Discovery has been delayed until May 2017

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Balok's Decoy, Sep 14, 2016.

1. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

Why am I not surprised? Ugh. I expected something special about Discovery on the 50th Anniversary. Nothing came.

4 months isn't an especially long wait, but honestly January always seemed too optimistic with the glacial pace everything has been moving.

2. Commander Keiran MacDuff

Commander Keiran MacDuff Lieutenant Red Shirt

I will say this-- it speaks volumes about the maturity of Star Trek fans that everyone is reacting so reasonably.

If this were about a first person shooter console game everyone would be completely outraged and whipped up. Glad it's not.

3. Overgeeked

Overgeeked Captain Captain

I've been waiting for good new Trek since 13 May 2005. I can wait an extra five months.

4. BlueStuff

BlueStuff Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not surprised at all. I was saying all along I couldn't see how they were going to make a January release given that they've done no casting or shooting, nor completed even half of the scripts. I was told that this is nothing new, that back in the days of 26 episode seasons, they had only 3 month breaks before the new season began. Trouble is, TV has changed a LOT since then.

Mordock likes this.
  5. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

6. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh noes! The Star Trek franchise is doomed! It's all collapsing! So close to it's triumphant return, and now back to the void. Clearly Bryan Fuller has proved himself a hack and can not be trusted with the privilege of running a Trek series. Save us, Rick Berman! Help him, Brannon Braga! Someone find out if Ron Moore is available! Contact the ghost of Gene Roddenberry!

Okay, in all seriousness, I am annoyed. I take vacations in January and I was looking forward to spending my next vacation watching the new Trek series. Now, I'll just have to wait until summer. Grumble, moan...

7. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

You must be fairly new around here.

8. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Disappointed but not surprised. Had they even started filming yet? There was no news on the cast either which was supposed to be coming in October. But that would be cutting it close.

9. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

The buzz for Discovery is pretty minimal outside of fandom, and even with the fans it has been up (Fuller, Meyer, Prime Universe) and down (ship's design, prequel setting). Combine that with what had been a reasonably successful series of films featuring the crown jewel Trek characters underperforming with the release of a movie which was largely well received by critics and fans, makes me wonder if CBS is freaking out a little bit about some of the choices made to date.

10. { Emilia }

{ Emilia } Cute but deadly Moderator

I think that's highly unlikely. There's next to no info on the new show yet so the fact that there's no buzz outside the Trek fandom seems pretty normal.

Balok's Decoy likes this.
  11. Paradise City

Paradise City Commodore Commodore

It doesn't bother me. It'd be one thing if they pulled it if it was due on next week. But one stack of months is pretty similar to another stack of months.

12. STMSTS

STMSTS Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I wonder if it's a casting issue? Perhaps there's a lead that they want that's unavailable to join the production until next year and this delay is simply to allow for schedules to work, and the stated rationale is spin designed to avoid having the actor be pointed to as the cause.

stardream and ELURIA like this.
  13. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

Wondering if there's Hollywood spin is like wondering of the sky is blue (on Earth) and dark at night. As for the rest, anything is possible when you're not privvy to the facts.

14. STMSTS

STMSTS Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

This wasn't possible because of the deal with Paramount over Beyind. There was an agreement of a six month buffer between the two.

15. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

Haven't read the comments in the official Trek Facebook pages, huh? ;)

16. locutus101

locutus101 Vice Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, my outrage is pretty much under control now...

17. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

My first reaction was "KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!"

But to be fair I'm underslept and off to work in a minute. As annoying as it is for us, the show will be better off for it in the long haul.

We don't want them to rush it and make a bodge.

Thefallguy likes this.
  18. locutus101

locutus101 Vice Admiral Rear Admiral

I just hope they'll get the cast soon enough.

19. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

Yeah wouldn't they have started casting by now? So perhaps they would have to change a few scripts if they cast someone that wasn't who they were originally thinking for the character?

Or perhaps the writers could have gone in a slightly different direction themselves? With the episodes being linked small changes will have a knock-on effect.

20. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

As someone who writes the news, I'm glad. Had it aired, say January 4, that would mean heavy news during the holidays and a debut when I'm undecorating.

So for selfish reasons, May is better for me. :D