For All Mankind Trailer - Apple TV- SPOILER

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Mysterion, Jun 3, 2019.

1. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm almost caught up after slowly making it through the series for the last month. I just saw episode 4 and the rescue of the Russian craft that ended a bit tragically. I think one of my favorite moments of the series might be the black hole sun scene at the end of episode 3. Episodes that stick with me for a long period of time are special episodes and my emotions were almost tears of joy during that scene.

So far I'm really glad they are focusing more on space in Season 3 than the first half of season 2. I thought the first half of season 2 was kinda boring, but when they were dealing with the Jamestown crisis and the Russian takeover of the base, that was a hell of a finale.

2. 1987SpaceGuy

1987SpaceGuy Captain Captain

• Hey Bob (Danielle / Ed) :adore:

• Danielle's job isn't fun with all the crew stuff indeed.

• Kelly making and later also finding extra terrestrial life on another planet :D
    • Ed's "f*cking Russians" gets a whole other meaning :biggrin: - you don't even know her name - this is gonna be a funny reveal.
    • I blame it all on Kelly though after she sussed Alexei not to tell Ed.

• Aleida's "fury" will unintentionally bring down Margo.
    • Margo will loose her job, but might get spared worse/pardoned, if she can show what she gained from Sergei (water coordinates). Hope she can also get his family to safety.

• Danny whatever - please let it all be over soon.

• Tyler: loved how he explained wanting to build better from the start. Hope he gets trough it all - stays on Mars/in Space - thus never gets demoted or whatever and is part of the show's future storyline.

• Hope Ellen comes out publicly ahead of the Larry reveal - what is more important for her: her real self / life or just the re-election... Hope we get to see Pam, even if it is just a happy/satisfied smile regarding Ellen coming out on TV or something.

• May Larry and the Vice president vanish into thin air together...

3. Airmandan

Airmandan Captain Captain

Kelly is definitely gonna get knocked up

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  4. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm going to assume all female astronauts are on birth control or something, but that's obviously not 100% guaranteed so it wouldn't shock me if Kelly does get pregnant. They're on Mars for 2 years so that means a Martian birth. I think there are studies that attempt to question/determine the impact of low gravity or no gravity on fetus development and the health impact IS NOT GOOD. I would think she would need to be transported to Helios and go into their rotating area where they have gravity and even then there's really no guarantee depending on how far along she is before

1987SpaceGuy likes this.
  5. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

It'd be pretty stupid and deeply naïve to have a mixed gender crew go on a two plus year mission and not have them take some kind of precaution. I mean they've had a permanent presence on the moon for decades at this point, so there must already be policies in place (including regular testing.) I mean sure, it's only a 2 day trip to get someone back to Earth, but it's still an extra expense and a logistical hassle to replace a person on the base. Not the kind of thing you want happening when it's not an accident or emergency, much less something quite easily avoidable.

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  6. Skipper

Skipper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My God Danny. I haven't hated a fictional character that much since Joffrey Baratheon. Kudos to the writers.

The Knappos likes this.
  7. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Not even close. Joffrey was entertainingly awful. Danny is just tedious and makes me want to skip through his scenes because it's depressingly obvious where it's going.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2022
    The Nth Doctor, FreezeC77 and FPAlpha like this.
  8. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

This... Every scene with him makes me want to cringe. He adds nothing to the story except for an additional layer of angst that, because they already have tension with the Soviets, isn't needed at all.

The "don't ask, don't tell" angle is going to get interesting, especially with the First Gentleman's affair about to break wide. Ellen is sure in for a shit storm.

9. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Yeah, i don't understand his storyline at all. There is so much going on, so many story hooks that are way more interesting ( Margo's treason, Ellen's Homosexuality, Aleida digging around Margo's Treason etc), why do the writers feel the need to dig into the shitty soap opera toolbox and create this?

Great episode as usual, i absolutely loved the shit eating grin Karen had when she told the Russians her terms for using their personnel and equipment and how the Russians first laughed and then quickly realized she has bigger leverage. Really starting to dislike the russian commander, there's ambition and maybe a bit of ego and then there's just being a dick.

Centre of this episode was of course the reveal of the homosexuality of the astronaut ( can't remember his name) and all the real world parallels concerning the entire issue that our, or rather the US, society dealt with. True to 90s fashion it blew up spectacularly into everyones face and made it even the presiden'ts problem in more ways than one.

