Final sad Fates of TOS crew....

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Dar70, Sep 6, 2018.

1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Kelvin movies changed the ages of the characters, so Uhura is Kirk's age, Pike is older etc.

Although it's rather bonkers, they seem to act on the premise that every Starfleet officer has the same training and ranks are positions assigned on graduation.
    I think she's happily retired with her very rich husband.

I'd rather David Andrews return as Lorien from "E2". The implications of him showing up would be awesome.

2. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There is no reason why they had to rush it for sure. The main thing that suggests a longer period is Chapel qualifying as a doctor would normally take longer than three years, even with exemptions for her pre-existing qualifications. If she was part qualified during TOS, she would have been a trainee doctor or junior doctor rather than a nurse.

A shorter period does go some way to explaining why the supporting cast are still in their own jobs I suppose.

In terms of Chapel's ultimate fate, there is some suggestion that she was head of Starfleet medical but her career was in research so that might be a stretch.

3. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, if I'd been in charge/writing TMP - I would have written it as a ten year gap since the last episode of TOS which would have reflected the actual ten years since the last episode of TOS, and the aging of the characters. Also, I would have put TWoK three years after TMP for the same basic reason - and it would make the dialogue about it being "15 years" since the events of Space Seed more accurate.

But that's just me, I suppose.

4. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Good theory about The Enterprise being slightly out of date at the time it returned to Starfleet but how do you explain the other Constituition class ships seen in the series? The USS Constellation, The USS Exxeter, The USS Excalibur and of course the USS Defiant!
    JB

5. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

Doesn't make the Constitution class look very successful, really. Or at least the idea of sending in a single ship to do the work of a task force. The original Connies could have been bleeding-edge technology packages that were just too far ahead of their time for the situations they were put into. You don't see even many of the refits later, whereas Mirandas conitnue to pop up for the next century(I know, there's actual filming reasons for that, there is for everything).

6. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Spock jumps ahead to the 35th century and brings back some ramscoop thingy that allows him to collect the remains (remans?) of the two planets and put them back together as one planet. Bam! Instant reunification.

Of course Spock names it New New Vulcan, which leads to another split. Those Romulans technically have nowhere to go after the grand reopening, so they just move to the equatorial regions and live in trailer parks, leading to low property values even the Pakleds won't touch.

Thowra, jaime and Nyotarules like this.
  7. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

That's ReVulculous!

Thowra likes this.
  8. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Back in the '80s there was a point of view in fandom that it actually had been a decade or so since TOS in TMP, and the crew had done a second five-year tour between the series and the movie.

jaime, Marsden and Spocko like this.
  9. johnnybear

Ten years is the obvious answer being that that was what it was in real life terms! But I thought the gap was more twelve to fifteen when I first saw the film in December 79!
    JB

10. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

It sure didn't seem like the 3 years they are pushing as "official"

Phaser Two likes this.
  11. Phaser Two

Phaser Two Commodore Premium Member

Seriously. Everyone looks far more than three years older.

12. johnnybear

Maybe it was the effects of all that faster than light travel, Phase? :rofl:
    JB

13. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I love the idea of President Uhura. But I've never been able to take seriously the idea of Chekov as an admiral, unless it was some sort of HQ desk job or emeritus position. Of all the characters in TOS, he's really the only one who was never even remotely believable as a leader.

Sionevar likes this.
  14. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, anybody born after Nero's grand entrance is fair game for being born differently. How is Pike older? His age is not stated in any of his appearances, but he's quite nicely graying in all of them. Except when he's sort of smoldering.

Some character birthdates are indeed speculative, but generally we have the Prime versions down pat save for Scotty, Uhura and Sulu. Although only because the spinoffs featured onscreen graphics with bio data while TOS didn't, and whether this data counts is arguable if it can't even be read clearly without freeze-framing the ultra-HD-purple-death-ray-8472-isopixel version.

Timo Saloniemi

15. johnnybear

What we know for sure is Kirk is dead on Veridian Three, Spock has died in the Kelvin universe, McCoy is probably deceased but we have no proof of that, same with Scotty, who might just still be travelling around the universe in that shuttlecraft, Uhura, Sulu, Chekov, Chappel, Rand and am I right in saying Kyle died during the attack on the Reliant in Wrath of Khan? But the others might still be floating about in their anti-gravity holochairs in some Federation old people's home! :techman:
    JB

16. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

In the novels Scotty is missing, presumed dead and McCoy and Spock are still live and kicking.

17. Phaser Two

Phaser Two Commodore Premium Member

Could be! "Einstein was right" (Close Encounters quote - although I think that takes the opposite position).

BTW, JB, there's no indication that Kyle or anyone from the Reliant died in TWOK. There's a bit of dialogue at the very end stating that the Enterprise is on its way to Ceti Alpha V to pick up the Reliant's crew, marooned there in what Khan no doubt thought was poetic justice of some kind.

JonnyQuest037 likes this.
  18. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah Terrell says they're marooned but that might not be true.

One other thing we forget is that travelling at high impulse leads to temporal distortion so anyone on a five year mission could be weeks or months younger biologically than their chronological age.

19. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Are you talking about the time dilation effect. The closer you get to speed of light, time outside of the object traveling at that speed will be faster than that of the object.
    It’s shown in the season 3 mid season episode of Stargate Atlantis and the Star Trek Destiny novel.

20. johnnybear

Good to know that Kyle is still going but strange that we never saw him again in the films!
    JB