Spoilers Game of Thrones Season 6 - Speculation and Spoilers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by 137th Gebirg, Dec 18, 2015.

1. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

The one hint that Jon has a greater destiny that is not likely to change regardless of his "life status" was the potential for him to be a true Targaryen heir, and the revelation of his true lineage as not being a bastard-born son of Ned Stark. Littlefinger was starting to imply to Sansa that there was something going on back then that was not commonly known.

On second thought, I would now actually agree with you that Mel might not have a hand in his resurrection. She may try, and find that she fails and thinks he cannot be brought back to life.

IN FACT, I would now even go so far as possibly thinking that, due to Jon's true nature, what would happen if the Night Watch try to burn the body, in keeping with the standard of preventing the potential creation of a new Walker? What if attempted immolation is what actually resurrects Jon? In the same way that Danny was impervious to fire, perhaps it has healing powers to those with dragon's blood. This could lead to a relatively "intact" resurrection, rather than using the imperfect "R'llhor" method.

2. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

So, who's the guy in the Targaryen armor in the trailer? Is this a flashback depicting Jon's (possible) origin story and his true parentage or is this a present day surviving relative as yet unseen on the show?

[​IMG]

3. Chekov's Phaser

Chekov's Phaser Waiting to be relevant. Fleet Captain

I'm thinking that maybe it's
    the base of the Tower of Joy. Kind of looks like the beginning of something large on the right.

Locutus of Bored likes this.
  4. 137th Gebirg

I don't think it's Rhaegar, as his armor was supposed to be covered in red jewels, and I don't think it's Robert Baratheon fighting the Targaryen, as that appears to be a common sword and not Robert's war hammer. I agree that I t does appear to be the tower of joy. It could also be combat at the Battle of the Trident. Either way, yes, I believe it's a flashback of some kind.

Locutus of Bored likes this.
  5. Locutus of Bored

Thank you both. :)

137th Gebirg likes this.
  6. Bisz

Bisz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Because that choice worked out so well for the entire world for the next 50 years. ;)

7. Bisz

I was born in a Communist country, so my POV is maybe not as outside as yours.

8. Locutus of Bored

Point missed again. Outside observer as in the past can't be changed, we in the present have no influence over it.
    Anyway, this is really pointless. If you want to continue to belabor an offhand comparison, go right ahead. I'm done.

9. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

How do you have the internet and a grasp of literacy then?

10. Chekov's Phaser

Chekov's Phaser Waiting to be relevant. Fleet Captain

But we weren't talking about consequences. Just that some obviously chose Stalin over Hitler, no matter how awful was Stalin.

11. 137th Gebirg

We were actually talking about Game of Thrones, but hey... :shrug:

12. Bisz

No kidding, kind of surprising how many people have such strong opinions on how much better Stalin was than Hitler...

In GoT news, the producers are talking about abbreviated seasons 7 and 8, where instead of 10 episodes each there would be a total of 13 episodes between the two. I truly, truly hope that they don't fall into the so common pitfall of serialized shows of stretching out the early and mid game, and then rushing the ending.

13. 137th Gebirg

That does seem troublesome. I wonder if it has to do with slowing the gears of their production to give GRRM time to catch up with the source material. At the current rate (10 eps per full season), they're likely to have Season 7 in the can by the time he published Winds of Winter. I can think of no other logical reason why they would deviate from a proven successful deployment schedule.

14. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

You could go to 5 episode seasons, starting this year, and GRRM would still be nowhere close to catching up. The catching up ship has sailed.

15. Wouter

Wouter Captain Captain

GOT is hard to make, and the episodes get ever more expensive and complicated as time goes on. It's like shooting 10 small movies each year. The production may simply be hard pressed to keep up, and D&D have indicated a desire to wind down. They only wanted 7 seasons, HBO would like 8 (or more, if there was a chance).

16. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

The latest talk is of going to 8 shortened seasons. Possibly a 7-part 7th series and 6-part 8th. Nothing confirmed yet, they're just mulling over options.

17. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

They better get the story moving then. Remember, the big bad in this series is the White Walkers and we've had 5 seasons of them not really being addressed or making any significant moves. Babylon 5 told their epic in five seasons, had the Shadows on the move in Season 2, then had them out in open conflict for Season 3 and half of Season 4, then had a season of aftermath and wrap up.

GoT has been moving so slowly in this regard that they'll need to start dealing almost exclusively with the White Walkers and less of the political stuff in order to wrap it up that quickly. I hope, after all the years of slow build up, that we don't get some rushed, half assed end to the story.

18. Wouter

Wouter Captain Captain

The White Walkers probably won't get that much episodes once they get their invasion really going. Once they get past the Wall, one way or another, they will have to be confronted relatively quickly and lots of Hardhome-like episodes in a row are unlikely (probably impossible to film on their budget and timescale). Maybe a couple of wins for them at first, in a handful of episodes showing retreat and despair on the Westerosi side(s), and then a big battle episode or double episode that ends with their defeat.

Having said that, Dany's storyline has to mix up with the characters in Westeros (among other things because the dragons are obviously going to play a role against the White Walkers) and time is still needed for that. I hope she lands in Westeros or at least is shown leaving Essos (or making preparations for it) at the end of S6.

19. Marten

Marten Captain Captain

It doesn't really look like a river setting, does it? Then of course, it does not feel mountainous enough to be the Tower of Joy, so who knows.

20. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I think it's meant to be the Tower of Joy (one of the attackers is a dead ringer for a younger Ned Stark) but I note that the men guarding it are wearing Targarean armour rather than Kings Guard White cloaks, as per the books.

people have taken from the fact that Kings guard were guarding Lysana and, presumably, baby Jon, that she must have married Rhaegar. The KG usually only guard the royal family. This would make Jon the heir to the throne.

If Lysana and Jon were only guarded by 'ordinary' Targ troops, this is less persuasive that they were married. However, it could simply be laziness on the part of the costume team or continuity researcher or it could just be that they wanted to show off some cool new armour.