Spoilers Episode 7 "Nepenthe"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by NCC-73515, Feb 28, 2020.

?

Rate 1x07 Nepenthe

1. 10 - Wild Beard Riker

109 vote(s)
    36.8%
  2. 9

95 vote(s)
    32.1%
  3. 8

53 vote(s)
    17.9%
  4. 7

21 vote(s)
    7.1%
  5. 6

7 vote(s)
    2.4%
  6. 5 - Full Beard Riker

2 vote(s)
    0.7%
  7. 4

4 vote(s)
    1.4%
  8. 3

1 vote(s)
    0.3%
  9. 2

1 vote(s)
    0.3%
  10. 1 - Season 1 Riker

3 vote(s)
    1.0%
  1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

The USS Titan.
    It's a TV show, magic cures only work when the script calls for it.

He found in the place Hugh sent him. So if it is Hugh's, not maybe so convenient.

A Commodore is an Admiral in all but name. And Oh isn't the head of Starfleet Intelligence, she's just the head of the Romulan desk.

2. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The medical replicator is presumably built with an assumption that it will be operated by a competent medical professional, and it would be counterproductive for a doctor to have to argue with a computer to get the medicine they might need to administer right now!

3. TheMadCloner

TheMadCloner Captain Captain

To be fair, we don’t know the exact circumstances of how Thad acquired the disease or what Riker did or didn’t do about it.

Longinus, ITDUDE and Yistaan like this.
  4. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

Star Trek: pIqaD.

Cap'n Calhoun, Kor and SJGardner like this.
  5. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Instead of Space Cersei, I kept thinking of her as Space Kate Beckinsale.

6. Racefuel

Racefuel Commodore Commodore

"Most people" is not supported in the movies or books. If anything the opposite is true, beyond a few high profile statements made by primary characters. The TOS Enterprise had a chapel (non denominational), Cassidy Yates references that her father would rather her be married by a Priest, there was a special function for the Hindu Festival of Lights (though an argument could be made that this is merely a traditional ceremony and that, like Christmas, it is followed and practiced even by non-religious people).

bookworm8571 and fireproof78 like this.
  7. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Data and Picard's "What is death?" conversation from "Where Silence Has Lease" comes to mind. It was rather interesting. But then it turned it that wasn't actually Data... :shrug:

Kor

8. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Oh well. :shrug:

9. AlanC9

AlanC9 Commodore Commodore

Wow. I'd forgotten that too.

I always think of Magnuson more as a musician and performance artist. I think I still have a ticket stub from the gig Bongwater played with King Missile in whatever the hell that club on far west 23d was, back when west Chelsea was a deserted industrial wasteland.

Damn, I'm old.

Greg Cox likes this.
  10. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think that in the 24th century personal practice of religion is just that-personal. It doesn't require the masses for people to believe what they believe.

11. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, you would think it was run by a shady ex-Starfleet privateer or something.

Kor

12. AlanC9

AlanC9 Commodore Commodore

Well, they did skip the enslaving part.

I suppose hunting and eating animals is legitimate behavior for an omnivore species.

Cap'n Calhoun and SJGardner like this.
  13. Racefuel

It's already been changed. The "24th century people are atheist" died a quiet death in S1/S2/S3 of TNG and instead adopted a more specific, character focused aspect of exploring religious beliefs rather than blanket statements which kill story topics and exploration points.

14. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

She murdered him under the guise of rendering medical aid. Why would the Captain or a security program be suspicious?
    Is there a reason Jurarti shouldn't be able to replicate this chemical? From my recollection of the scene what she's asking for is medicine, that like many medicines can be dangerous if give to the wrong person or in the wrong amount, not cleaning supplies or industrial lubricants.

Llywela and ITDUDE like this.
  15. Yistaan

Yistaan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Dahj, Clancy, and Laris and Zhaban seem like from a different show entirely. We're introduced to these characters as if they will be a big deal in the show, then Dahj (the most likable character period) is promptly killed, and Clancy, Laris and Zhaban stay on Earth and don't take part in the action even long distance.

It would be like after the big party in the Hobbit with Gandalf and all the dwarves and Bilbo at the beginning, only for it to be revealed that only Thorin and Bilbo will go confront Smaug while Gandalf is killed in a fireworks explosion and the dwarves decide they want to stay in the Shire and not come along after all.
    I've already addressed my complaints about Maddox's death in other posts so I'm not going to retread, you can look up those posts.

As for Jurati getting this chemical, I'd imagine the replicator would scan her to see if she actually needs it or ask what it's for. But if she's getting it for someone else, I'd imagine that would require special authorization (like the Captain). No different than if I wanted some of the special equipment at work, I'd need management to sign off on it. At the end of the day, it's not her ship.

ThreeEdgedSword likes this.
  16. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

If humans are animals then that would be expected.

17. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, Bajorans being religious was used to contrast that the humans mostly were not. And given that in countries with high education and living standard religiosity is radically dropping already, it makes perfect sense that such superstitions would be mostly extinct by the 24th century. Oh, and as for that 'Vulcan payer' on thing, I thank Discovery for offering a somewhat rational explanation for it: it is tokmar, an attempt to contact or guide a lost person telepathically.

18. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    And religion is already said to persist in both ENT and TOS so it's ludicrous to believe that spirituality or even organized religion will be all but extinct on both Earth and in the wider Federation just 100 years after Kirk. Religion - whether or not somebody likes or agrees with it - has been ingrained into human genetic makeup for millennia if not longer and just a couple of hundred years of warp drive and cures for most diseases isn't going to change that.

19. Racefuel

It doesn't explain Vulcan priests though.

20. Gonzo

Gonzo Guest

Nah she is not the planning type as that would require patience. :biggrin:

Narek could have been in on it and the Commodore is definitely a contender due to her clearance, she could easily have whitewashed the investigation as well.

We may yet find that it is someone else entirely though.

Its all going to come out.

SJGardner likes this.