Poll Do you consider Discovery to truly be in the Prime Timeline at this point?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Annorax849, Feb 4, 2018.

?

Is it?

1. Yes, that's the official word and it still fits

194 vote(s)
    44.7%
  2. Yes, but it's borderline at this point

44 vote(s)
    10.1%
  3. No, there's just too many inconsistencies

147 vote(s)
    33.9%
  4. I don't care about continuity, just the show's quality

49 vote(s)
    11.3%
  1. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

In my head-canon, they're either a Klingon-???? hybrid that developed on a different planet or Klingon-Hur'q hybrids (which might explain them using the ancient Ship Of The Dead™). They eventually die out of course.

2. WebLurker

WebLurker Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's good to hear.

You assume too much.

Jesse1066 and Ceridwen like this.
  3. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

The problem is, every Klingon shown, including the apparent high council (thought they weren’t united?) has been the new version. They need to mix it up a bit.

Ar-Pharazon likes this.
  4. Ar-Pharazon

If there are different sub-species, the ones we are seeing now are "in power" and represent 24 houses that were gone by the TOS or TNG/DS9 eras.

The smooth headed ones could have been deemed impure and relegated to slave work basically. I don't know how many, if any, ridge headed ones weren't affected by the Augment Virus™, but they could have been cast out as well.

Or for all I know, the ones we're seeing on DSC are ridge headed Klingons that were affected differently by the virus.

Lots of ways to explain it, if they decide to explain it.

fireproof78 likes this.
  5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I imagine the House of Kor likely existed into the 24th century. The fact that they openly announced Kol being part of the House of Kor would seem to mean (at least to me) that the others in the same house would have the same basic traits, including Kor.

6. Ar-Pharazon

Maybe Kol was leading the house of a different Kor? Or he usurped the house, though I'd wonder why he would keep the name.

7. jaime

I’d just like it if they did. Simple as that really. I didn’t care about the TOS to TMP jump and it’s followup, that made sense, redesign for budget, but of handwavery...this redesign is not the same in that regard (its still sticking sculpted latex or silicone on a face) and is not objectively ‘better’ so it needs better addressing in the narrative itself I think.

Jesse1066, lawman and Ar-Pharazon like this.
  8. Ar-Pharazon

Well, they've gone through 15+ months in season 1, so if the show goes on a while, we certainly get closer to TOS proper.

A lot can happen in that time, and they swear it's going to get "closer to the TOS aesthetic" or something along those lines.

9. Mirror Mirror

Mirror Mirror Commodore Commodore

Not really, the other show used them. They cpuld really only defend things not shpwn outside the movies.

10. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Or at least give some of them hair. I mean, damn, these Klingons are just one huge bag of suck if you don't count a few random ones here and there like L'Rell.

Jesse1066, jaime and ChristopherPike like this.
  11. WebLurker

WebLurker Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That would help big time in accepting the the redesign as fitting into the world it ostensibly belongs to.

That is an interesting point; with hair, the designs are not that far off from the standard ridged ones used in the post-TOS projects. A retcon involving ritualistic head shaving would be a good fix (given that the behind the scenes idea of them having organs on their head and thus they cannot have hair doesn't work).

12. Emperor Norton

Emperor Norton Captain Captain

To take Discovery as prime timeline canon is to assume that so much that was established previously in the franchise is not canon. So either the shows that came before have elements that are non-canon, or Discovery itself is outside of the canon, inside of its own related but distinct universe. A reboot, a reimagining, and the assorted labels are a conceit to that. Which is fine if that is what they are doing, but not when it is not admitted to.

The differences do pile up. There is a decent tradition of squinting to make something fit in franchise canon, but it has not been this stark before. And the official line each time is "trust us, it'll fit". Even the Animated Series, which conflicts in ways with later established canon, was not as difficult to fit into canon. Somehow, Pike's Enterprise looks like this depiction, but reverts just in time for the second pilot. The uniforms look like this iteration, but revert just in time for the second pilot. The Klingons were explained with the augment virus, but are somehow a starkly different species in this, and then revert, and then change to something else that was established as the way Klingons look. There's holographic projector technology that was just being tested in Deep Space Nine one hundred years later. The stuff that should have been the only stuff to quibble about is the phasers looking the way they do, and the relatively minor minutiae that can fit with squinting it into canon. Those are easy enough to dismiss as an issue. But it is stark thing after stark thing that really cannot be dismissed. So retcon, reboot, reimagining, whatever the label, is a conceit that this is not the same history and universe that was collectively presented previously. Again, fine, but they need to just cop to it. Frankly "this is prime timeline" is just a marketing tool and PR doublethink.

F. King Daniel and lawman like this.
  13. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Still works ok with me if I squint ;)

14. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think @lawman said it best in this thread:
    That is how Discovery cannot ever be the same world as The Original Series.

CaptainMurdock likes this.
  15. jaime

Adaptations people. Adaptations. Trek is not one. Oz is.

lawman likes this.
  16. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

No, it doesn't.

Star Trek's canon has always contained numerous contradictions. It can contain more contradictions.

17. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

No

18. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nope. Because marketing never pushed the Prime angle.

All marketing has ever said is 10 years before Kirk and Spock. They never said what Kirk or Spock. Although I haven’t seen that in any marketing since last year

Any mention of prime or or adhering to canon has been in interviews and conventional panels from the writers/producers.

Discovery is very very easy to reconcile with the rest of Trek, you people just don’t want to see it.

Hythlodeus, burningoil, JoeP and 2 others like this.
  19. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

Oz is freakin many: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adaptations_of_The_Wizard_of_Oz

Actually with Frank Baum's Oz books in the open domain, just about anyone can do an Oz film, as long as they don't incorporate specific prior movie elements. Oz the Great and Powerful production team had to do that a few times, skirting carefully, but it worked out alright. Tin Man was a truly odd adaptation (I liked it, apart from the lead actress),

It's from the same production company trying hard, in terms of narrative, to stay in the continuity of TOS, even it it doesn't look like TOS. It's all down to an individual's perception anyway, so I think the term someone from the show used, visual imagining, fits.

20. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

Indeed, and only came up in the first place because people wouldn't stop carrying on about it. It's hardly on the posters.

Hythlodeus, JoeP and Gonzo like this.