Discovery ending with Season 5

Ideally a new series should be something new, something fresh. A new ship or starbase. Something that could draw in new viewers and wouldn't require homework of watching what came before.
Indeed. Entirely new, and building something that can draw in a lot of new audience members who maybe like scifi but are not interested in the bloated Star Trek fantasy world. Relying on nostalgia makes Trek completely unappealing to casual fans.

How about "Paramount Investor Relations Earnings Materials":
https://ir.paramount.com/earnings-materials#menu

This is from the earnings report that Paramount Global is publishing quarterly.

In this report is a list of what content on Paramount+ drove subscription/acquisition and/or engagement/consumption (mostly it's a combined list, sometimes Paramount list the two metrics separately):

Can you see the pattern?
1883 is on the list of top "subscription/acquisition and/or engagement/consumption" drivers for three consecutive quarters.
Halo is on the list of top "subscription/acquisition and/or engagement/consumption" drivers for two consecutive quarters.

Star Trek Picard was mentioned in one quarter (2022 Q1).
Star Trek Strange New Worlds was mentioned in one quarter (2022 Q2).

Do you notice what is missing? Star Trek Discovery.
If it was a success it should have been on the list of top "subscription/acquisition and/or engagement/consumption" drivers in 2021 Q4, but it's not.

Other IPs are driving subscription/acquisition and/or engagement/consumption in multiple consecutive quarters, sometimes two quarters after the quarter the show was released.
Star Trek IPs are only driving subscription/acquisition and/or engagement/consumption in one quarter, the quarter they were released, or not at all.

Exactly. It's pretty much a failure at this point. Star trek fans just don't like it. A few do but as Spock said "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few".Lol

Exactly. It's pretty much a failure at this point. Star trek fans just don't like it. A few do but as Spock said "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few".Lol
Then let it all fail. I don't find this amusing. Here's the quickest way to make it fail if you're that committed to it's failure...

...ready?

...it's a secret...

...STOP WATCHING! Watch what you like and ignore what you don't!

I don't care if it's a failure or not. I watch what I like. There's nothing "lol" about doing what you enjoy.

Why are people still responding to Char Kais? Nothing you say will change their mind.
I hadn't had my coffee yet...

Then let it all fail. I don't find this amusing. Here's the quickest way to make it fail if you're that committed to it's failure...

...ready?

...it's a secret...

...STOP WATCHING! Watch what you like and ignore what you don't!

I don't care if it's a failure or not. I watch what I like. There's nothing "lol" about doing what you enjoy.

I hadn't had my coffee yet...

Well it looks like people have stopped watching hence its cancelation after only 65 episodes or 5 multi part episodes if you want to think of it that way.

Well it looks like people have stopped watching hence its cancelation after only 65 episodes or 5 multi part episodes if you want to think of it that way.
I don't.

It's expensive to produce and it was the first. Cutting costs is the current attitude in Hollywood, from Disney and their reorganization efforts to save 5 billion dollars. If Disney is doing this, how much more so will other companies be struggling?

People are looking for Discovery to fail. Well, when you look at life through that lens of pessimism that is what you will see.

If I want to see FOX News-esque crap, I'll go watch FOX News.

Five seasons for DSC was a good run. Three seasons of PIC was a planned run. I mostly got what I wanted and am happy with that, and am fine to leave it there.

Unlike some people here, I know how to take an exit cue, so I'm bowing out on my own terms. The crazies on the other hand, will watch new Star Trek forever and ever and ever. Until they die. They're more dedicated than I am. Too bad it's a dedication to hatred.

I don't.

It's expensive to produce and it was the first. Cutting costs is the current attitude in Hollywood, from Disney and their reorganization efforts to save 5 billion dollars. If Disney is doing this, how much more so will other companies be struggling?

People are looking for Discovery to fail. Well, when you look at life through that lens of pessimism that is what you will see.

Well I'm glad a few enjoy the show. That's great for all of you. But Paramount plus is looking out for the needs of the many. With that said maybe we'll get a few star trek one shots with the tng crew every now and then with the saved money STDs cancelation will generate.

The Klingon redesign is 100% on Bryan Fuller, from what I understand (as are most of the over-produced aspects of design from the first season), but I have a sneaking suspicion that the whole Spock's sister thing was retconned into Michael's backstory after he left.

Don't get me wrong, I'm 100% certain that Fuller intended her to be bicultural - a human raised by Vulcans. But her backstory didn't make any sense with Amanda there as a fellow human. Not to mention if you watch the first two episodes the Sarek scenes really do seem lazily pasted in during reshoots - they are completely unneeded for the core narrative.
Michael being Spock's sister was definitely Fuller's idea. It's why Disco's first tie-in novel (which was specifically requested by Fuller himself) was about Michael and Spock's relationship. However, Fuller never wanted Spock on the show, which is why he requested the novels deal with his relationship with Michael. The decision to bring Spock on the show was one that was made after Fuller left.

Reactions: Sci
Well I'm glad a few enjoy the show. That's great for all of you. But Paramount plus is looking out for the needs of the many. With that said maybe we'll get a few star trek one shots with the tng crew every now and then with the saved money STDs cancelation will generate.
We won't.

I think we will. If Picard shows string enough numbers to warrant it.
We won't because legacy cost money. As you and others have demonstrated in this thread Star Trek is not a draw. It's not making Paramount money. They should cancel Trek and invest in shows that are a draw and making money. It's only logical.

We won't because legacy cost money. As you and others have demonstrated in this thread Star Trek is not a draw. It's not making Paramount money. They should cancel Trek and invest in shows that are a draw and making money. It's only logical.

Which means that we’ll get 50 more reality-tv shows in DSC’s place.

I think we will. If Picard shows string enough numbers to warrant it.

Nope. Once CBS realizes Trek shows lose more money than they make, they will stop producing all of them. PIC season 3 will not save Trek.

It really depends on season 3 of Picard and season 2 of STSNW. If their numbers are lackluster like STDs then yeah I agree Star Trek will be finished and all we will have reruns and our memories. :weep:

Back