First Impressions

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Damian, Dec 27, 2018.

1. ScottJ85

ScottJ85 Captain Captain

well done, you’ve debunked physics forever

2. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

can you show me where I'm wrong?

3. ScottJ85

ScottJ85 Captain Captain

why would I? You haven’t convinced me you’re right.

Agony_Boothb and antinoos like this.
  4. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So you can't find anything wrong with the ABC example, but also aren't convinced of it? XD

Here's another example:
    https://phys.org/news/2012-03-warp-killer-downside.amp

Can you figure out what they forgot about?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  5. Noname Given

Noname Given Admiral Admiral

jadzia..interesting...DS9 spent two seasons giving the character little more than exposition; and using her as window dressing (and she was nice in that function to be sure) until the 19th episode of the second season DS9 - "Blood Oath" where she was suddenly seen to be able to go toe to toe with Klingons in combat -- And up to that episode she had ZERO backstory WRT having anything to do personally with any group of high ranking/well respected Klingon warriors of the Empire <--- It came straight out of the blue.

JoaquinSlowly, ScottJ85 and nicholasm like this.
  6. Mrs. Silvercrest

Mrs. Silvercrest Captain Captain

I have seen the first show only and I am unsure. Don't have the set or anything got to see it as a special feature on another show. I am a bit turned off on how they are doing the Klingons though.

7. Damian

Damian Commodore Commodore

I've just got Season 3 of Discovery on Blu-Ray and have just watched the first episode of the 3rd season for the first time. So I thought I'd bring up my First Impressions thread again like I did for seasons 1 and 2 to stay consistent (I am, after all, a continuity junkie).

First I'm actually glad they are in the 32nd century now. It opens the door to a lot more story development without having to try to jam it in 10 years before the original series and try to be consistent with it. Now that won't be an issue.

Now, in the 1st episode it's just Burnham and Book mostly. I have to say I think I'm really going to like the character of Book. Burnham has seem to adapted to her circumstances pretty quickly, though granted by necessity.

I also want to throw a shout out to Una McCormack's Discovery Novel, Wonderlands. I actually read that first, and I found it very helpful to getting started with season 3. She builds up a good foundation for what's happened to Burnham before she finds Discovery (since I saw the first episode so far I haven't seen Discovery yet, but obviously they'll meet up soon enough--some things are a given ;) ). It also gives more information about Book and about what happened to the Federation, Starfleet and the Burn. Yet, while it did that, it was largely spoiler free. It just gave a lot of good background on what was going on so when I started watching Season 3 I wasn't mystified by what they meant by the Burn, and other things. So I could get right into the season itself and know what they were talking about.

Like I've done when I watched Picard and Lower Decks, I'll pace myself. I love having Star Trek episodes that will be completely new to me and I'd like to savor it as long as it lasts.

8. Damian

Damian Commodore Commodore

So I'm about halfway through the 3rd season when they find what's left of Starfleet at Headquarters. So far the 3rd season is my favorite of Discover, and actually I have to say it's my favorite of Kurtzman Trek. I found Lower Decks a bit disappointing and Picard was up and down for me. There were things I liked, and some things I didn't care for.

But this season of Discovery so far is looking pretty good. I like that they are far in the future. It opens a lot of things up for them. They can still tie things to the prime timeline but at the same time they have a lot of freedom to do what they want without having to try to shoehorn things in where maybe they don't always fit well.

I'll be curious to see if they discover the cause of the Burn and maybe find a way to reverse it. At this point that's all still a mystery though it sounds like they are going to start tackling that more in depth now. So we'll see.

But so far, a big thumbs up for S3. :techman:

9. WarpTenLizard

WarpTenLizard Captain Captain

I think it's time for us all to just accept that the entire timeline of "Star Trek" is Swiss cheese by now, and each series does whatever it wants in terms of tone.

Somehow, a campy 1960s scifi; a cheap '70s cartoon, with a Furry; a handful of typical '90s space operas; some gritty, modern, serialized dramas; and a wacky Adult Swim styled cartoon; all take place in the same universe. We can use our Trekkie brains to concoct some scientific explanation, or we can just accept it.

10. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's all one timeline told in dramatic fashion. It aren't that hard unless applying strict literalism.

JoaquinSlowly likes this.
  11. Jadeb

Jadeb Commodore Commodore

All I know is that the future definitely involves sparkly clothes, Burke chairs and straight nacelles. Everything else is creative liberty.

12. ScottJ85

ScottJ85 Captain Captain

Now that this thread is back from the dead and I'm re-reading what I posted, I've been kind of a dick to you and I'm sorry.