Future of Paramount includes Star Trek tentpole

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RAMA, Mar 11, 2017.

1. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

2. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

probably will end up being another 4 year gap..or even 5.. its not like theres going to be no Trek between now. if its a longer than usual gap maybe they can fast track into the WOK movie era (maroons, nacelles, savvik, Kirk with curly black hair)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I think it's time to turn out the lights, the party's over.

It was an enjoyable run, too bad Paramount fumbled things so badly.

Galactic Alignment likes this.
  4. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm sadly forced to agree. The ball has been dropped at this point. 2.5 year intervals are ok. 4+ year intervals and a terrible marketing strategy killed any and all momentum dead.

5. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

I fear you are both correct. This combined with the current trend of underperforming sequels and the fact that it's been a year with no news of a fourth kills it stone dead I think.

Vger23 likes this.
  6. saddestmoon

saddestmoon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I really really want to see the Enterprise 1701-A in action... :sigh:

Vger23 and Markonian like this.
  7. Smellmet

So do I. Without getting it's arse handed to it or getting destroyed either.

saddestmoon and Markonian like this.
  8. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

Judging by the previous installments, they should probably already be casting for John Harriman :D

9. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

Markonian likes this.
  10. Smellmet

It'll be 2020 at least at this rate.

11. Visitor1982

Visitor1982 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There will be a 14th Star Trek movie some day, but it could be something totally different from the last three films. I'm fine with that.

12. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

Discovery The Motion Picture?

13. Visitor1982

Visitor1982 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^
    Dr. Pulaski - Pigs in Space!

14. saddestmoon

saddestmoon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

With the setup in beyond being the Ent 1701-A having the most advanced navigational deflector of any starfleet starship, it makes me wonder if Star Trek 4 will focus on the exploration of space, which will lead to a discovery that brings George Kirk back to the Kelvinverse...

15. Lakenheath 72

Lakenheath 72 Commodore Commodore

Here is the release schedule for 2020:

https://www.movieinsider.com/movies/-/2020

The attention is shifting toward the new show. I believe the future of Star Trek is with Discovery.

In an article with Karl Urban, who would like to play McCoy again, it is stated that Paramount has not green-lighted the next film. So, little to nothing has happened in a year. Though the film franchise is not dead, it is dormant.

http://www.cinemablend.com/news/1686080/another-star-trek-actor-is-hoping-for-a-fourth-movie

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
    Markonian likes this.
  16. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

discovery is an unknown right now. the model CBS is using is iffy. it's not clear people will pay for the service in the numbers they need. the fact that it's on netflix outside the US is helpful, but i wouldn't be surprised if it's not successful. (that is not a hope, just pragmatism.)

release schedules change, we may get one more trip to the kelvin timeline.

17. Lakenheath 72

Lakenheath 72 Commodore Commodore

Other then the books and comics, which fill a niche market, there is only the streaming series Discovery. For myself, I am not excited about the series. I am finding it difficult to justify for myself of joining CBS Access for one show. I am not interested in most shows nowadays - I have not been a regular watcher of scripted drama for years. The trailer has not changed my position - it is "dark and gritty". I associate those two words with depression - living in America now is depressing. Why would I add to my depression?

As for the movies, there might be another film set in the universe. As of now, the current indicators point to a franchise which is dormant.

18. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

not to prejudge 15 hours of TV by two 2 minute trailers, but that was exactly my thought. the kelvin timeline really leaned into the utopian vision of star trek, i need more of that in the world right now. regardless, i'll be subscribing.

on the flip side of what i said last night: if discovery is a huge hit, paramount will probably be more inclined to make more kelvin flicks to get their piece of the pie.

gerbil likes this.
  19. gerbil

gerbil Captain Captain

I just wouldn't take any lull in Kelvinverse news too seriously for a little while. Paramount is smart enough not to risk confusing people by releasing or announcing a movie while Discovery is in the spotlight.

Ovation and F. King Daniel like this.
  20. ISS Enterprise

ISS Enterprise Commander Red Shirt

Agreed, Paramount has is a bad position, just hired a new CEO who will reviewing every property they own to determine where to go from here, etc.

ST is a BIG property and can make $$$ for them, they will figure that out eventually, but wouldn't midn them selling it to Disney as they know how to market a product.......