Falling Skies Season 4 discussion thread - Spoilers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Jedi_Master, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm remembering Lucile Bluth gloating about how she was still hot enough enough to need a rape whistle well into "middle age" on Arrested Development.

Although for all the television out their raping my childhood, I'd get repository distress trying to keep my television at bay with a little whistle.

2. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Once again, the story ran out before the show was over and the characters have nothing to do but backtrack over previous ground.

Tom Mason is not Evil Kenevil.

I'm really starting to think that if you don't have a 5 year plan going in, you shouldn't even bother doing Genre shows period.

3. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I think you mean "respiratory" (not to mention "there").

4. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

The real question is, how do you know they don't have a plan, instead of "they have one and it's just really sucky?"

5. Guy Gardener

Oh bother.

That would be the fricking spell check in my browser. :)

So how I misspelt the world wrong in the first place was probably closer to respiratory than using the wrong word.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

The way I react to this show is weird. I enjoy it while I'm watching it, but the more I think about it, the less I like it.
    I'm really hoping there's something to why Lourdes is acting so crazy. It just seems weird to me that she would so suddenly get all psycho protective over Lexie. I understand what they were going for, but it just seems weird.
    I was dispointed that Lexie is working with at least one Espheni, I was really hoping they wouldn't go for something that obvious.
    Now, there's supposedly some bigger badder aliens out there, that's not at all surprising. I'm assuming they'll end the season with them showing up, and then next season we'll see the Volm, Humans, and Espheni/Skitters all working together to stop the bigger badder aliens.
    So does what they were saying about the flying Skitters mean there are no more Rebel Skitters? I liked them, so if that is the case I'm disappointed.

7. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

That shot of the skitter (or whatever the flying ones are called) getting roasted was pretty well done.

8. ReedEnterprise

ReedEnterprise Captain Captain

I thought the episode was a lot better than last weeks. Kept my interest and I didn't want the show to end. Some of the plot lines I saw coming.....Lexi, Pope.......but all in all, a good episode imo.

9. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

i was so disoriented from where the first episode picked up, I was completely lost. They jumped 4 months after the opening scene, and then it seemed, they were bouncing back and forth between the present (4 months later) and the missing piece between Seasons, and also into that 4 month jump.*

This week, I watched last week's and this week's episode back to back, and now, I'm back onboard, and I'm OK with where it's going. I've expected The Espheni were recruiting for a fight against someone more than the Volm (Though, I'm also leery that we're missing a lot of information on The Volm, too) Definitely seems to be aiming towards where Classic V was planning to go when it got cancelled.

*I did have a few glasses of wine watching last week's episode, so, maybe that's why I was so disoriented, and not because of where the show picked up :alienblush:

10. RJDiogenes

So the Esphani are allegedly preparing for a war with even worse aliens by conquering and subjugating every race they can find. Wouldn't it be a lot less trouble just to find allies? If the new aliens are such a threat, then the Volm would help fight them-- now everybody's forces are divided and weakened.

I hate those auto-correct things. I just disable them now.

She was always portrayed as religious, and then she suffered the trauma of that mind-control thing, so it's not inconsistent with her history.

11. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Last year at Comic Con the cast said they thought the creator (who has now left) had a 5 season plan.

But really, I don't think they did. Last year should have been redone to be the last.

12. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think Lourdes has surpassed Travis Mayweather as the most pointless regular character in a show. They have no idea what to even do with her, so she acts differently every season to be whatever they need her to be as the plot (or lack of a plot) fits.

13. bigdaddy

Hey now, let's not say things we can't take back. :lol:

14. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

I'm in for the full ride, but I've got to admit that this season really, really seems out there. After two eps, the thing that intrigues me most is the implication that there's yet another alien race on the way that the Fishheads feel are even a bigger threat than they are.

So... Is this another potential ally for the human race, or does it herald the beginning of the end?

My biggest concern is that the writers are going to write themselves into an unsolvable box and the show will get cancelled, without having a satisfactory resolution (and if I said this last week, I apologize).

;)

15. Guy Gardener

It's very simple.

The Esphenni got into a horrible problem with someone powerful.

