Dune 2018 (19,20,21...)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by wayoung, Dec 22, 2016.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm thinking they'll drop it, I'm pretty sure the other adaptations did, and I don't think they could get away with it today.

Skarsgard is great casting for Harkonen. With the team behind the scenes, and now the cast they're putting in front of it, this is starting to look like it will have a ton of potential.

wayoung likes this.
  2. wayoung

wayoung Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It wasn't stressed as much in the novels but it was there. It's been awhile since I saw the Lynch version but I'm fairly certain there was some lascivious attention paid by the Baron to Feyd, as well as the sexual heart plug scenes. And in the mini the Baron does use his beautiful boy line a couple times. Plus the scene where Feyd tries to assassinate the Baron using one of his teenage sex slaves is included.

Definitely downplayed though in both versions.

fireproof78 likes this.
  3. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Admiral Admiral

Both the movie and the mini series seriously downplayed the Baron's sexual deviancy. I don't really think the movie really addressed it directly, while the miniseries interpreted the Baron's desire for "boys" as meaning young adults. I suspect this movie may strongly imply the Baron's gay but will avoid addressing the matter directly.

lurok and wayoung like this.
  4. wayoung

That might have something to do with the mini casting 30 year olds as "boys"

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, OK. It's been a while since I've watched either version, so I guess I forgot about that stuff.

wayoung likes this.
  6. Reverend

Reverend Vice Admiral Admiral

It's not always a good idea to presume an author's views by those expressed by the characters they write. IIRC there's a scene in GEoD where Duncan freaks out over the Fish Speakers sleeping with each other and the idea of an all female army even being a thing and is treated like a archaic prude. (I think there was also a little bit about it working fine for Alexander the Great, but I'm not 100% certain that was this book.)

Also worth remembering that the society being portrayed in 'Dune' is modelled after European feudalism; an aristocracy in a religious climate that doesn't easily tolerate artificial interference with human reproduction, so they're back to the old fashioned way of producing heirs. That lends to an crushingly urgent emphasis on heterosexual pairings, regardless of actual orientation. Which leads to a lot of repression, which in some cases can lead to natural desires becoming twisted and expressed in unhealthy ways. Herbert may simply have been extrapolating what the social norms of such a society would probably be.

Also, the Baron is a very particular case. I forget the specifics but I think there's some hint about something being *off* about his relationship to his mother, plus he's a man in a position of absolute privilege and a gluttonous appetite for all of his material pleasures and seems to take a singular delight in flaunting his excesses.

Shaka Zulu, lurok and The Nth Doctor like this.
  7. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Admiral

and then there's the Bene Gesserit breeding program. Needing Harkonnen genetic material and the baron's sexual preferences much have caused a few headaches.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  8. Kerock

Kerock Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

People always seem to be too hypercritical about Dune. Me thinks they doth protest too much. So many love hate relationships with the Dune genre

Shaka Zulu and fireproof78 like this.
  9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

10. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Good/interesting casting :techman:

11. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Vice Admiral Admiral

Sounds good as long as there's no *bleep* telepathy.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  12. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

If Kanye were to be cast as Shaddam , the production staff would have to have a mixed-race actress cast as his daughter, Irulan.

Personally, there are other black men who could portray Shaddam.

13. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Stellar caring so far. I didn't think they'd be able to top Ian McNeice as the Baron, but damn, did they ever.

14. Shaka Zulu

But Batista should be Gurney Halleck or Duncan Idaho, not Rabban. And Idaho should be black, as he was described as being dark skinned by Herbert.

15. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Vice Admiral Admiral

As for ornithopters being goofy, something akin to the UTIAS Snowbird could look kind of graceful.

The dragonfly-inspired ornithopters in Lexx were weird but kind of credible.

16. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's outstanding!

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  17. Reverend

Reverend Vice Admiral Admiral

When it comes to depicting ornithopters: the mistake a lot of the less credible attempts make is either making it too hard on themselves by copying birds, or as in the case of both the Lynch movie & the minis; not fully committing the the concept and comig up with some cop-out half-measure.

I say going the bird route is a mistake because from the descriptions in the book, I always pictured them as being much more dragonfly like. That way, you don't need clunky metal flapping wings that couldn't possible generate thrust since you have thin, light material made of some kind of composite that flaps about as fast as a helicopter's blades spin. Which is nothing more than a blur of motion 90% of the time.

An example of this done right (and on a very slim budget) is the moths in 'Lexx', for those old enough to remember it.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    Shaka Zulu and Asbo Zaprudder like this.
  18. fireproof78

fireproof78 Admiral Admiral

And now I feel old...

Asbo Zaprudder likes this.
  19. Shaka Zulu

This is why I'm saddened that Arthur P. Jacobs and the production crew/writers of the 1968 Planet Of The Apes never got to do a film version of Dune; I'll bet that their version would've been a lot like the end of the Planet Of Apes, including a scene like this or similar to it.

20. wayoung