Favorite Trek Toys you had as a kid.....

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Tribble puncher, Mar 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tribble puncher

Tribble puncher Captain Captain

I'm not sure if this goes here or in the Art forum so if I'm in the wrong spot feel free to move.............

So today my (way younger) cousin gave me a box, and in this box was a bunch of Star Trek toys I had given him in the 90s when he was a yound kid (I was in my 20's) but collecting Stuff like the Trek Micro's and such. There was a bunch of stuff I'd totally forgotten about....a bunch of this little mini Trek Playsets from the "Star Trek Innerspace" sub line, some Trek micro's I had doubles (or triples) of, and a couple of the Ertil Diecast ships from the late 80's. It was pretty neat to see this stuff again. I was surprised how many of the sets were complete....anyway......

I got to thinking about any Trek Toys I had as a kid that I really loved. There wasn't a lot of stuff to choose from in the early to mid 80's, and a lot of Trek Toys from that period that I see on Ebay I don't recall seeing at stores growing up, I would have really wanted some of them. I remember getting a "Southbend"? USS enterprise for Christmas when I was like 6 I think. You could take it apart and build different types of ships with the pieces, I think there were only like 5-6 variants you could make but I remember loving that thing to death. I'd love to find another one. I also remember having a Dinky brand Diecast Enterprise in the early 80's it was a pretty decent size, it had a little launcher that shot little orange disks out of the saucer (seem to remember it getting jammed all the time) and it had a little plastic shuttle that came out of the bottom, I have memories of using it to do battle with a diecast Star Destroyer I had. eventually, because I wasn't a forward thinking kid and I was hard on my Toys, it broke and I guess wound up in the trash eventually. I don't remember having anything else really until the "golden age" of Trek Toys in the 90's and I started collecting them then (before it was cool to do so), So that's my Ramble....anyone else have any cool memories of Playing with Trek Stuff as a kid? (Or even using other toys to fill in for Trek Stuff?)

2. Captain Rob

Captain Rob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Way back in the early 70's I had the AMT plastic model playset of the Communicator, phaser, and tricorder that barely resembled the actual items. As did my two friends that we played "Star Trek" together. We even put Velcro on the communicator and phaser so they could be fastened to our belts. We were only about ten.

KennyB likes this.
  3. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

From the 1970s: AMT models and Mego action figures!

My friends and I played Star Trek quite frequently. One of my friends had a tire buried in the ground so it stood upright, which was naturally our Guardian of Forever! :lol:

J.T.B. likes this.
  4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Dinky toys USS Enterprise. Still on my shelf still my favourite of all.

It helped me get a job once.

5. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In the 90's I had two favorites. I had all 3 "collector's sets" of the Micro Machines and a special pack of the Playmates TOS figures. Those figures were the core 7 crew members and the packaging looked like the bridge as seen head on. It was so awesome that it came with the crew attached to separate pieces that could be removed from the packaging without damaging the background. I played with that bridge until it disintegrated.

6. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

My favorites were the 4.5" Playmates action figures... which I still have.

Kor

Terok Nor likes this.
  7. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

In the '70s, the AMT 1701, AMT Shuttlecraft, AMT D-7 and AMT Phaser/Communicator/Tricorder.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Armus, Kor, Vorpal_Blade and 4 others like this.
  8. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I still have the Mego figures. Really liked them a lot.

Armus and Ryan Thomas Riddle like this.
  9. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

The model kits have been reissued very recently, so you can get them again if you want. Polar Light/AMT said they were even reissuing the Exploration Set, but I don't know if they have yet.

I loved that little "Star Trek" disc gun (that had nothing to do with Star Trek). I still have it in a drawer, and last time I tried it, it still worked. I've got a couple of my original Mego Trek figures, and a couple of the new reissued ones.

10. fireproof78

I saw the reissue kit once at a store, but didn't pick it up. i'm pretty sure it is still out there though. Might have to look.

Also, been thinking about picking up more model kits so glad to see them get a reissue.

11. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I don't recall many Trek toys from the sixties, but I do remember making the Aurora plastic model of Spock facing off against a three-headed alien serpent. Not sure how I missed the Viewmaster kit, even though I know now that it existed back then.

12. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I had the Trek Viewmaster, but lost it during one too many times moving house.

Otherwise, it was the '70s Mego figures. A very close second were the TNG 3.75-inch Galoob figures from the '80s (the only thing I didn't like was that they all had phasers permanently attached to their hands, but they were in scale with all the other 3.75-inch figures I had at the time, so I had plenty of "guest stars" and "extras" when I was playing TNG).

Honorable mentions:
    Playmates TNG tricorder
    Playmates DS9 station

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  13. alensatemybuick1

alensatemybuick1 Captain Captain

I had the Mego figures, the Bridge playset, and at least one of every AMT model up to TMP. But my all time favorite toy (if you can call it a toy) was the AMT TMP Enterprise, which I first built when I was 13. The first edition was the coolest, with the smooth hull, lighting kit and funky (if inaccurate) metallic "rainbow effect" warp chiller appliqués. Something about my age at the time, i.e. having some semblance of model building skills, made it my all time fav. Trek item from childhood. Pathetic dork that I was, I stared at that model for many an hour.

Now 38 years later I am having a 1/350 scale refit E professionally built for me, complete with lighting effects, accurized impulse engine and "magnatomic construction grills" :) and 5 color Aztec paint. I've come a long way, haw haw!

ON EDIT: The one Trek toy I desperately wanted but never got was the South Bend Electronic Enterprise, out at the same time as TMP.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  14. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

It's funny. I probably have more Trek toys and merchandise now than I did as a kid! :)

15. Tribble puncher

Yeah same here.....my kid self would be jealous, though I wish I could go back in time and tell myself to take way better care of the Southbend Enterprise I had.

16. Tribble puncher

I remember seeing that figure set everywhere in the mid/late 90's, I always thought I'd get it eventually, then it was just gone.

17. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

I still have the tricorder.
    My favorite Trek toy was the Controlled Space Flight.

Miss Lemon likes this.
  18. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

19. fireproof78

20. Miss Lemon

Miss Lemon Commodore Commodore

I've never had any Star Trek toys, but a few years back I bought The Omega Story reel set for my view master. I do wish they would have chosen a more colourful episode for this set.

Stingh2 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.