Future of Paramount includes Star Trek tentpole

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RAMA, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

As always, it was a vocal, fanatic, minority segment of the hardcore fan base who hated the movie and did their best to spread the negative word-of-mouth and paint the picture that it was a flop.

It's like people saying Beyond was a flop...that's simply not the truth.

gerbil likes this.
  2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I feel like Beyond underperformed badly at the box office. Not quite a flop, but neither was it the box office statement Star Trek really needed.

Whether it is truly a flop or not, only Paramount really knows.

3. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I absolutely hated Into Darkness, but tried not to badmouth it because I figured we might get a better third movie...and we did. Beyond was quite enjoyable, and I'm bummed it under performed.

4. Vger23

I agree, and maybe it's just semantics...but I've always felt there's a distinction between a "flop" and a "failed to perform as expected." I definitely recognize that it underperformed (kinda the whole reason for my post) but I don't think it was a flop (in my mind- financial and box office disaster) by a long shot.

5. Vger23

Agreed.

I didn't hate "Into Darkness," but it was definitely my least-favorite of the three...and maybe one of my least-favorite of the franchise.

If I'm being realistic...there's very little about the Star Trek franchise that I actually hate. So, it's all relative for me.

gerbil likes this.
  6. PixelMagic

I was reading an article that Paramount needs the cash flow from Transformers 5 badly. Every movie they've made the past 18 months has either outright bombed or underperformed. If the same happens with Transformers, they could potentially not have the cash flow to even stay in business. It would be crazy to lose Paramount after 100 years of being in business.

I am almost certain the Kelvin Timeline movies would be cancelled if that were to happen, and who knows when we'd ever get a Star Trek film again or what kind of film it would be. :(

7. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

The fact that they're relying on a massively budgeted movie like Transformers to get 'em out of a jam is one of the reasons they're in this mess to begin with.

8. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Probably because you didn't read what I said. I posted about the deal in CHINA last year.

9. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

RAMA likes this.
  10. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I've seen some of it posted on twitter.

11. PixelMagic

12. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

The new ceo in an interview with the Hollywood Reporter

Film has become a business of haves and have-nots. Some studios have reliable franchises, some don't. How do you turn this studio into a "have" with what you've got?

We have people, money, resources, global distribution and the reach of almost 4 billion people that Viacom touches around the world. If you can't make that work, something's not right. There is a great executive team here and a lot of very talented and dedicated people who want to win and who, despite disappointments at the box office, have a great sense of purpose, direction and talent. You harness that and look at areas where it can be improved or augmented or expanded. I don't make any prejudgments. I'm just getting to know everybody.

But you don't have many franchises.

Yes and no. There's Star Trek, Mission: Impossible and Transformers. The last Mission was one of the most successful and critically acclaimed of all the films. And we're now making the next one, which has every appearance of being even bigger. There are plenty of opportunities to mine the library and to mine the relationship with our ongoing partner Hasbro. There's a lot of IP here

13. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Kaelef and jaehaerys48 like this.
  14. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

15. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

Even if TF5 only makes Beyond numbers in us, it should still clear 1b ww like F8

16. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

17. Lakenheath 72

Lakenheath 72 Commodore Commodore

18. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Maybe the spell these shitty Transformers movie has had on people has finally broken. Dare I dream for a major disappointment to help Bay finish his reign on a low note? Schadenfreude? Whaaat?

19. Lakenheath 72

Lakenheath 72 Commodore Commodore

Well, it has for me. The fifth film was not as enjoyable as the other films. After a new take on the King Arthur legend, which was the most enjoyable section for me, the film dragged.

20. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

I don't know what Paramount is going to do. Like you said, just about every movie Paramount has released in the last year and a half has underperformed or flopped. Star Trek and Transformers were safe bets, but after Beyond and TF5, it looks like it's down to Mission Impossible 6 to save this studio.

I think only Sony has it worse.