Fun Facts

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Brie, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

How about: "Vulcans never bluff."

You're making me think of a song I heard about holding balls for pleasure.

2. Brie

Brie Commander Red Shirt

I'm sorry Maurice, I didn't know you were on the writing crew of The original series. That was taken right from the writers themselves so unless you know more than them please do tell.

I agree with the prior writer. There is large debate over this topic, I'm simply quoting a source. I know there are boards about this topic in particular but no one really knows and as the previous poster "Vger23" said, for you to harshly jump to saying I'm wrong, was premature and kind of rude to be blunt which is why I'm not going to just bow down to you as "right"

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I don't think the writers would have anything to do with the badges worn. That would be the producers and wardrobe. Bob Justman was the Associate Producer on all three seasons of TOS. I believe the above memo is from Inside Star Trek by Bob Justman and Herb Solow.

Simply put, Maurice is right.

There is a blog called Star Trek Fact Check by board member Harvey. You should check it out!

4. BillJ

Just another note on Star Trek Fact Check: Harvey is actually using papers Roddenberry donated to UCLA from the production of TOS. I see it as the most authoritative look at TOS.

Starbase personnel are wearing the arrowhead badge in "Court-Martial" (season 1) and the Defiant crew also wear the arrowhead in "The Tholian Web" (season 3).

5. Brie

Brie Commander Red Shirt

The fact I quoted said it was ORIGINALLY to be used only for the Enterprise, then only later was it adopted as a badge for all of star fleet, that's why you see all the inconsistencies. What was intended and what happened are two completely different stories.

6. BillJ

Did you even read the memo Maurice posted?!? :scream:

You're dealing with both film professionals and people who have studied these shows for decades, you might want to try and be gracious and move on from this particular argument.

7. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

The memo is something that I stumbled across at UCLA. It's not in the Solow/Justman book as far as I know. :)

TOS moderator Greg took it and ran with it in a terrific piece he wrote over at the Phase II website, although I don't have a link right now.

8. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

Gives that Mother Goose rhyme/saying "Diddle-Diddle Dumpling, my son John...a whole new meaning! :guffaw:

9. Brie

Brie Commander Red Shirt

I did read what he posted and I'm saying that just because the writers did chose that emblem doesn't mean there weren't some trial runs where they were originally to have different badges. I'm not just going to "move on" when all I did was cite a quote that said what "ORIGINALLY" was to be done. And I'm sorry but "Be gracious" ? Um I'm not going to be gracious that I'm getting such aggressive kickback for posting a fun light hearted article that was meant for enjoyment not for me to feel attacked based on a fact that I posted. You guys are litterly attack a 21 year old girl for posting an article that she though everyone would find enjoyable. Again what the final product was and what the original idea was are two different topics. My post was what the original idea was, not what came of it. So no I will not be "grateful"

10. BillJ

Thanks for the correction!

I really don't care that you're 21 or a girl, I treat everyone equally. You have a "fact" and Maurice presents an actual memo from the show by one of its producers. I know which one I give more weight too. YMMV.

11. Brie

Brie Commander Red Shirt

The memo is saying what the final decision was, saying what WAS done and what was ALMOST done are two different topics, what aren't you getting about that? We are arguing two completely different topics which you are not seeing.

12. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

The memo points out that a mistake was made. Roddenberry and Justman were the guys in charge, they are the ones making the decisions. I think they would know if they had OKed something. Someone further down the food chain screwed up. Justman's memo was a response to that.

13. Brie

Brie Commander Red Shirt

THIS IS LITERALLY WHAT MY FACT WAS! My fact was that ORIGINALLY the idea was for those badges to be for the Enterprise crew, THEN later it was changed and adopted to all of Star Fleet which is WHY we the the inconsistency in the original series. Whether by accident or purpose they were supposed to have their own com-badges. Obviously they scraped the idea since everyone and their mother is freaking out about this.

We are arguing two stories that aren't even the same. Let's agree to disagree and move on from this rediculousness because neither side is going to cave and this can go on forever and to be honest this is not what I had in mind for this thread. This was a thread for everyone to post fun little facts about Trek so everyone could have a grand old fun time and instead it turned into an inquisition. So can we all agree to disagree and move on because this is going no where (or at least where it's going isn't good)

14. Nerys Myk

No, originally, the badge was for all of Starfleet. Then someone on staff gave a different badge to a different ship. Which prompted Justman's memo which pointed out the error and a request not to repeat it.

15. Brie

Brie Commander Red Shirt

But for all we know wardrobe DID want to do things that way

16. Nerys Myk

Wardrobe isn't in charge. The producers are. Wardrobe works for the producers.

17. Brie

Brie Commander Red Shirt

And stranger things have happened than wardrobe making a small mistake so, who's to say something like that didn't happen

As I said before and I'll say again, let's agree to disagree because neither side will cave.

18. Nerys Myk

Bob Justman says it didn't

Do you know who Bob Justman was and why his "opinion" ( in the form of a memo issue while the show was in production) holds more weight than, well your's or another fan? I don't understand why you can't accept that you were wrong. I was wrong about this very topic for decades. And when present with the evidence that showed I was wrong I was willing to admit it and accept it.

19. Brie

Brie Commander Red Shirt

I quoted a fact, whether that fact is true in your eyes or not I honestly dont care. Take a moment to look at the title of this forum...Got it did you look? It's called "Fun Facts" It was designed to be a lighthearted and fun forum not somewhere for people to agressively force their opinions on others. You were not part of the film crew all you know is the memo which is the view of one person (all-be-it an important one) but it takes more than one person for a show and any number of things could be the reason behind all this. Also this is not my opinion' I'm merely quoting the article my opinion is irrelevant. So let's all just drop it because I'm seriously tired of this. I joined these forums to brighten my day not stress me out.

20. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There you go again bringing sex into the debate, just like with Jadzia... would it be more justifiable for someone to correct (nobody did attack you) me because I'm a 24 year old guy? Because of a few years and a different set of genitalia?
    If you say something wrong or ridiculous you get corrected/called out on it, that's how we learn.

Instead of being upset about being called out on one mistake you could try being happy about the other users that contributed to this relatively fluffy topic.

Back on topic:

-Marina Sirtis compared the hairpiece she wore in season 6 to the hairdo of a country and western singer saying in an interview "Get that ridiculous thing off of me or give me a guitar and let me sing!"
    - Some of the debris seen in "Best of Both Worlds" actually of model figures in it, resembling human bodies. None of it was clearly visible onscreen.
    -The strangely arranged Borg bodies in Scorpion were constructed out of Borg action figures.
    -A large part of the Voyager pilot was shot three times once with Geneviève Bujold, once with Kate Mulgrew with her natural hair and once with Kate Mulgrew in the classical Janeway wig after it was found that Mulgrew's own, fine hair seemed thin and see-through under the harsh lights of Star Trek. Since a lot of the scenes that needed took place on a location shooting made up as the Ocampa city this drove the expenses way up. This was disastrous because Voyager, reusing a lot of the TNG sets was originally planned to be a relatively cheap show when compared with DS9.