Failed reboots/remakes?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Lyon_Wonder, May 18, 2009.

1. felyxz

felyxz Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

There was a Fantasy Island remake?

2. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Malcolm McDowell.

3. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

The new Fantasy Island was actually a sequel, not a remake, which was one point in its favor. And it had a great cast, and some interesting ideas. But it suffered from insufficient respect for the original and absolutely abysmal writing.

4. TheMasterOfOrion

TheMasterOfOrion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

New Pics From Spike Lee's 'Oldboy,' Josh Brolin Prefers 3-Hour "Director's Cut" Of The Film
    http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayl...ers-3-hour-directors-cut-of-the-film-20131107
    The revelation comes after Brolin tactfully talks his way around badmouthing the yet-to-be-released remake, saying “I do have opinions, but it’s better to bite my tongue.” Ouch. For what it’s worth, Brolin did tell the newspaper that he much preferred “Lee’s earlier three-hour director’s cut that was both quieter and filled with more character-centric moments.”

5. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Even though I remember an episode of Fantasy Island from the 70s where Rourke matched wits with the Devil... From the start of the 1998 series it was underlined that the island staff were Angels (in training trying to earn their wings) and that their visitors were poor dumb bastards being taught a moral lesson at the expense of dignity like rats through a maze.

That doesn't seem like a sequel.

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

holy crap, you were AT that game? Jealous me... I have it on DVD and I watch it all the time. You could not have asked for a better game that night. I remember there was a lot of talk about whether they should even be doing it, so soon after the attacks, but it was exactly what the city needed to jump-start the healing process. And...Mike Piazza. How cool.

Really? I didn't know that.

So are they supposed to be the same Messrs. Roarke (Montalban vs. McDowell)?

I thought it was absolutely hilarious from beginning to end. Gibson and Foster had wonderful comic (and sexual) chemistry. (I was always disappointed they never made more movies in the Maverick series.) And I believe they both enjoyed working together - they have remained lifelong friends, and Foster always stuck by Mel even after his questionable activities.
    Plus, Alfred Molina was a great villain ("You should have come see me first...I'd have let you fall down for free!"). And who can forget Graham Greene?

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_nYT8WhFjk[/yt]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  7. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

If you ask James Garner, he claims the movie is a continuation of the TV show and Mel Gibson is Maverick, Jr. But other people who made the movie say he's a reboot. I guess it works either way.

8. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

The original hinted at various times that Roarke was a heavenly figure-- one problem with nuFI was that it lacked subtlety. After all these years I don't remember details, but the new version had some dialogue here and there that indicated it was a sequel; also there was a photograph in Roarke's office of Herve Villechaize as Tattoo.

I believe so.

9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Mel can't be Maverick Jr, because his father isn't Maverick Sr. - unless "Zane Cooper" is an alias.

10. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I've never even seen the television series, but it always made sense that the Garner was reprising his character to me.

11. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

Yes, I had to be there. I was actually going to a lot of games back then. I too have the game on DVD and watch it often.