Poll Do you consider Discovery to truly be in the Prime Timeline at this point?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Annorax849, Feb 4, 2018.

?

Is it?

1. Yes, that's the official word and it still fits

194 vote(s)
    44.7%
  2. Yes, but it's borderline at this point

44 vote(s)
    10.1%
  3. No, there's just too many inconsistencies

147 vote(s)
    33.9%
  4. I don't care about continuity, just the show's quality

49 vote(s)
    11.3%
  1. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

STVI:TUC (circa Nov. 1991) was already inconsistent as in the 4th Season TNG episode "Redemption" (circa June 1991) had Gauwron stating: "Women cannot serve on the Council." ;)

(To be fair though, it could be a case of Klingon's re-writing history because of what happened when Klingon Women served on the Council previously so the fact females HAD served was erased and the rule changed. Also, nowhere was it said in STVI:TUC that Ateztbur was in fact the first female Klingon to head the council; just that she was named in her father's stead after his assassination to lead the Council.)

2. WebLurker

WebLurker Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, so there are exceptions to the rule.

Sorry, I meant "first female character to be showns as chancellor."

She says that in response to Worf explaining that Darvin was surgically altered. Irregardless of the what the DS9 crew knew or did not know, even before ENT, we knew of ridged Klingons being altered to look human despite there also being the non-ridged TOS Klingons.

3. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

You know, this series has nothing significant to do with the original Star Trek other than the reuse of some trademarks. Worrying about whether they're in the "same timeline" is meaningless. It's like asking if a Lamborghini and a Yugo are both cars. They are...but Discovery is a Yugo.

BillJ likes this.
  4. lawman

lawman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

People would complain if you say that?

(Well, okay, maybe Disney would. Technically they control "canon" for SW, just like CBS does for Trek. But other than that, I'd think most fans would be more than happy to forget SW Episodes 1-3 ever existed and erase them from their mental continuity...)

5. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Thus far, I've never felt like the DISCO Klingons are the "one and only" in the Empire.

6. Donker

Donker Commander Red Shirt

It will be interesting to see how Star Trek fans talk about Discovery in a few years time. I suspect that Discovery will be kind of viewed as "half-canon" by the majority of fans. Stuff in Discovery did sort of happen.. but we just don't really talk about it and we just "ignore" the look of the Klingons and pretend they and their ships were far more normal.
    I've already noticed in a lot of Star Trek discussions outside of /r/Startrek and TrekBBS, fans basically don't even really discuss Discovery as Prime canon at all and people often even forget it exists.

7. Jesse1066

Jesse1066 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That would put it in pretty much the same category as TAS. I think that will change though as time goes on. Just like how most people accept Enterprise now

unimatrix7 likes this.
  8. Moe

Moe Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I can't say it is, to many inconsistency and how are they going to explain away the spore drive. It's such an overpowering ability in the universe. There are plenty of plot holes as well but I'm not going to elaborate on that.

9. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Gonzo likes this.
  10. Mirror Mirror

Mirror Mirror Commodore Commodore

They looked the same in TNG, which they would be allowed to use. They just would be bared from movie only stuff, which is not a bad thing.

11. F. King Daniel

All those looks originated in the movies though, surely making them their property and giving Paramount the edge should any legal dispute arise?

Gonzo likes this.
  12. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

As I just said over there, that writer is mistaken...they have already used the Vulcan Katra (Star Trek II- IV) the new enterprise leans into the refit, but there’s also the Vulcan education machines in Burnhams flashback isn’t there?
    (If you want get technical, the cross field itself is an unused what-became-movie-era design as it’s base, which is in the background in III)
    There’s also too much crossover between the pre 2009 movies and the TV show. Movie Scotty, Excelsiors and Miranda’s, BoPs, K’Tingas, etc. The writer is clearly mistaken. The only reason they can’t really refer to the movies is because they haven’t happened yet.

13. F. King Daniel

The crossover in Berman Trek happened before the CBS/Paramount split so is immaterial. Things looking similar but not identical (Vulcan Learnatarium pods etc) are a grey area but technically don't count.

I would imagine a writer on the show itself has more insider knowledge on this issue than any of us. She's likely been told by some one above her what she can and can't reference.

Gonzo likes this.
  14. jaime

It just doesn’t fit with what we know about the license, (or the picture on the wall they used to show it was prime in an oblique way) and Katra alone is pretty much a heavily movie era thing.

15. F. King Daniel

They mentioned Katras in passing, but implemented them entirely differently to Search For Spock. There was no downloading of consciousness, just long-distance communication which was established in TOS.

16. unimatrix7

unimatrix7 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is a tedious ritual that plagues every iteration of Star Trek until it ends and the rose-tinted glasses do their thang. They debated whether or not DS9 was canon. Then did it again with Voyager. Then Enterprise. I dunno, I feel like those TOS fans who didn't like 'the bald guy' also argued TNG wasn't 'canon' as well, but I doubt those people would be seen dead in a Disco forum so we may never know.

So, like clockwork, here we are again.

Discovery clearly is canon. The writers have said so. The continuity issues are no more egregious than in any other iteration of Trek, and there's an entire subset of Trekker devoted to rationalising continuity blunders - and a mighty fine job they do as well. Bless their souls for the important role they play in my mental health.

Trek continuity has always been a bit awkward. It's like a big yukyy dog blanket - a few holes in places, a little rough around the edges. Needs a wash. But take it away and Fido will fight you.

But whatever. You do you :borg:

17. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Even if something truly originated in one of the movies, but was then used in TNG or VOY (I'm thinking of the refit D7/K'Tinga class), I think that would be a precedent that would allow DSC to use it. Unless there was a contractural thing that was very specific about where and how many times something could be used.

Though the D7 might be a bad example since the smoother version was seen in TOS. We say plenty of Excelsior class ships on TNG & DS9.

When did CBS & Paramount split anyway? Could some of the earlier uses be grandfathered in?

18. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

We don't know what CBS can and can't use. We know what a staff writer said in a general way in an interview.

Many design elements in this show and Trek in general track to the pre-Abrams films, including that animated "Red Alert" banner they make a point of using.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    lawman and jaime like this.
  19. jaime

They had sarek stick part of his Katra in Burnham to bring her back to life. It’s closer to the movie use, including the word itself, than it is to Spocks obi wan moment. The whole show is closer to movie era aesthetics in general. I think the writer got the wrong end of the stick. *shrug*

20. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

Yes you are, you ever watched Deep space Nine or STUC?