Does It Get Better???

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by AdmiralScreed, Dec 4, 2011.

1. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

I think it was actually a better idea to have Neelix be the one who suffered the missing lung and the repercussions of it (which my other post mentioned, it does change him for the better) than some random red-shirt ensign. If there was one problem with TOS, its that no one gave a shit every time a red-shirt kicked the bucket.

Voyager has plenty of examples of random "red-shirts" getting killed off, when I would much rather they have used an established character. Killing someone we already know and love conveys the magnitude of their situation (think, Tasha Yar in Skin of Evil. Holy shit, that mud monster just killed Yar! He's evil!!!!!!)

2. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

I accept the fact that Neelix is alien and so is his physiology.
    So I don't expect him to have these set backs or that the issue would be ongoing. Besides, I'd like to think in a universe with hyposprays, transporters, replicators and papa Joe Sisko being kept alive with artificial organs, medical science would have also moved beyond the use of an iron lung.

How real does Trek need to be before it stops being fiction?

3. dulcimer47

dulcimer47 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I agree, and outside of "Jetrel", how much of any of this was really dealt with?

It's not like I expect multiple episodes with him in physical therapy or anything, I'm just saying that the loss of the lung did not affect the character in any way from that point forward. If someone skipped "Phage", would they even notice, other than for Janeway's two-second reference and Neelix's correction of her that someone mentioned earlier.

In some ways, this is just the flaw with episodic storytelling. Voyager was basically an anthology series with the exception that the main characters were the same every episode, but almost nothing mattered episode-to-episode.

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh bother.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  5. You_Will_Fail

You_Will_Fail Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Its just a freaking lung, what did you expect them to do exactly? Write episodes about how Neelix is out of breath? The lung that is left adjusts and becomes stronger, Neelix would hardly be at any disadvantage in his daily routine.

6. tighr

If someone skipped Phage, they would miss all of the plot exposition that I mentioned in my earlier post. At this point I don't feel like re-iterating it anymore, So I'll just link you to that post:

http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?p=5771134&postcount=917

7. exodus

Ummm, "Rise", ""Mortal Coil", "Once Upon a Time", Homestead"....:wtf:

How many episodes did TNG take to cover the affects of Worf having spinal replacement surgery?

How many eps did DS9 do about Nog loosing a leg?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  8. Lord Manitou

Lord Manitou Commander Red Shirt

Their was no evidence throughout the series Neelix ever got sick because of one lung. If he didn't already acquire a second lung he probably would receive some type of replacement from the Talaxians when he got onto the asteroid in "Homestead". I had to give up smoking- I know how it is.

9. AdmiralScreed

AdmiralScreed Captain Captain

Sorry it's been awhile since my last Voyager update. I've been staying at school late into the evening all week, so I haven't had any time to watch Voyager. I should have time to watch more tomorrow night. I just thought I would let you all know.

10. exodus

Hurry!!!
    We need to get this post back on topic. :lol:

11. AdmiralScreed

You mean you don't enjoy talking about Neelix's lung? :p

12. tighr

Eh, considering the last episode you reviewed was a Malon episode, I'm cool with continuing the Neelix lung topic!

Ahh, the Vidiians. It was a sad day when Voyager passed their space.

13. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

The Viidians should've been the main villains for the first couple of seasons. They were way scarier adversaries than the wimpy Kazon were.

14. You_Will_Fail

You_Will_Fail Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't think they would have made sense as the main villains. They weren't some centralized force that could organize to go after Voyager...because that would have made no sense.

15. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed the retarded cowboy element of the Kazon. They were just a bunch of biker jerks with space ships.

16. exodus

Sons of Anarchy meets Star Trek.
    Yeah, I can see that.:lol::lol:

I don't know about main villains but I wouldn't have minded more episodes in the first two seasons featuring them. I never understood that if the race was so desperate to find a cure that they'd steal organs right out of a living person, why they didn't organize to hunt down Voyager for B'Elanna? If they believed Klingon DNA held a cure, why wouldn't they come after Voyager in force? Voyager would have been in serious dire straights with a 1-2 threat of the Vidiians and Seska w/ the Kazon. Voyager would've had nowhere to run.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  17. AdmiralScreed

Drone: I quite like this episode. It further developed Seven, my favorite character on Voyager, and it also introduced a Borg with 29th century technology. The Borg drone in this episode was interesting and it was fun to see his/her/its interactions with the crew members. All in all a satisfying episode.
    7/10

18. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The second Janeway saw what the mobile emitter could do for the Borg, she should have destroyed the emitter, destroyed any technical data, and then erased any memories of anything that could be used to recreate the aforementioned lost data.

The Borgs efforts to recreate the accident were nominal considering the deeper level perfection that was presenting itself.

19. exodus

Voyager trivia:
    The actor playing One is the same actor that plays the Nazi in "The Killing Game"

20. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

The hot nazi?