Empire Magazine pics!

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by HaplessCrewman, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Understood. But then why the fuck a window on the bridge? Why windows at all in a ship mostly cruising around deep space? What purpose could they serve? Even when there may be something to see, a plain window is unitasker. One view. One angle. One distance. They are archaic on a starship with viewscreens.
    They are merely a storytelling device and add a sense of scale and perspective for the benefit of an audience. So, in the continued interest of authenticity let's get rid of the window, too. ;)

2. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

You heard it here first:

Nuke the Window

3. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My mind to yours... I hear you. I re-watched TMP (TDC) yesterday and I was getting a major "Star Trek" vibe from it. I don't know what exactly to make of it but there does seem to be some connection between ST & TMP.

4. Just_Bob

Just_Bob Commander Red Shirt

A very sophisticated HUD! One may go from pure window to dedicated viewer or a hybrid mode.

5. judexavier

judexavier Commander Red Shirt

Yes...the letters themselves are bigger/closer together than from the trailer shot.

6. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I don't know. I don't see it.

Maybe you can pick a specific example, for purposes of comparison?

http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=6

7. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

All good points. The Galactica CIC makes a lot more sense all around.

8. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't see the TMP uniforms, but here's something else about the black uniform...just wild speculation...

Perhaps Kirk is an Academy instructor for a while between the Farragut and Enterprise, and "black" is the color of Academy instructor/Command Officers.

This would fit nicely with that line in EW article about the black uniform that says:
    ...Kirk spends much of Star Trek dressed in respectable black — space-cadet colors in Abrams' Trekverse — as he undertakes a perilous, destiny-seeking journey...
    Maybe this has something to do with finding himself again after the Farragut/cloud creature incident. Perhaps Kirk lost his "command mojo" after that incident (we saw hints of this in Obsession), and as a result got re-assigned to the Academy and a "desk job". This film could be about him recapturing his command confidence.

9. EnsignJulka

EnsignJulka Captain Captain

The more I look at these pics, the more I get excited about this film...that's all I have to say...

10. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Hubba, hubba! :drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:
    The FEW minor details of which I may not approve are FAR outnumbered by the MANY things I love about the new movie. Things like the hostess station, glare on the viewscreen, bright spotlights in our eyes... hopefully will be resolved in the shown film. I will probably say, "Glad they fixed that," and continue enjoying what, I believe, will be an excellent movie. :bolian::techman:

11. Sector 7

This may explain things a little better.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCl6R...eature=related

12. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Sweet!

RAMA

13. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I'm getting a message "The URL contained a malformed video ID" when I click on the link. The URL appears to have been copied in its truncated form and requires insertion of the characters in the segment represented by "..." [6R...ea].

Edit:

Hmm, this one, perhaps?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCl6RCGkPuo&feature=related

14. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^
    ^^:lol: Ha Ha! I just posted that link in the "Swoosh---bleep---rumble" thread, but I suppose it's relevant to the window argument also :)

15. Sector 7

Where do you think I copied (stole) it from?! To be honest, by the time I copied it to this post, I forgot who I got it from.
    Apologies and ALL CREDIT to Jackson_Roykirk! :vulcan: Also, thanks for M'Sharak for cleaning up whatever I screwed up!:alienblush:

16. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

Slightly different model at use in designing the Galactica, though. Ron Moore was basing the concept, correctly, on that of an aircraft carrier, where the bridge is just where you steer the ship, and the real action is down in the CIC.

Of course, Moore did a few years in the Navy ROTC program in college, so he has more than a clue about how these things work.

17. Omnipotent

Omnipotent Cadet Newbie

From a visual view for the who's watching the movie, it does look very nice, and I love how you can see the saucer section. I wonder how battles will be portrayed with this and will we see hull damage / explosions from this view.

However, lets see how it all functions in the movie before deciding if it's good or not.

Looking at the teaser trailer I'm wondering where exactly this screen will be, and can't seen to place it.

18. Sector 7

^I'm one of those who believes the teaser trailer was just that... a teaser. I think the movie Enterprise is completely different from the teaser..

19. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

+1

20. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Another pic...

[​IMG]