Discovery has been delayed until May 2017

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Balok's Decoy, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Visitor1982

Visitor1982 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Disappointed.

2. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Given they didn't say "Fuller's been replaced..."; I'd say (given they're already making a profit based on distribution sales outside the U.S.) - They looked at the 3 scripts turned in, and the outline and saw the production crews (PRE and POST would need the time (and maybe a bigger overall budget) to do it at the level CBS wants.

OR

Yeah, someone dropped the ball - and they were forced to give them more time based on what they know now.

Either way, the decision's been made. I do have to wonder if their was any clause in distribution contracts that specified any penalties if CBS failed to deliver the show on the original premiere date.

3. LtChange

LtChange Captain Captain

Given that they have said that the show should start filming at 22nd of September I always thought that January is unrealistic. The first season is harder to film as this is the first time they will use the new set and after filming a few episodes they must set the tone of the SFX and so on. As I watch a few more series, making an episode from 0 to the final product in a series with little to no SFX usually take 2-3 months, so I was almost sure that Discovery cannot meet this deadline as it should be SFX heavy.

So I'm not surprised.

And there is another aspect: usually sci-fi shows that are shown outside the regular TV season behave better on the summer. This was the case with Stargate or Battlestar Galactica when they were running on the summer. So it might be a good thing to the series

Seven of Five and m.lp.ql.m like this.
  4. jamestyler

jamestyler Commodore Commodore

As someone who writes a club magizine, I'm the opposite as my December issues gonna be a little bit light! :p

Overall though - best news so far. while it's not unusual to still be working on the details this late in the game, for the stakes on the line and the kind of story they're writing.... there's a lot that needs to be solidly defined and timed out.

Rush jobs are never good - and this has been pushing the limits with Fuller's late arrival to the team. I'm glad someone saw sense.

5. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And there was me thinking the 50th Anniversary celebrations had gone so unnoticed, and well, non-existent basically, they'd bring forward screening the feature-length pilot a few weeks, to this Christmas.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  6. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Seeing as how we've not heard anything yet on casting, shooting schedules, etc and it's halfway through September I was beginning to wonder in January was a little over-ambitious. I'm hoping this extra time will help them make something truly great out of Discovery.

Unless they've given into the four signature petition to cancel Discovery altogether and create a new series
    :guffaw::guffaw::guffaw:

jamestyler likes this.
  7. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Well, this is a bit disappointing, but at least I have a nice birthday present on the way. :rommie:

Thefallguy and Markonian like this.
  8. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

And while it is successful it's also pretty awful, the writing is atrocious, the acting often mediocre to bad.
    Meanwhile, over on The CW the procedural crime drama with zombies aka iZombie is a fantastic show! So maybe CBS's idea wasn't that bad, they smelled the stink of awfulness from Kirkman's pitch and suggested something good instead.

9. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

January 4 is the due date for our baby girl, so I agree that this delay is preferable

Thefallguy and Jedman67 like this.
  10. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Had your baby girl and Discovery arrived on the same day you could always have named her after the new Number One :lol:

11. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I think there was a rush to announce this new series before much of it was actually developed. We probably shouldn't even have heard about this new series coming until a few months ago.

12. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

Unfortunate but understandable. No need for panic and wild guesses.

Sci likes this.
  13. ELURIA

ELURIA Captain Captain

Delayed until May?
    B-but I was all set for robots in January :wah:

Balok's Decoy likes this.
  14. ConRefit79

ConRefit79 Captain Captain

I heard somewhere that Fuller is notoriously slow at making decisions.

15. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

I've heard that a long time ago. I still can't decide if it's true though. :rofl:

Thefallguy and Jedman67 like this.
  16. Trekfan12

Trekfan12 Captain Captain

I am disappointed, I wonder when they first started planning out the show? Well I would rather them work things out on quality and making sure that things fall into place without being rushed to get it to air than to be monday night quarterbacking about how they rushed things. So I guess I'll HAVE to be patient.

17. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

They did say they were already making a profit on the series. If that's true, they may have little incentive to actually distribute the series and incur those costs! ;)

Mr Awe

18. uniderth

uniderth Commodore Commodore

Well, this just gives us an excuse to continue the celebration with the 51st Anniversary of Star Trek!

19. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

So the ST DSC premiere will air during Nielsen rating sweeps in May and the inevitable season 1 blu-ray will be in released Q4 now guaranteed not in Q3.

20. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

Vaportrek?

Mr Awe likes this.