So they ran, sacking worlds as they went, building resources, trying to create a usable and effective war machine trying to stay one step ahead of the real enemy, which is when, decades later, possibly centuries later, that they Razed the Volmworld just becuase they were after per usual, resources and a new conscription army...

Unfortunately the Volm turned out to be a little more than a planet full of sheep they could just abuse and use as if the Espheni were some bargain basement version of the Borg. :)

And this is what went wrong.

The Volm were not stopping the Aspheni and the Aspheni were not running away from the Volm, but... What must have been happening if that the Volm was slowing the Asphenni down, ruining their timetable, so that the enemy which they were actually scared of, that they had always been running from, has actually had the opportunity to finally catch up before the Esphenie are ready or capable of fighting the real enemy who they have always been very worried about.

You didn't get that?

16. bigdaddy

If the show gets canceled massive shower of comets and meteors and such smack into the Earth and kill everything. End of story. :lol:

To me the show ended last year, the Volm come and save the humans.

17. RJDiogenes

The question is: What caused the problem? Did the "someone powerful" attack the Esphenni and did the Esphenni resist, Volm-like, until, after centuries, they became the enemy? Or were the Esphenni the instigators and did the "someone powerful" resist and prove to be a bigger problem than the Volm?

Also, the Esphenni are fighting a war on at least three fronts: The primary war against the "someone powerful," the war against the Volm, and the war on Earth. Possibly also the civilization of the Skitters. How many fronts in total are they fighting on? It seems like the expenditure of resources against the Volm and Humanity cannot possibly be worth any potential gains against their primary foe.

18. Guy Gardener

Remember the Minbari? After the death of Dukat, the leader of the Grey Council, they spent 4 years killing their way through billions of Humans across dozens of colonies on their way to Earth.

What about 8472 chasing the Borg to another Universe to finish them off?

I saw former Prime Minster Blaire reasonably explain why they stopped at the Iraqi border at the end of the first Gulf war on CNN sometime back... "our Arab allies were not interested in attacking Iraq, and they certainly didn't want us staying in the area beyond the current conflict, so hypothetically after Kuwait was freed and we had Saddam in a small cell, how long would it have taken to conquer, pacify, rebuild and civilize Iraq? That was well beyond our original mandate and might be well into the next century before those goals might be half accomplished."

Chasing an entire species to make sure that they are entirely exterminated takes a particular sort of determination that is not an idle half measure taken during some fit of whimsy... Unless they're assholes?

I thought the Volm were assholes because they launched a war that they knew their grandchildren would still be fighting, and maybe not even their great, great, great grandchildren would see their mission accomplished to such a degree that they would be allowed to return to their homeworld.

Cochise, who was born in space, however last week is saying that they had to hide their breeding colony which was under threat and their species was threatened with a final extinction... Um? What about the rest of the population left on the homeworld so far away? Either Cochise was only talking about the existence of the space born Volm or there are no more Volm left on Volmworld because the Espheni already murdered those Volm to the last.

If Volmworld is a dead husk, then their war is righteous even if it takes another 10 generations of Volm to remove the Espheni from the universe and they expire simultaneously in the final act too.

Righteous and justified, even understandable, but stupid.

19. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

It does seem like their attempt at taking Earth is draining their resources faster than what their previous conquests might've gained them. The very fact that they've stepped up on the offense against humanity suggests that the efforts made by the 2nd Mass, the Volm and other human resistance groups are taking more of a toll than the Fishheads are letting on.

20. KGator

KGator Commander Red Shirt

I think I skipped Season 3 and might not have finished season 2. Based on how this season began . . . I don't think I missed much. It feels almost like a reboot. Then no longer have Charleston as a safe home base of humanity but there are new aliens, brainwashing camps and a fourth alien race on the way that might be the most powerful (and deadly) of them all! Awesome . . . its too bad that if they are just going for fun and action that so many of the characters are too annoying to root for.

As a previous poster pointed out, Tom Mason went from mild mannered history professor to military genius, to . . . Batman, masked vigilante. It doesn't explain away the aliens going from incredible technology one minute to befuddled and helpless the next. Oh well.

Now that Tom Mason has taken on the role of superhero did his wife go ahead assume the role of military kick-ass soldier? She must be a great doctor too as no one seems to ever get sick. Apparently all the illnesses and ailments that harassed modern society died off when most of the world's population did.