Exclusive Interview with Nimoy at Trekmovie.com (Spoiler?)

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Admiral Buzzkill, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Lumen

Lumen Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Exclusive Interview with Nimoy at Trekmovie.com (Spoiler

Hmm.
    I don't think Nimoy finds the movie very funny. :p That's not a bad thing, but it reads almost as if he were afraid to call the movie completely "serious".

Oh, that sounds so good. :D

2. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Interesting that Nimoy called killing off Kirk in GEN gratuitous. Hadn't heard that before (or at least don't remember having heard it).

Interesting too (Nimoy alludes to it) that Berman killing off Kirk (and Shatner allowing it -- let's be fair) has finally come back to bite the franchise in the ass.
    If it's the only thing that is keeping Shatner from being able to come back as Kirk and contribute to XI in some important way, it's sad and a travesty.

It's fantastic to think Nimoy will have a meaty role in the film. It'd be even more fantastic (daring?) if the plot moved around him in some way. Old Spock somehow creates/saves young Spock's and Kirk's futures.

3. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Lieutenant Red Shirt

I just don't buy that. We watch movies and television shows with fantastic technology. If JJ really wanted to get Shatner back into this thing, he would.

I think it's clear that he's got a Spock-centric story and putting Shatner in there sort of moves the focus of attention away from Spock.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Shatner snuck into the lot and filmed a surprise cameo scene in the middle of the night. Imagine how many fans would crap their pants if they saw him on the big screen without any leaked information beforehand. I'll be wearing Depends just in case.

4. Sharr Khan

Sharr Khan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm almost certian that something like this will happen and at the moment a bit of a ruse is going here.

Sharr

5. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Lieutenant Red Shirt

I just re-read what I wrote and it sounds like I'm contradicting myself. First I say I wouldn't be surprised, then I say I'll be crapping my pants. Let me clarify.

I'll exclaim "I knew it!" but you won't hear it over the sound of my bowels jettisoning popcorn and Skittles.

6. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Except bringing Shatner's Kirk back to life would almost have to be the major focus of the movie. It would be that big of a moment. It simply couldn't be an incidental moment handled with some throwaway exposition or in a let's-hurry-and-get-this-out-of-the-way-so-we-can-move-on-with-the-story manner.

Agreed, though, that the story is obviously Spock-centric and Kirk may be secondary to the whole thing.
    Two things make more sense to me now, a line from way back when Abrams said Kirk "makes an appearance" in the movie (an odd choice of words, it seemed at the time); and when at the Comic Con, Abrams said Shatner could "probably" still be in the movie.

7. Dark Gilligan

Dark Gilligan Writer Fleet Captain

This is how you bring Shatner back.

For arguments sake, let's say Old Spock will die by the end of the film, peaceful and content. (Think of Old Rose in "Titanic".) The camera is on Spock, then slowly pans to reveal someone is in the room with him. It's Kirk. Is he real, a dream, a hallucination, a lingering effect from a past mind-meld? It doesn't matter, and it isn't explained. Kirk is simply there, and he and Spock share a moment together that ties into their meeting as young men and their years together since. The movie comes full circle and ends with Kirk and Spock together still. No on-screen death, just a slow and respectfull fade to black.

8. Trevok

Trevok Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

^^^ Won't happen. The film will be mainly about Spock, how he meets Kirk and so on. Kirk isn't central in the story line and like it or not Kirk IS dead.

9. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not. Dead.

...An Echo! :lol:

God, I hope they don't drudge that fest of contrived nonsense out of the sludgy abyss.

10. Balthier the Great

Balthier the Great Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's impossible. We couldn't keep Harry Potter spoilers, that kind of stuff would be out before the movie.

But you could do like they did with new/old Kahless -- he's a clone, he has all the memories, but he isn't the same guy. You could do some fun stuff with that, I'm sure.