Favorite Trek Toys you had as a kid.....

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Tribble puncher, Mar 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stroudarian

Stroudarian Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Personally, I loved the Micro Machine ships. I had a blast for hours with those.

2. CommanderTrip

CommanderTrip Captain Captain

I had the same one. I loved this set. I eventually found a TNG playmates bridge playeset for $10 at a yard sale and it was complete with the box. I played with that thing non stop and even managed to scrounge together a complete TNG crew to man their stations at various flea markets and yard sales. This was the late 90's early 2000s point where Trek merchandise was becoming a little hard to come by.

My biggest regret is while I saved a lot of stuff from my childhood, sadly, both bridges and a few other trinkets have been lost over the years. I also had 2/4ths of the NX-01 bridge with the figures/playsets Art Asylum first released. My most prized possession (which I still have on my shelf to this day) is the playmates U.S.S. Voyager (although a family member through out the display stand years ago, still have the battery cover though!)

Now, I mostly have the ships and a few practical items. I have most of the DST ships, some eaglemoss ships, a TNG blutooth combadge, a TOS blutooth communicator, and a TOS phaser remote.

Oh, and I still have the TNG Transporter in the original box. I had another one (that I again found at a yard sale) years ago, and I had the most fun beaming figures out and beaming them back in. I was mesmerized as a kid the way they used light and mirrors to "energize" the figures you put in it.

Lance and Tomalak like this.
  3. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

My best friend had the Playmates TNG bridge set. It was cool, but I always wished for a TOS bridge. :scream:

Kor

F. King Daniel and Lance like this.
  4. ItIsGreen

ItIsGreen Captain Captain

"The Toys That Made Us" season two just landed on Netflix... first episode is Star Trek.

5. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Brilliant! Been waiting for that since watching the first four episodes over Christmas.

6. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

It gets some things wrong... like the run-time of TMP: which was 2:12 not closer to 2:30.

7. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

That bugged me, too - guess they were thinking of the extended VHS version (more likely just bagging on TMP). They also seemed to imply the AMT Exploration Set came out much earlier than it did to make more jokes about crappy Trek products, not mentioning that it came out during the cartoon's run, which was the more likely reason they were child-sized.

8. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Research is hard. Wah.

9. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought it was great, well written and fun, and got to the basic truth that Star Trek struggled with toys for years. But it was strange that they almost glossed over the nineties, when good quality Trek toys were plentiful and popular - the Playmates line probably deserved a bit more coverage, and they didn't even mention the successful Micromachines line. I'm guessing a lot was left on the cutting room floor!

10. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

I had that Mego Tricorder that doubled as a tape recorder. I had forgotten all about it until I saw Toys That Made Us. It had an audiocassette that was a mash-up of a few S1 episodes.

GNDN18 likes this.
  11. Sakonna

Sakonna Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I loved the TNG Playmates action figures of obscure one-off aliens. The Vorgon from "Captain's Holiday." The Ferengi w/ energy whip. Mordock the Benzite. The captain from "Darmok."

Kor likes this.
  12. Sophie74656

Sophie74656 Commodore Commodore

I never had any Trek toys as a kid, only as an adult

13. t_smitts

t_smitts Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I just watched the Star Trek episode of "The Toys That Made Us". It was really neat to learn about a lot of the toys that were licensed a bit before my time. I'd never heard of some of those cheap toy lines in the 60's, and wasn't really familiar with the story of the Mego company.

I knew a little about the ill-fated Galoob line and was pretty much just the right age when the Playmates line came out, and ended up with maybe 20-30 of them over the years (plus the big Enterprise-D, Enterprise-E, and shuttlecraft).

Speaking of Galoob, since my interest would eventually shift more from figures to ships, I do wish they talked a little bit about the Micro Machine sets Obviously, up until Eaglemoss (and perhaps AMT), no one else ended up doing that many different ships. I would've loved to learn more about how successful that line was considered and perhaps talking about making them (especially getting into the more obscure ships towards the end).

It's also a pity they didn't have Ben Robinson on to talk about the Eaglemoss ships.

14. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

The Enterprise D bridge playset. I used to make my own Star Trek stories with my figurines and use Venom (at that time, I didn’t know who he was but I had the figure) as the baddie.

15. CommanderTrip

CommanderTrip Captain Captain

I managed to snag a TOS USS Enterprise from DST for a good price off ebay. That brings my current dst collection to:

Enterprise NX-01
    TOS USS Enterprise
    TMP/TWOK Enterprise
    TUC USS Enterprise - A
    GEN USS Enterprise - B
    TNG USS Enterprise D
    TNG USS Enterprise E
    HMS Bounty (Klingon BOP exclusive edition)
    TOS Romulan Bird of Prey

There are a few more i still need to get (not including exclusives/battle damaged variants). But considering I started this set of ships 16 years ago, it feels good to finally have at least one of every type of enterprise available.

Here's hoping DST will finally release the Reliant and hopefully an Enterprise C (and Voyager and Defiant :techman:)

16. Terok Nor

Terok Nor Commodore Commodore

The best thing about the Playmates figures is how customisable they are. I had great fun making many figures that never came out. I wish they'd bring this line back and give us the characters who didn't make it into the line like the NX Enterprise crew and all the recurring characters from DS9.

Armus likes this.
  17. t_smitts

t_smitts Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, to be fair, according to the Netflix series, they DID make something like a couple hundred different figures for that line. Apart from Hasbro's Star Wars line, I can't imagine any action figure line based on a show or movie doing that many.

Apparently their decision to release 1,701 copies of certain figures backfired too, because it meant many collectors missing out on certain figures, prompting many of them to give up on completing their collections.

18. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Must have been nice. I tried using it as a toy and the phaser grip came right off. It barely seemed to be attached.

I, however, had the Remco "Star Trek Phaser" with flashlight function, cool "pew pew" sound effect, and three discs for projecting outlines of different spaceships. I really, really wanted the Mego "Star Trek Communicator" walkie-talkies, but never got them.

Later the Remco phaser stopped working and I took it apart. Or I took it apart and it stopped working, I forget which. :whistle: Ironically, I got some use out of the "pew pew" sound card in the 1990s as part of a "Ghostbusters" proton pack. Still have the card now, but don't know if it still works.

19. Terok Nor

Terok Nor Commodore Commodore

Yep. Picard in the maroon uniform from Tapestry, Barclay in a DS9/Voyager uniform and Tasha Yar wearing a TNG uniform with the collar from Season 3 onwards which she never actually wore in the show. All three got re-released as a boxset after the outrage but I think the damage had been done.

20. Sibyl

Sibyl Caffeine Pill Popper Rear Admiral

Sadly, I grew up in the dark times when the only toys I knew of were the commercially available model kits.

My first true toys were a Mego Spock on the card and a loose Talosian without their boots that I'd gotten at a local sci-fi convention. Sadly, the bubble fell off of Spock's card soon after my purchase. Also, I could've sworn his insignia was shiny when I got him, but after the bubble fell off, it was dull.

A few years after TMP was released, I had purchased several Trek comics that had ads for the TMP figures. Naively, I sent money to the address in one of those ads. Thankfully, the company was kind enough to send my money (cash) back to me letting me know that they no longer had those figures.

I didn't even know about the Trek III figures at the time.

Lance likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.