Relating to that, what did the last scene mean with those two guys. Did one drop a hint that Ellen might be gay? It's been a while since i've seen the past seasons so memory may be hazy who did what previously.

Kraig and FreezeC77 like this.
  10. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

One of them is a White House aid who's having an affair with Larry, which his gossipy friend is about to blow wide open.

11. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A White House worker who apparently had a sexual encounter in the Oval Office in the mid 1990s... This time it's the President's spouse and not the President though.

Guessing we're going to get an impeachment to mirror Clinton.

12. Kraig

Kraig Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think the scene was edited and is missing some content. I leave the closed captioning on because it translates the Russian and Spanish to English. The captioning started a line right after he says "...why don't they really call it what it is, gays last" about part of the conversation between the aid and his 'friend' that appears to have been cut from the episode, but still left captioned. The scene with captioned unspoken dialog is below:

[​IMG]

I think even more of the bar scene was edited out. The edited scenes would probably make it more clear what he was calling about in the car and was cut from the episode to keep us in suspense until the next week. More than likely he probably found out Ellen was also gay.

13. Skipper

Except her husband, who does know she is lesbian?

14. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

This isn't the first time FAM's subtitles have been from an older cut of the episode or included lines that were substituted out at some point. Some of the reviews I've seen/heard also seemed to indicate there was a more overt and less teasing version of the end of the episode in the screeners where the scandal was less "pending" and more "incipient."

By the way, you should have an option to set your subtitles to "auto," which only shows subtitles for translated foreign dialogue. It's confusing, that's usually just considered "off," but I guess when Apple was designing the app they wanted to distinguish between "only requried subtitles" and "no subtitles ever."

15. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

That line of dialogue was in the episode, it's just coming from the TV news playing in the background.

Kzinti, David cgc and Kraig like this.
  16. Kraig

Kraig Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm guessing anyone her husband has had an affair with could be a possibility, and of course anyone Ellen has had an affair with. Gossip can also spread from secondary affairs by any ex-partners that know, with their new partners. For some people it is hard to keep a secret.

17. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

For one of my sisters-in-law, it’s impossible (as I learned painfully).

18. Skipper

If I remember correctly, Ellen had almost no relationships. And perhaps the husband said nothing about her sexual orientation?

19. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I have a terrible feeling that Will Tyler will not return to Earth.

I should've seen this direction in the story. Mid-90s. Closeted gay president. Of course we were about to see the show's version of Don't Ask, Don't Tell. Even as I hoped for a more optimistic turn of events, I knew the pessimistic turn was much more likely. Not just because Ron Moore is just as known for his nihilistic Battlestar Galactica as his time with Star Trek, but it just made more dramatic sense, no matter how awful it was. That and the flaming homophobic vice president as a narrative glaring red flag. And now it looks like Ellen's compromise is going to be even briefer than I thought.

But the really disappointing thing about this episode is Rolan's volatile reaction to Will's coming out. I figured right away that the odds were pretty high that there would be at least one homophobe in the joint America-Soviet mission and it breaks my heart that it's Rolan. Of course, it makes sense narratively that it would be someone we would care about it. Dani and Kelly would be impossible to believe and anyone else wouldn't be shocking or interesting enough (even Alexei). So it had to be Rolan. And that sucks. Which is the point.

Much like Will's coming out took over America's messaging and Ellen's agenda, this storyline took over the rest of the episode. Yeah, we had some talk about Helios and the Soviets teaming up for a liquid water mining mission which almost immediately came out (of course), Karen went back to Helios (and good on her for arguing for a better, real position...and really stood her ground against Lenara), Kelly and Alexei are going at it in full heat (but he won't spill the beans and she doesn't like it), and, oh, yeah, Danny is popping pills, smashing screens, and ready to go Full Gordo.

Never go Full Gordo.

FreezeC77 and Airmandan like this.
  20. Airmandan

Airmandan Captain Captain

Gordo was at least redeemable. Danny is just turning into a trainwreck that is going to hurt a bunch of people. I worry about the angle of his brother and what future actions that might cause. Him getting involved with the anti-NASA group and conspiracy theorists can only lead to more problems. I could see a storyline where he does something rash if something happens to Danny.

FreezeC77 and The Nth Doctor like this.