DIS or DSC?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by FederationHistorian, Jul 8, 2020.

1. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

You know it could vary from ship to ship rather than just a shortening of the name. For instance, the Enterprise could be called "The Big E" in reference to naval history. Lexington could be "Blue Ghost," also reference to naval history. Though, I do like EX for the Excalibur.

2. Markonian

Markonian Commodore Commodore

Never seen the STD brigade use STV for Voyager, STE for Enterprise, or STL for Lower Decks.

3. fireproof78

Consistency is not fandom's strong suit.

Muji likes this.
  4. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Vice Admiral Admiral

Something I want to pin them down on. If "STD isn't Star Trek!", then what does the ST stand for? We all know the answer. They just won't say.

Which is what makes it the wrong acronym to use; all the way around. So anyone who does use it, but doesn't mean it like that, has to know that bashers of the show do use it like that. So anyone who uses "STD", but isn't bashing the show, is basically saying the way bashers use it, and the way they might potentially be perceived as a basher by others, isn't a deal-breaker for them.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    Shamrock Holmes, Qonundrum and Muji like this.
  5. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Admiral

Yep. I always used VOY, until I heard that the writing team used VGR.

I remember in the early days of Usenet and GEnie, the arrival of TNG caused the abbreviation ST to become STC ("Star Trek Classic", inspired by the then-recent "New Coke" debacle, which led to "Coke Classic" being released). The animated series was always STA ("Star Trek Animated").

Eventually TOS and TAS caught on.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    Lord Garth, Jinn and Tuskin38 like this.
  6. captain crow

captain crow Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

silver dog bone shaped satellite in Earth orbit
    :D

:shifty:

[​IMG]

I do except I put a colon after ST, because that's how they abbreviated Next Gen in magazines back in the day, and use "ST:LD" for Lower Decks. Also to me STV is Star Trek V. A colon after ST makes it Voyager.

Personally, I don't care what abbreviation system someone is using. As long as I know what they're talking about I'm just fine. I do, on the other hand, find it quite silly and sad that some people will outright ignore someone if they use certain abbreviations. Even going as far as to deem them "puerile trash" and calling them "H8TAHS!11!" and "FAKE FANS!1!!!!11!". That's just childishly petty.

Ar-Pharazon likes this.
  7. Muji

Muji Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Very interesting remarks inside your quotation marks there. I doubt you would crassly fabricate something like that in order to belittle opposing views, as that would be childishly petty; so who are you quoting?

Regarding ‘STD’: It is much more commonly used as an abbreviation for ‘Sexually Transmitted Disease’, as almost everyone who uses it knows and is the reason why most use it. In what way would it be childishly petty to consider that use puerile?

Regarding ‘ignoring someone’ who uses it: I believe I am the only person in this thread who made anything resembling that claim, would I be correct in thinking you’re referring to me? If I am, I’d refer you back to what I actually said, which is not that I ignore them, but that I don’t converse with them on the subject of Discovery. I also gave a reason, which I think is quite fair minded. If you’re referring to somebody else, then I guess my question is... who?

Markonian, Lord Garth and antinoos like this.
  8. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

DSC is the official abbreviation, and that's the end of the argument for me as to what the series should be abbreviated as.

Re: Voyager, I have always abbreviated it as VOY, but VGR has started creeping into my vernacular as well.

9. TommyR01D

TommyR01D Captain Captain

To reiterate what I said two years ago:
    I therefore push for DIS, as that is consistent with precedent. I suppose if you've always called Voyager VGR then DSC would make sense, though I'm not sure how you'd abbreviate Enterprise in that case (ETR? EPR? EPS?).

Looking forward, Picard should, by this system, be abbreviated as PIC and Lower Decks as LD.

STD, of course, is nonsensical. Apart from the obvious jokes, we don't normally use the ST prefix for any of the other series (at least internally) - only for the films. STD would be the five-hundredth Star Trek film. STV can't be used for Voyager as it already describes The Final Frontier, STTOS, STTAS, STTNG and STDS9 would be too unwieldy and STENT just looks weird.

10. WebLurker

WebLurker Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

DSC; that's what the people making the show have said it is, so that's really the end of the discussion in terms of authority (it also rolls off the tongue the best).

The argument for "DIS" is that that is consistent with the previous series' shorthand, which a quick examination can show is factually untrue.

"STD" is just a thing used to rile people up.

I want that shirt.

11. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

That's my favorite medical procedure.

XCV330 likes this.
  13. Lord Garth

ST: DSC
    ST:VOY
    ST:ENT

Seem like perfect compromises for people who'd want to use ST:_ as their abbreviation.

14. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

You can't have a space in the first one like that. ;)

Lord Garth likes this.
  15. Lord Garth

Fair point. If I'm gonna go for it, I'm gonna go for it.

ST:DSC

Jinn and Ar-Pharazon like this.
  16. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Works for DS9 too. Crazy code.

Jinn likes this.
  17. Geoff Peterson

Geoff Peterson Robot Skeleton Sidekick Premium Member

ST:GER
    ST:ISE
    ST:ERY
    ST:ARD

Tim Zombieson, XCV330 and Lord Garth like this.
  18. marlboro

marlboro Guest

19. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Commodore Commodore

I've always used STD for "standard"

Ar-Pharazon likes this.
  20. captain crow

captain crow Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

silver dog bone shaped satellite in Earth orbit
    That's bog standard stuff from overzealous portions of fandoms these days when they feel their beloved franchise is being slighted in some way.

I left a Doctor Who forum I used to enjoy going to because people kept hurling that stuff at anyone who had even the tiniest bit of criticism of an episode.

Its an unfortunate coincidence that STD can also stand for that but it's also a legitimate abbreviation for Star Trek Discovery.

There are people who have the misfortune of having STD as their initials as well. Are the being puerile for daring to use their initials?

I had an art teacher who had the initials BS. Is he puerile for daring to use his initials?

It's a bit arrogant for someone to assume others are only using STD to be an edgelord due to their own bizarre fixation that certain sets of initials can only stand for one thing. You do know a set of initials can stand for more than one thing, right? GM for instance can stand for General Motors, general merchandise, or general manager.

That's ignoring someone.

definition of ignore: refuse to take notice of or acknowledge; disregard intentionally.

I was generalizing about all who have this mentality not you personally. But if you insist.
    Name calling - "puerile haters"
    baseless assumption - "get their opinions from trashy, fake-hate peddling YouTubers"
    Ignoring - "I generally don't converse with these people on the subject of DSC"
    Deeming them beneath you - "They very rarely have anything worth listening to so I don't waste my time"

How is this not childishly petty?

All because someone dares to use an abbreviation that you've got some weird hang-up with.

Sorry if you feel like I was singling you out personally. Wasn't my intention at all. You just happen to be the one who posted the "only puerile haters use STD and I want nothing to do with them" shtick which triggered my annoyance of all persons with this mentality.

Tim Zombieson likes this.