do you think TOS should have been remastered?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Clym, May 12, 2016.

1. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

No. If they had this discussion wouldn't arise repeatedly.

2. WebLurker

WebLurker Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

From my experience, agreement is rare on anything, so I don't agree that disagreement is evidence that I'm wrong. If you have counters to the specific points I made, that would be evidence.

3. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

You think it's peachy. Nice for you. I think it's crap and thats all I need to know.

4. pepsiRetro

pepsiRetro Ensign Newbie

i think most of the remastered effects look alright, but i definitely agree that a lot of them are... out of place, to say the least. i think i'll always prefer the original models over cgi.

Ssosmcin likes this.
  5. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The original effects are still the best! Except for those green atlas globes that are supposed to be the Earth! The other planets look fine to me!
    JB

6. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Yeah. In truth there aren't many f/x in TOS that don't come off well, but those Earth globes screamed cheap. That and the obvious AMT kit represnting the Constellation.

Doctor Clu and johnnybear like this.
  7. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in Space did quite a good planet earth as I recall but that old Constellation model, especially at the end of the show, which was one of the very best, looked terrible didn't it!
    JB

8. Elder Knight

Elder Knight Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've bought some "digitally remastered" DVDs where "digital' must have men they'd used a finger to start the VCR when the disc was made!

9. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

For all the criticism LIS takes (much of it deservedly) they still managed to do their share of admirable f/x.

10. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The miniature fx and the music scores were so good, they kept all but the very worst LIS episodes afloat!

11. uniderth

uniderth Commodore Commodore

Sorry, but Doomsday Machine looks completely wrong WITHOUT the AMT Constellation. Yes, there are some shots where it screams that this is a plastic model ship(mainly shakiness). A little clean up could fix that . However, change the design from the AMT to a *copy-paste* of the Enterprise and it will look horrible no matter how shiny the effects are.

Yes. It's a shame Lost in Space was so campy. Everyone knows, you never go full campy.

spockboy likes this.
  12. spockboy

spockboy Captain Captain

My answer to the original Thread question, Should Star Trek have been remastered?

:)Spockboy

13. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Now that's cool!

14. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Oh, yeah! If it had been done like that it would have been awesome.

15. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would be soooooo down with that!

16. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

It's nice work, but the lighting on the model (no fault of Spockboy's) makes it look faker than the original.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  17. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

It's the idea thats noteworthy because under actual conditions the 11 footer would be lit differently than it is on didplay in the Smithsonian. Nonetheless it doesn't look flat like TOS-R.

18. Doctor Clu

Doctor Clu Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

So, a few years back after seeing the "Tribbles and Tribulations" episode on DS9 I said "That is what Star Trek original needs. Just have some fun with more modern effects on the space shots."

Star Trek Remastered came out and I LOVED IT. :D I was watching "All Our Yesterdays" and I loved how the sun goes supernova and the planet is shown destroyed in the shockwave. Awesome.

As someone said, both copies are available so a win for all. I think they did a awesome and respectful job on the material, only adding when something was described or inferred in the script. That was a nice touch.

WebLurker and RAMA like this.
  19. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

But not exactly bad for a few minutes work to demonstrate the repair work.

Under studio conditions of course it work look significantly better, this was one lighting pass rather than the multiple used and composited for filming work.

There's also the odd robotic focus on the Enterprise being too linear, but a subtle curve could be added by panning a camera for proper episodic work.

As for All Our Yesterdays, the supernova shot is terrible. Not for the wow factor because that was a treat for the few moments it took to see the real issue, much like the Gorn.

Light takes 8.5 minutes to reach Earth from Sol, any planet in an M-class "Goldilocks Zone" would be equivlanetly around 1.5 AU from a Yellow Dwark star, to develop a human like race.

A Mass Coronal Ejection travels at slower than the speed of light, it should have taken hours for a physical shockwave to reach the planet and flay the surface, not even breaking it apart as we saw. That would take something more like the Hobus event in ST2009.

Generations used the McGuffin of Trilithium to have the CME travel roughly at the speed of light so that it reached planets and stations several minutes (Worf said 8-12 minutes for Viridian) later, even they didn't have an explosion that inexplicable.

That was sloppy.

20. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The TOS-R supernova was compressed to fit the allotted time. It's a dramatic portrayal of what happened, not a piece real-time camera footage taken from another spacecraft. The football analogy would be when they speed up part of an instant replay to save time.

Note that the original fx shot also showed the planet being snuffed out in seconds, so you'd have to argue that that was terrible too.