Each time I see Revenge of the Sith...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by zenophite, Apr 24, 2008.

1. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

I've read all those writers. I am a writer as well, so you're preaching to the choir here.

but yes, I do believe that ROTS -- for all its flaws -- is a much more adult and complex take on Star Wars than any of the other SW films. it shows an intimate relationship that is constructed along the lines of Mythic Pathos. and no matter how clumsily it was portrayed (bad dialogue for one, although that was more in evidence in AOTC), there was definitely an attempt on GL's part to reach beyond the sillier Han and Leia romance or the stupider Luke and Leia flirtation on the OT. the Oedipal theme is not obvious and thank god. but it's there and the handling of it is pretty deft. so you can take it or leave it as a viewer and that's the way it should be.

this is NOT an ancient myth. it doesn't need an anvil to drive home its points. all modern constructs of the myths need to do is wield the lightest touch. anything more is overkill. I believe that ROTS did a good job in displaying a few of those mythic points. for instance, the theme of the triangle -- and there is MORE than a hint of it throughout AOTC and ROTS, no matter what YOU think you saw -- is driven home by plenty of scenes and frames and nuances between the players starting from AOTC.

in terms of political complexity, ROTS held a LOT more of my attention than anything that had gone before in SW. I was never a SW fan despite having seen ALL of the OT films. the PT held my attention despite fits and starts. and ROTS is a virtual cauldron of political maneuverings, some of it laughable but all of it absorbing, including the various personal dynamics.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  2. Seraphim

Seraphim Admiral Admiral

Each time I see Revenge of the Sith...

You take a bit of me with you...

3. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

I want to know when Lucas forgot how to make space battles exciting. The Battle of Yavin is one of the most exciting and tense sequences in cinema, and Hoth and Endor do pretty well themselves. Yet Naboo and Geonosis are all right, and the Coruscant scene just goes on forever, and never rises above tedious. It's hard to explain, but it just lacks some sort of punch. I never felt interested, I never felt like I was doing anything more than watching a movie.

4. zenophite

zenophite Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Answer: Lucas didn't direct ROTJ

5. ZZYFRX

ZZYFRX Commodore Commodore

Umm...yes, he did...although Richard Marquand got the final credit. But do some digging and you'll find that they had lots of problems with Marquand who wasn't an experienced enough director to handle a big film like this. So Lucas stepped in to take over the directing, which is why ROTJ had the same suckey tone and awful acting that the entire pre-trilogy had. It was at that point that Lucas's passion for storytelling became overshadowed by his fascination with toys and merchandising.

As for the OP's question about ROTS.....do the math:

Lucas wrote it -- check.
    Lucas directed it -- check.

Yep, the movie sucked.

6. zenophite

Ah ok well that explains the suck factor in Return of the Jedi too then. Maybe he just let the production crew do their thing for the effects without interfering too much then?

7. TremblingBluStar

TremblingBluStar Vice Admiral Admiral

When the battles became entirely CGI.

Not that I feel CGI battles can't be exciting - the one in Serenity was awesome and that was mostly CGI - but once Lucas got those tools he figured everything had to be BIGGER and LONGER - which meant 15-20 minute battles with absolutely zero tension.

He also lost sight of the fact that if we don't care about the characters, we don't care if they are in danger.

8. zenophite

^ not to mention that our heroes turn into a bunch of A-wipes. How can you smile and say "another happy landing" after you just smashed a control tower to dust and just likely killed a few hundred people?

9. Vonstadt

Vonstadt Captain Captain

Madison Square Garden : Let's Go Rangers!
    Yeah that scene stuck with me too, like whoops sorry about that guys!

10. Lieut. Arex

Lieut. Arex Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

...I wonder why Obi-wan and Anakin don't use the frelling Force to flick those buzz-droids off Kenobi's fighter.

I mean, instead of telling the immobilized R4 to look out, how about lending an astromech a hand, huh?

11. TremblingBluStar

TremblingBluStar Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe the control towers are all filled with droids.

Or Gungans. :)
    Now, see, it would have not only been common sense, it would have been cool to see him do that!

Or why can't he use the force to pull Anakin away from the freakin' lava! He just sort of stands there and watches him burn alive!

12. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

For one thing he didn't stand there and watch him burn alive and another he allowed the Force to control what happened to Anakin, he was sent there to kill Anakin not to bring him back or save his life.

13. ancient

ancient Vice Admiral Admiral

Obi-Wan was a bit of a bastard, just sort of walking away as Anikin was being burned to a crisp. It really would've been a good idea to perform a mercy killing, or maybe try to save him. I mean all his limbs are chopped off! It's not like He'd be a huge threat at that point.

14. P0sitr0nic

P0sitr0nic Vice Admiral Admiral

One really doesnt need fingers to perform a force choke, or pull Obi wan closer into the lava...

15. zenophite

It would have made more sense if Obi-wan told him something like "i won't kill you because I won't sink to your level, you piece of sith"

anyway teh force was a really neat idea but in the movies there are really no rules set up for you to understand why it is or is not being used. In a sense the force makes the jedi/sith too powerful the way it is shown. At the very least there should be a limit to what can be done. I like to think that because it takes a certain amount of concentration the catch is that you can't concentrate of fully feeling/using the force while you are in the neat of the moment unless you have had ALOT of practice (i.e. Yoda.)

16. ancient

ancient Vice Admiral Admiral

Except that Obi is a powerful force user, and Anikin is...well ALMOST DEAD.

17. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Obi-Wan was nowhere near to being the most powerful Force user ever Yoda, Paplatine, Mace Windu and even Dooku were all more powerful than Kenobi.

18. zenophite

Aside from the fact that it doesn't make sense for kenobi to be so esteemed he's only been a full fledged jedi for about what 13 years and he is continually getting saved by Anakin? I men Yoda is 900 years old and Mace (going by the actor real ages) is 20+ years older than kenobi. Raw power is nice but experience does teach you a few things - especially in combat/martial arts.

19. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

No in the commentary Lucas himself said that by turing to the dark Anakin became a better lightsaber dualist than Obi-Wan, in terms of sheer power Obi-Wan was far from the most powerful, the Midichlorians kind of decide who the powerful Force user is .

20. zenophite

Well, to be honest relying on commentary to fill in such gaps is just poor storytelling. Besides, does he explain why in an in-universe logic sort of way why that should be so or even make sense? It just seems like more of the same moronisms that seem to come out of him. If all it takes is you go and dark you become a better swordsman - how can the jedi compete against that?