Enterprise bridge....2nd turbolift?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by MarsWeeps, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

To be fair, they just got it out of repair at Earth Space Dock - so I'm sure it got a wash and a wax (inside and out.) ;)

XCV330 likes this.
  2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Feel sorry Uhura that time she was under the console doing repairs.

XCV330, seigezunt and F. King Daniel like this.
  3. Jesse1066

Jesse1066 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Rogue One, the gold standard for respectful updates, heavily glossed up the floors of both the Star Destroyer bridge and the Death Star overbridge. Probably because shiny things look more expensive.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

pst, Galileo7 and David cgc like this.
  4. Spaceship Jo

Spaceship Jo Commander Red Shirt

Oh, I understand that for sure. But good design suits the subject and glossy looks great for the evil empire, not so much for the (hopefully) not-fascist Federation.

Jesse1066 likes this.
  5. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

The more I look at it...the closer I get to "I like everything about it."

Nerys Myk, GNDN18 and Noname Given like this.
  6. Jesse1066

Jesse1066 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I still love it, but I see your point.

Spaceship Jo likes this.
  7. KirkusOveractus

KirkusOveractus Commodore Commodore

So there would be a line of bridge crew outside of them in between innings.

seigezunt likes this.
  8. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm currently building the old AMT kit of the TOS bridge, and this discussion is inspiring me to possibly add the second turbo shaft doors seen in TAS.

9. KirkusOveractus

If you can locate another kit of the bridge (ERTL re-released it in 1991, so it's out there!) you can add the turbolift doors from that second kit, substituting for one of the consoles. Thought about doing that myself!

I've got my family's old hobby shop stock, which includes a lot of the AMT/ERTL Trek kits from 1988-1991!

seigezunt likes this.
  10. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

Cool, you're so lucky! Build them all!

I am indeed working with and making modifications using two of the old kits, though it was more because I wanted to modify it to look like the Stage 9 set (for some reason the kit does it from a reverse angle) . There's a more recent update to the kit that is the whole bridge, but it's $100-plus.

KirkusOveractus likes this.
  11. KirkusOveractus

Yeah, I've seen that update, and you can easily do it with a couple of the original kits, which would give you parts to make the whole bridge and come in less with what you paid!

Yeah, I've been looking at those kits, figuring out what I'm going to do with them. One of the TOS Enterprise kits from the 1991 run I'm going to build and paint according to the instructions strictly, so you would see what it would look like had a kid built the AMT model in the late 1960's or early 1970's.

seigezunt likes this.
  12. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

SOT, but how can anyone clearly view their console with all those lights "everywhere"?

13. GNDN18

GNDN18 270 Rear Admiral

We’re Starfleet.
    271716B6-8490-45AD-93B5-9D11A4E6A1AD.jpeg
    We adapt.

14. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

"We're Starfleet. Point your light directly in the pupils."

NewHeavensNewEarth and GNDN18 like this.
  15. NewHeavensNewEarth

NewHeavensNewEarth Commodore Commodore

With shoulder lights. In this particular era, we're all about shoulder lights.

GNDN18 likes this.
  16. GNDN18

GNDN18 270 Rear Admiral

8A77CACC-C83B-4B29-9B96-F49C58034D1E.gif

17. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

I must say this Enterprise bridge really makes me wonder how Discovery fits within the Prime universe, since it looks like the Kelvin’s E’s bridge, where it’s as big as Voyager’s bridge 100 years in the future. In both “The Cage” and TOS, and even going upto TMP & STVI, the Captain’s chair is so close to the helm/nav chairs that Pike, Kirk, Saavik & Sulu are nearly scrapping their knees on the helm/nav chairs (in STVI, we can tell that the Excelsior has more room between the Captain’s chair and the helm/nav chairs as Sulu has a table for his tea in between and doesn’t look cramped behind the table, but that’s another class) whereas in Discovery it appears that there is as much space as Janeway has between her chair and Paris’ chair on Voyager. Plus in TOS, the upper ring seems to be just big enough for someone to pull out a chair and sit, while someone can walk by, but Discovery’s look like 3 people could walk behind a seated person.

But even if the Discovery E has a different module than the Cage E and TOS E, it doesn’t make sense how it could fit, as the bones of the ship could only support a certain size of module. It’s like now if you buy a single story house and you wanted to add space in the attic for say a bedroom, most people add dormers which don’t need as much structural work as adding a whole new story that would require making sure that the lower part could hold up the new second story. So Discovery’s E doesn’t seem to fit, especially when years later, Starfleet couldn’t add a bigger bridge during the Enterprise’s 18-month refit.

18. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

The ST:TMP bridge is bigger than the TOS bridge, and the STD bridge is not much bigger, station to station, than that (if at all).

19. KirkusOveractus

I've always loved how fans of a Science Fiction TV series (which is a genre that deals a lot in abstracts and imagination) get so hung up on how something should look.

MvRojo and Ryan Thomas Riddle like this.
  20. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I don't know. When I look at the communications station behind Pike, it looks to be a good first down away from the captain's chair. Might be a trick of the camera, but the bridge looks about as big as the Discovery bridge.