Spoilers DSC Starships and Technology - Season Two Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Tech' started by Mark_Nguyen, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Who knows, maybe the nanites absorbed the disintegration energy to the point that all Burnham could do was... Burn 'im through.

2. KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They don't have wide beam phaser mode in this era, do they?

3. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

They certainly did in TOS - but it's possible it was an innovation the TOS phasers introduced.

4. Norsehound

Norsehound Captain Captain

I don't see any picture posts of the new D7, so I grabbed one.

[​IMG]

Some immediate notes;

+The Engine pods seem to be the most radical depature from the original D7. Easy enough to modify or explain away as a prototype.

+The Impulse engines are a variation of the K'T'inga ones, though they are higher and set in the body of the ship rather than on small box inserts hooked to the bottom.

+No obvious rear photon tube.

+The bridge module's tower has a flattened top instead of a dome.

+In the flyby we can see the grills on the outboard pylons to the nacelles. She has a detail amidships on the doral section (in front of the impulse/shuttlebay box) that is similar to the K't'inga.

+Detail patterns seem inspired by, not an exact replica, of the paneling on the K't'inga.

Really wish one of these things claiming to be a D-7 would adhere harder to the original smooth grid-less D7 designs (No, G'roth doesn't do it right either), but at least this doesn't put the impulse arrangement in the weird way TOS-R did it. Still, it's not the original impulse module which was beneath the shuttlebay *shrug*

Hope we see more of it before the season's out. We get more shots of the Enterprise soon, I think the D7 will make more of a showing in the last few episodes.

publiusr likes this.
  5. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

The D-7 miniature that was built for DS9's "Trials & Tribblations" had more pronounced gridwork than the original. The era of the smooth-skinned models is gone, sadly. Has been for decades, I'm afraid.

6. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe more acceptable to assume it Is a prototype?

7. 137th Gebirg

It could be the Chancellor’s special ride. Remember Kronos One had slightly different nacelles than the standard K’t’inga. This is probably the first Kronos One in the unified Empire’s history.

DEWLine and Ronald Held like this.
  8. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

It be funny if it was the same Kronos One, just refit many times before we see in in Star Trek VI.

9. Norsehound

Norsehound Captain Captain

I know it's a forelorn hope, and while I wouldn't want to wish they just fly the old model, I do wish they'd avoid copying the K't'inga so closely. Are they two separate designs, or not?

I also pictured it being the Chancellor's special ride as the newest and most powerful ship in the fleet. I kind of wish we could see some of the power and performance out of the D7 in the next few eps... I think her only rival at this point is the Enterprise.

137th Gebirg likes this.
  10. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

L'Rell only promised to stay until Pike returned from the surface, so her ship might be gone next week.

Speaking of which, the trailer shows at least two types of black ship in the S31 fleet, the regular model and a four-naceller with a bit of saucer to her. But a red display glimpsed next to Tilly shows further types, including what looks like a big, long-nacelled shuttle. And there are lots of standard shuttles flying about, facing the enemy. Plus indistinct blobs without blue engine glow, almost like tiny ringships or those ring-probes first seen in TNG. So the stage is set for a battle more complex than any seen in DS9, even without the Klingons. Who should certainly show interest, though.

I'd hate to lose all the S1 models. Surely Starfleet proper should make a token appearance before season end, too? And while it's quite possible only the BoP, the Qugh and the flat D7 lookalikes were true fighting vessels, the rest of the Klingon zoo could appear in some other role.

Timo Saloniemi

11. 137th Gebirg

There are three schools of thought on that. One group says they’re two separate designs. Others say that they’re all production refits of the D-7’s in a way that the TMP Enterprise was from the original Connie’s. Then you have the retcon crowd who believe, like what was said by Gene with regard to the new TMP-era Klingon makeup, these new ships look how they were always supposed to look if they had a bigger budget back in the 60’s. Those aren’t as common, but I’ve seen them out there over the years. I’m in the first camp, they being separate distinct classes that happen to share some culturally-informed traditional design aesthetics. YMMV.

12. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Like the Enterprise, this D7 seems to have been upscaled. So unless it shrunk during the refit, I doubt it's the same ship. But who knows, maybe CBS will prove me wrong.

13. KamenRiderBlade

Maybe the Black D7 is a "Chancellor" specific FlagShip?

DEWLine likes this.
  14. Timo

I could see L'Rell facing political pressure to fly one of those, even if the project were an utter failure and the ship a deathtrap...

...Also if the no-frills D7 was the Empire's quick solution to wartime attrition, and the weakest and cheapest bucket of bolts in the Fleet arsenal, even if serving admirably as such.

In either case, there could still be special flagship gear aboard. But I expect to see more D7s in this show, even if just for the climax of S2 after which we move on to different things, and I then expect all of them to be externally identical to L'Rell's ship, for practical reasons. But I hope to be disappointed there!

...The one thing that stands out in DSC writing is the constant mysterious appearing and disappearing of guest stars. It's an artifact of season-long plots in a sense, but the weird character jumps happen within an episode (Sarek jumps ship in the middle of a crisis, Cornwell appears out of nowhere for two scenes) just as often as between those (Reno disappears when Tilly is sucked into sporespace). The promo for this week shows Georgiou appearing again. Magically or not? The Mother of Fatherland was supposed to be out there hunting for Leland, but apparently all S31 space travel assets have been coopted by Control now. What is Georgiou's means of travel? A shuttlecraft again? Can just about anybody waltz in on the orbit of Boreth, even without a stealthy S31 spyship or a spore drive?

Timo Saloniemi

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    David cgc and Longinus like this.
  15. KamenRiderBlade

Maybe S31 has stealthy ShuttleCraft?

We know the US has Stealthy versions of standard Helicopters when we went in to take out Osama Bin Laden.

It stands to reason that if S31 has Stealthy StarShips, that their ShuttleCrafts will be a Stealthy Variant of the default ShuttleCraft.

16. Timo

So the question becomes, why hasn't Control zombified Georgiou if she flies one of those.

...Or has it?

Timo Saloniemi

17. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Georgiou would leave a bad taste in Control sensors.

18. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

19. Timo

From USS Enterprise, it seems.

Pike didn't tell his nameless XO to specifically embark those last week, so are they standard gear? We saw formations of small things in the trailer - perhaps not Control drones facing our heroes after all, but rather fightercraft from the hero ships?

Hard to make out any shapes, save for "elongated" and "possible bulges flanking the stern". Not much in the way of warp or impulse glow, either, not on things that small, but we do see the stern of an apparent shuttlecraft up close(r). Are the fighters minimal modifications of those, perhaps? The fight appears to start out at extreme point blank ranges - the four-naceller is almost touching the Enterprise! Perhaps ideal for fightercraft, whereas a more usual separation would lead to their slaughter before they reached their targets?

Paint me excited.

Timo Saloniemi

20. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I doubt that they're standard-issue support craft, but they might have been embarked at the start of Pike's "Red Signals" mission before Enterprise had her breakdowns.