Future of Paramount includes Star Trek tentpole

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RAMA, Mar 11, 2017.

1. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Didn't doubt there'd be another Trek movie.

Markonian, Jedi_Master and RAMA like this.
  3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

But will there be another movie featuring the current cast?

Galileo7 likes this.
  4. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Agree, what if Paramount considers J.J. Abrams three films as a completed trilogy and now want to reboot with new cast, etc.

5. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Star Trek 4 with the current cast is already in pre-production, the press release seems to imply at least that and maybe options for a 5th.

We're a long way from another reboot at this point.

Four Lights and Markonian like this.
  6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Didn't Pine say he hasn't been contacted about a next movie yet?

7. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

So? he signed on for a repeating contract, and his contribution is not required just yet?

Not everyone on a movie has someone banging on their door the moment a movie starts production. If the focus is on his father then Hemsworth may be needed before the rest of the cast, framing an early portion of the film with other characters.

Personally I'm hoping for Kelvin flashbacks and the return of The Robau.

Markonian likes this.
  8. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

That would be a big risk, and Paramount's not exactly in a position to be taking big risks.

9. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I think Paramount should look at rebooting TNG after the 4th Nu Trek movie. A new cast, and era might make it easier to get new fans in and I do think mainstream audiences would be interested in villian like The Borg.

10. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

The talk of an STNG reboot (now 30 years hence) is picking up online, so who knows.

11. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

I'd love to see it. Just a question of whether or not your non-fan will.

12. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

doing a Kelvin verse TNG reboot for Trek 4 instead of another with Pine & Co would be one way of increasing the interest for a new Trek film.. also would sort of make sense in a trilogy wrapped up with the 50th ann way with them shooting off in the new Ent A at the end of Beyond.. paving the way for the Ent D 100 years later.. (similar to Trek IV '86/start of TNG '87)

another way of course would be to make Trek 4 a Generations type thing with Pine & Co encountering post Nemesis TNG..

Last edited: May 29, 2017
    RedAlert, Markonian and Smellmet like this.
  13. Malaika

Malaika Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

if they wanted to take the risk they could do both a fourth movie of this trek AND a tng reboot or some sort of spin off of this trek (yes, I'm totally thinking about what they did with star wars. yes, I know that star wars has a bigger box office draw than trek)
    the pessimistic (or realistic?) in me thinks that it's a lost cause anyway because they haven't really taken advantage of the nate reality and the potential the first movie created, and I doubt they'll finally see the light for a fourth movie. They'll probably go even more backwards in the name of tos nostalgia(tm). Trek will forever be held back by tos and its most conservative and elitist fans and creative teams that are 'stuck' tring to, hopelessly, please them.

photon70 likes this.
  14. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No no -- that's not what they did with Star Wars. It's.... nuSTAR TREK: GENERATIONS! It worked so well the first time... :beer:

15. M-Red

M-Red Commander Red Shirt

Great news.

It shouldn't be all that surprising given Paramount's portfolio and its financial struggles and organizational turmoil.

Trek might not be a Star Wars level box office draw....but what is?

Trek is still --easily --one of their most valuable and durable assets. And this current cast is young with the potential to produce many more films if Paramount conducts the projects effectively.

I'll always maintain that Beyond's box office troubles were the fault of its marketers (ie. Paramount), not its writers, director, or cast. The story was great. The direction and actors were great. The visuals were better than they've ever been. But the marketing was subpar. At this point, Paramount as a studio needs to match Trek as a franchise.

I truly think this incarnation of Trek is just hitting its stride.

Bring on #4.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
    Onid, Markonian and Smellmet like this.
  16. gerbil

gerbil Captain Captain

Paramount needs to figure out how to market a damn movie properly. I was shocked by how few of my nerdy friends had no idea about Beyond when it came out.

And you'll see me pop up and say it all the time but merchandising, merchandising, merchandising. Go to Target or Walmart and look at the abundance of merchandise for the new Power Rangers movie when you walk by the toy section. That's a PG-13 movie aimed at millennials but bring the kids in and you've got yourself a franchise.

Markonian, Malaika and Smellmet like this.
  17. Malaika

Malaika Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

asian marketing for Beyond was far better than the marketing overall. Heck, even their posters are SO MUCH better (with all the characters, so colorful and dynamic. The official international poster looks amateur photoshop work in comparision)
    they had a bunch of other stuff over their weibo ( that's the name?) official page for the movie like some cartoon vignettes of the characters, stills, clips..

18. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't be upset if Beyond was the last ST film with the nuCast.

I WOULD be upset if Paramount walked away from big-budget Trek films.

19. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

I LOVED the asian beyond posters. So much better, colourful and action packed-looking. Much like the film really. I'd love some framed ones with English text but dunno if they exist?

20. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral