Spoilers First hand behind the scenes information

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Hoity Toity, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

It's easy enough to work out from the visuals, since we know the diameter of the bridge and the size of shuttles - it's about a thousand feet long give or take.

2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is the song that never ends...

seigezunt and XCV330 like this.
  3. TrickyDickie

TrickyDickie Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I had a dream, a number of years ago, that I was on a bi-level bridge. Cool that they had a bi-level bridge in mind....

4. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

I think you could accurately post that in every thread regarding news from Discovery or the Picard show, regardless of what it is.

seigezunt, XCV330 and Alan Roi like this.
  5. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

XCV330 and fireproof78 like this.
  6. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Since we're moving back into Sequel Territory instead of Prequel Territory, I guess we can look to the reactions to The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi as our guide to what the reaction to Star Trek: Destiny will be.

seigezunt likes this.
  7. guyute03

guyute03 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Interesting information.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Sad they had to recast Airiam becuase of the actress' health. I hope the best for her.

Unimatrix Q likes this.
  8. Visitor1982

Visitor1982 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hopefully the amount of money spend at the Enterprise bridge means they are considering a Captain Pike spin-off.

9. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

Interesting.

To some of the posters, occasionally people talk. When ENT was running someone working on it provided me with gorgeous candid shots. Loved them, but wished DS9 had been in production - I'd have loved candid stuff.

Time will tell if what was said is true. It's nice when that happens, as it's fun to get a little insider stuff.

Sign me *still hanging on to my ENT pix.*

10. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes but this time they've changed the shape of the ship as well. Different proportions. The old sizes cannot ever fit for the new one.

And they're not even trying. Even when John Eaves designed the ship to look more like TOS, the CG people were told to give it movie-style swept-back nacelles.

Yes you can argue that the sizes are broken to begin with, but arguing for the ships "really" being the same size makes any sense whatsoever in a universe they've deliberately reimagined visually.

Captain Jed R. likes this.
  11. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

This is very much what I imagined. I think those hoping for a TNG reunion/relaunch or a sort of victory lap around 24th century continuity touchstones were always going to be disappointed.
    I'm very much game for a Logan type Picard story. It has to be a better ending for him than Nemesis. And I'm a big fan of Trek taking new directions in genre and tone.

12. Hythlodeus

Hythlodeus Commodore Commodore

*woman

13. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just hope it will be a personal story, and that they don't feel the need to throw that stupid, never-dying "Fall of the Federation"-concept into the mix...

Deledrius, seigezunt and Vger23 like this.
  14. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

Oh definitely. Stakes set at a reasonable level, please.

Rahul likes this.
  15. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would be all for the Federation actually falling, though. They could make for an almighty allegory for what's going on in the US right now.

16. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Star Trek was literally built on avoiding this super-tired trope of "decadent humanity falling". That's the core foundation of the entire IP and it's unique selling point.

Imagine if other IP's try to retroactively include the one thing they were set out to avoid?
    Imagine Game of Thrones, where suddenly in the last season everything is saved by the destined prince getting the throne and marring the princess and everything is sunshine and happyness. Imagine MARVEL suddenly deciging that no, superheroes should have no flaws at all and be perfect, never conflicting role-models all the time. Imagine Star Wars saying "nah, let's do away with all that fairy-tales and mythology-stuff, we want pure sci-fi now".

All of these would be equally jarring, and a gross mishandling of each property.

17. Hythlodeus

Hythlodeus Commodore Commodore

Regarding GoT, isn't that what Azor Ahai is all about?

18. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

Tim Thomason likes this.
  19. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Fuck allegory.

The Federation collapsing might, however, provide an opportunity to jettison all the "evolved humans" and utopian crap. That would be a plus.

Noname Given likes this.
  20. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

I suspect the whole Vedraysh thing will be a spin-off universe of what WOULD have happened if Sec.31 continues to operate unchecked as the NKVD of Starfleet instead of the smaller unofficial group it becomes. The reset button will be hit. Discovery will wind up parked in a cloud for 1000 years but will make it back. I should bookmark that I wrote this.

Deledrius likes this.