Discovery has been delayed until May 2017

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Balok's Decoy, Sep 14, 2016.

1. m.lp.ql.m

m.lp.ql.m Commander Red Shirt

I miss the days of good ol' UPN who could force a Trek series on air whether it was ready or not.

2. wayoung

wayoung Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

TV'S been migrating to year long releases since the 90's. Fox even proclaimed TV seasons dead at one point (although they were pretty early with that). Some of cables biggest hits have been in this time frame lately (HBO alone has had Game of Thrones, True detective, The Night Of, Silicon Valley - other networks have Fargo, The Knick, Ray Donovan, etc. etc.) and as this is releasing on a streaming service the regular TV season is even more irrelevant. Orange is The New Black is one of Netflix's biggest series and it's a June release, along with Marco Polo also coming out in the summer this year.

If anything, it's more likely CBS accountants and data miners figured they'd make more money releasing it in May than that they're dumping an already profitable series there.

Hey, could be the show is already enough of a success that they increased the budget and that's part of the reason for the delay.

3. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

BOO!

I can't say I'm surprised considering both CBS and Paramount have been "Don't push me, I'm coming" in regards to the 50th anniversary. They've handled the 50th anniversary poorly. As pointed out, BBC did an amazing job with Doctor Who's 50th anniversary. Paramount barely acknowledged it when they were promoting Star Trek Beyond.

4. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How long before the "THERE'S NO SHOW! KURTZMAN EMBEZZLED THE BUDGET!" conspiracy stuff starts? :D

5. wayoung

wayoung Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Since Orci isn't involved I'm hoping we're done with stupid conspiracy theories in Trek for the time being ;)

Mr. Laser Beam, mos6507 and Rahul like this.
  6. slappy

slappy Commodore Commodore

Now just go back to the drawing board with that ship and logo. Poor design.

mos6507 likes this.
  7. Wowbagger

Wowbagger Commodore Commodore

"Mr. Secretary, I have here in my hand a list of 205 Star Trek employees that were known to Bryan Fuller as being fans of the Abrams movies and who nevertheless are still working and shaping the policy of the new Star Trek!”

8. Overgeeked

Overgeeked Captain Captain

Kind of obvious it was going to happen. Mid September and they don't have a cast of crew, much less time to do the CGI. Making an early January launch date wasn't going to happen.

RedAlert likes this.
  9. Kevin Wolff

Kevin Wolff Captain Captain

The January date was probably the network's attempt at "bookending" the 50th anniversary since they couldn't make it FOR the 50th. I'm glad they are taking the time, especially given the great looking productions Fuller has created in the past.

(Your signature echoes my sentiments about TNG/DS9 :techman:)

Overgeeked and RedAlert like this.
  10. CaptainDonovin

CaptainDonovin Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

We're doomed! Oh wait that's a different franchise. :devil:

Seriously I'm not worried, especially since there is AFAWK a cast yet. If it's going to take a little more time to get a really fantastic show then Make It So. My plate is pretty full with the Arrowverse on CW & a few other shows, now I'll have plenty of time to sit back & enjoy the new ride.

11. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

Game of Thrones is delayed to wait for - not avoid - bad weather.
    An Outlander release date remains unannounced.
    Westworld was delayed far longer for more development.

They all, and Discovery, are worth the wait to get it right. It's not surprising, and it's easy to find articles on this trend with the new business models.

In these days of streaming, I like that seasons are not locked to specific September start dates, that air times are not locked to the calendar or clock, and that the viewer chooses when to watch. Likewise, productions are unbound to artificial restrictions and schedules so they can decide when everything is ready.

Balok's Decoy likes this.
  12. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I'm not surprised. It was supposed to start January or February and so far no one has been cast and nothing filmed yet! I'll wait until they get it right.

13. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

Turned out, trying to place it in two series as both a prequel to TOS and a sequel to Battlefield Earth didn't play well to the test audiences.

Possibilities that occur to me, some of which have been mentioned:
    1. The show isn't ready or needs reworking somehow.
    2. CBS All-Access isn't ready and needs reworking somehow, or, CBS wants to start with more new content that they're still developing *aside* from Discovery.
    3. CBS believes that Rogue One or some other property from a competing company is going to be big in a way that would detract from the launch, so they're moving the launch to avoid overlap.
    4. Turns out, Discovery IS based on the Battle of Axanar, and now *they* have stolen some of the little bit of *original* IP that Peters & Co had created and have been hit with a cease and desist. :devil:

14. Commander Keiran MacDuff

Commander Keiran MacDuff Lieutenant Red Shirt

I suspect that this has more to do with CBS online not being ready more than anything else.

That being said, I agree with everyone here that I'd rather see a series that's been well thought out and polished than another UPN-style mess.

Philip Guyott likes this.
  15. Philip Guyott

Philip Guyott Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"The scheduling shift was driven by a request from the creative team of Star Trek: Discovery. Created/executive produced by Bryan Fuller and Alex Kurtzman, the newStar Trek series has three completed scripts and the first season mapped out. Sources say the show, which is now casting, was moving along according to its production schedule but its producers proactively asked the studio for more time to use in pre-production, filming and post."

“Bringing Star Trek back to television carries a responsibility and mission: to connect fans and newcomers alike to the series that has fed our imaginations since childhood,” Kurtzman and Fuller said in a statement. “We aim to dream big and deliver, and that means making sure the demands of physical and post-production for a show that takes place entirely in space, and the need to meet an air date, don’t result in compromised quality. Before heading into production, we evaluated these realities with our partners at CBS and they agreed:Star Trek deserves the very best, and these extra few months will help us achieve a vision we can all be proud of.”

Source: Deadline.com

16. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can wait until summer. Hell, I rode out the 70s and I got through just fine.

17. RedAlert

RedAlert Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

well... I just hope that the show kick some ass after all the time that we all have waited. I really do.

18. Balok's Decoy

Balok's Decoy Commodore Commodore

You just made me realize how spoiled I am.

19. Starscream2112

Starscream2112 Captain Captain

If it gets delayed any further it could end up going head to head with Netflix Lost in Space which could be interesting.

20. Kevin Wolff

Kevin Wolff Captain Captain

All the Trek series' have had difficult startups. It takes so much time to make a good Trek script especially in the beginning when the writers are still basically world-building and finding the show's direction.

I used to think scripts were a dime a dozen and they just made bad choices, but over and over in the 50-yr mission it's stated how the scripts were precious and few, and production is like a predator that just keeps coming. They lived in fear of having to cancel shoots because production caught up to script development. That was a cancelable offense back then.

That was all under the brutal 26-ep network format though. Now all that matters is a polished final product that can stand up to the quality of something like Game of Thrones. They are competing with the rising level of TV production, and young people these days don't give production quality a pass just because the story is good like we did twenty plus years ago.