Spoilers First hand behind the scenes information

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Hoity Toity, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Hythlodeus

Hythlodeus Commodore Commodore

160 hours isn't that much. That's roughly a month with 40h weeks. to design that whole bridge in only 160 hours is actually quite impressive

2. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

Possible, but I'm going to guess that at some point this season, Discovery is duplicated and sent to the future. Since we seem to be dealing with time travel, I wouldn't be surprised.

I do hope we see more of this Enterprise bridge though than just a few episodes.

3. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Good point, I remember the same stories. Maybe that just applied to personnel and not already-constructed physical assets? Aside from the stuff I was thinking of, with the Runabout being used in TNG, and the Voyager sets being used in a couple episodes of DS9, I doubt every show had a unique supply of phasers and tricorders and background-character uniforms. So someone working on Voyager couldn't help build a prop for DS9, but once that prop was built, they could borrow it for Voyager. That'd have to be the case, all the material would be the property of the studio, it'd just be a problem billing for the work (probably didn't want to pay double to the art departments because they were working full-time on two shows).

Tim Thomason likes this.
  4. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes -- He did say "red, white, and grey", which evokes the TOS bridge.
    That would be great, if it turns out to be the case :techman:.

Deledrius likes this.
  5. Jackson_Roykirk

That turbo lift interior space that could only fit in a TARDIS was used in Brother, which was directed by Kurtzman, but it was also just used in Light and Shadows, which was directed by Marta Cunningham. I'm sure it was just re-used footage.

I'll go on record here saying that I hope we never see it again (although I think we probably will).

Deledrius and Spaceship Jo like this.
  6. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

@Hoity Toity : I have no particular reason to doubt you, and don't really care even if I did - I'm just going to watch the show as it comes, anyway, and one of my favorite "spoilers" for the Star Wars PT (better than what ended up being shown, honestly) came from someone with "inside information". :)

But if anyone doubting you *does* bug *you*, you could probably fill one of the admins or moderators in with a little more verification, so they could vouch for you. I'd rather see you do that than leave frustrated/angry at not being believed - like happened here to Chase Masterson and on another board I visit to Reese Witherspoon, with verification coming only *after* unforgivable jackassery had occurred. ;)

TrickyDickie likes this.
  7. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Speaking of Calypso, our OP pointed out that Pike will give the order to abandon ship later in the season. Possibly just after receiving a new shuttle that they hadn't named yet.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    XCV330 and Jadeb like this.
  8. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

It actually wasn't. :(

“Brother”:

[​IMG]

“Light and Shadows”

[​IMG]

Deledrius, pst, XCV330 and 1 other person like this.
  9. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks for sharing all your info. I find it fascinating!

Unimatrix Q, Jadeb and Hoity Toity like this.
  10. David cgc

I don't think they're the same shot, the camera move is too different. It looks like we're following along the same "junction" with the two L-bends next to each other, just one's on the left and the other is on the right track. I suppose one all the animation is set (it's probably less complex to animate than it looks, just because there's so much of it going on it hides how simple and duplicative each thing is), so they could just render the shots over and over again putting the camera in different spots.

Deledrius likes this.
  11. David cgc

Yeah, I get it, but I'm as sure as I can be those are two different shots. There's no "join" where one could lead into the other, even with a gap, and we see the same area in both of them, suggesting that's the "hero" part of the turbo-coaster model where all the detail is.

Deledrius likes this.
  12. Michael

I just can't get over how silly the concept of those rollercoaster shots is. It looks really cool, as most of the special effects they are producing for the show do, but the idea behind it is just so silly. Do the people who made this actually think the Discovery is this hollow shell filled with a maze of turbolift shafts on rollercoaster tracks?

I have seen the argument that they aren't meant to represent the literal inside of the ship, but a more artistic rendition of the inside with the decks being invisible. But then again the show is much more literal most of the time. Sure, there's an odd transition here or there or a scene begins with the camera upside down or whatever, but most of the time it seems like what we are seeing is meant to be taken literally.

But yeah, I could live with never seeing that shot again on the show. :lol:

13. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

To be fair, there was a lot of red on the Kelvinverse E bridge too.

14. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

It's like someone said, "Hey, remember when Bruce Willis dove his hover cab down through ten thousand feet of flying New York traffic in The Fifth Element and then almost got hit by a future train? Yeah, let's do that, but with a shitload of blue neon so it looks like an amusement park from Tron. What do you mean the ship doesn't have space for all that? Make it happen."

15. TrickyDickie

TrickyDickie Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My personal take on the turbolift shafts is that it's impressionism rather than realism....it's what's visualized in passengers' minds when they ride the lifts. :D

16. David cgc

Good to know "Portal 2" stands the test of time, then.

17. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Maybe they dose them with some 'shrooms along the way to make their ride more interesting to cover for the fact that it's just a futury elevator. ;)

18. Jackson_Roykirk

It's more disappointing to know they specially did this TWICE.

I just tell myself it's just a stylized representation on the turbolifts, and there really isn't a hidden Tron cityscape inside the bulkheads of the ship.

Edit to add because I see 'TrickyDickie' said the same thing earlier:
    I agree.
    "Impressionism", "stylized"...whatever you want to call it, I choose to think this really isn't what it looks like.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    Deledrius and Michael like this.
  19. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

I feel like this is one of those shots I can't unsee. Like 78 Decks or the static Genesis Cave waterfall.

20. Michael

Should be interesting to see someone attempt one of those old school cutaway drawings of the Discovery, trying to cram this stuff in there somewhere. :lol: