps, if it doesn't then I'll look more at the other options.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  15. Santaman

Meltdown no, some forms of Specter yes-ish, I have a FX 8350 which runs Win 8.1 and it has been patched so no problems to be expected, I didn't notice any change in performance, on the Linux side, Linux Mint 18.3 on a AM1 Athlon 5350, also patched, now on kernel 4.13.xxx also no change in performance that I can notice, will patch a Phenom II later today, it will get Kenel 4.4.109 IIRC or later, I've got two more Phenom II's, both run Win7 and I'll patch them as soon I get the feeling they're good to go since M$ messed up and bricked many AMD machines that run Win7.

16. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

As far as I'm aware, there is no real fix for Spectre variants 1 and 2 - only restrictions that hopefully make their exploitation more unlikely. A real fix requires a design change to both Intel and AMD CPUs (variant 1 only in the latter case). The fix for Meltdown is the real performance killer and I just hope that it isn't also applied to AMD CPUs that aren't susceptible.

17. Santaman

I'll see what happens, I've got a Intel CPU microcode update today for my Intel Laptop.. see if it makes a difference.

18. Random_Spock

Damn.

I hate power companies. Just had a two second power outage that completely f'd a back up I was doing. Was up to 92 percent. Now I have to do it yet again from the beginning and I don't have a lot of space left. :brickwall:

Not bothering right now though until I find out what the hell is going on with the power. I can't afford yet another outage.

Not exactly good timing, given Microsoft's recent screw ups. So not thrilled right now.

19. Santaman

Sorry to hear I hope you'll get it sorted out soon.

20. Random_Spock

Thanks. I hope so too.

Just found out it was even worse... a power surge. It was in the general area, stores were affected by it as well.