Spoilers Episode 7 "Nepenthe"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by NCC-73515, Feb 28, 2020.

?

Rate 1x07 Nepenthe

1. 10 - Wild Beard Riker

109 vote(s)
    36.8%
  2. 9

95 vote(s)
    32.1%
  3. 8

53 vote(s)
    17.9%
  4. 7

21 vote(s)
    7.1%
  5. 6

7 vote(s)
    2.4%
  6. 5 - Full Beard Riker

2 vote(s)
    0.7%
  7. 4

4 vote(s)
    1.4%
  8. 3

1 vote(s)
    0.3%
  9. 2

1 vote(s)
    0.3%
  10. 1 - Season 1 Riker

3 vote(s)
    1.0%
  1. GaiusBaltarBand

GaiusBaltarBand Lieutenant Red Shirt

I did enjoy the Riker reunion. I would have more so if everyone didn't absolutely require a tragedy to be included in the story.

The plot continues to do hand-waving that just baffles me. Two episodes in a row have now ended in a cliffhanger that aren't followed up with in any cohesive way. Can people be tracked on the cube or cant they? Don't think about it. The Romulan treaty allows murder and execution from either side, but not of Hugh unless he's heard discussing an insurrection. Don't think about it. Picard names Nepenthe as the destination with no further details, Hugh controls the process, luckily places him within a kilometer of Riker's house. Add a line in there, Hugh doesn't know what Picard knows or what we know. Make shit logical.

Elnor knows Hugh for 5-10 minutes. In his death says he'll need an XB to activate the teleporter. Wouldn't Elnor's thought be, "What is an XB?" Now supposedly untracked he goes and finds a Fenris Ranger beacon. WEIRD.

Rios has Elnor on the comm before leaving. Is Rios not curious as to what in the hell is going on? "What's going on over there? How'd Picard get off the cube? Why were we tractor beamed?" Characters consistently are assumed to know what we know except there is no way they could. Troi can't read Soji, but they do have a conversation with limited information. Troi then lectures Picard about things Soji has been through without being told she's been through these things. When arriving Picard tells Kestra that Soji is the daughter of Data. Soji and Kestra discuss this point. When Riker asks what is going on, Picard claims he can't say anything as it could put them in danger.

I don't get how the internal logic is just constantly breaking it's own rules even within the same scene. It's very strange.

Khan Jr and Mr. Adventure like this.
  2. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

By making him eat a radish?

GaiusBaltarBand and Hythlodeus like this.
  3. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

Just returned from this episode. The Picard-Riker-Troi reunion was great. Kestra was refreshing.

Again a sword wielding Elnor. Narissa vanished before their confrontation became interesting.

Commodore Oh's sunglasses were a highlight for me.... :rommie: :cool: :vulcan:

I loved the facial expression of the EMH when he found Jurati.

4. ITDUDE

ITDUDE Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Replicator is just a tool. How you use it is up to you.

5. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They don't though. They're atheists.

6. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Somebody page the Radish kid from the turbolift in "Disaster(TNG)"!

7. Racefuel

Racefuel Commodore Commodore

The androids or everyone?

The androids is more or less a given fact, but there are indications that there is still an active religious belief system in place in both Federation/Human and non-federation/human worlds and cultures

8. cooleddie74

Well, some are. Others aren't. Don't take the words of Picard in "Who Watches the Watchers?(TNG)" as Gospel about the entire Federation and all humans. So to speak.

That was Roddenberry's concept more than anything else and Berman only pushed it because that was one of those things he didn't want to enforce in Gene's universe but felt he had the obligation to.

SJGardner likes this.
  9. Racefuel

Sorry if it was mentioned earlier..but did anyone notice that the picture of Picard holding baby Thad was in the observation lounge of the E-E?

SJGardner and cooleddie74 like this.
  10. cooleddie74

And Picard was already an Admiral by the time Thad was an infant, which means that the uniform change from the DS9/TNG Movie Era design happened no later than 2382.

DaveyNY, XCV330 and SJGardner like this.
  11. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Does Chekov's Gun waporize people? If it's on stun, will it not set off the alarm? :beer:

Gilora, Gonzo, Greg Cox and 1 other person like this.
  12. Yistaan

Yistaan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Who are you talking to? A radish kid is an android? These jokes aren't making sense.

13. Racefuel

If you would see who I was quoting you'd know what I was asking.

Kor likes this.
  14. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Schrödinger's Gun?
    EDIT: just checked, naturally the term is already @ TVTropes lol

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
    ITDUDE likes this.
  15. Yistaan

Yistaan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ohhhh..... Never mind, I understand what happened now. Carry on, sorry for the confusion.

16. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Because this series ISN'T about Star Fleet. Yes, Picard at first tries to return to Star Fleet for help, but is (IMO rightfully due to his attitude and actions) denied. From then on this is all his personal story - no Star Fleet and no 'Ships of the Line' involved. Maybe they'll include something Star Fleet in Season 2 - but for this Season it's "One man's personal journey..."

17. Racefuel

With the end of the Dominion War and presumably an attempt to get back to the Scientific and Exploration roots..it would seem the shift away from "war uniforms" to the 2380's design happened pretty quick, yeah.

18. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

This one was pure, soppy nostalgia. And I loved it very much.

Poor Hugh, though. His xB's are dead and then he joins them. Fuck.

Gonzo likes this.
  19. bookworm8571

bookworm8571 Commander Red Shirt

I’ve never bought that. There would be a variety of opinions on the matter and many different faiths from Earth and the various Federation planets, just as there are now. Humans would likely have converted to some of the alien religions and there would be blending of Earth religions with Vulcan, Klingon, etc. to form new religions. Phlox from Enterprise had attended services in a church while he was on Earth and the Discovery crew discussed their various religious beliefs or lack thereof. Klingons have a belief in an afterlife, prayers, and a monastery that B’Elanna Torres was sent to for education as a child. Spock’s half brother had a belief in a mythological paradise. Vulcans offer prayers at a temple for the safe return of family members and have complex rituals involving monks and priestesses and the katra. Romulans have an order of warrior nuns and a number of gods, along with meditation rituals that resemble those of Vulcans. The Bajorans on Deep Space Nine are religious.

SJGardner likes this.
  20. cooleddie74

Which I'm glad for. That means that the 2382 Era design was used for at least a decade or longer before the change to what we see in "current day" PIC. I know Starfleet is schizophrenic about uniform changes and switches designs at the drop of a proverbial(and soon-to-be-changed)hat but at least get a good seven to ten years of use in before you change them again.

Campe and SJGardner like this.