Didn't like the movie? How would YOU have made it?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by OneBuckFilms, Nov 12, 2009.

1. OneBuckFilms

OneBuckFilms Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm curious. :)

2. OneBuckFilms

Show me the outline.

3. Shikarnov

Shikarnov Rear Admiral Premium Member

Pittsburgh, PA - (TX, CT, & RF in years past)
    I have a hard time thinking that Vektor's Enterprise, for example, wouldn't hold water with a modern audience.

4. Voyagerian

Voyagerian Commander Red Shirt

I could have done without the swollen-hands Kirk, and the lowtech engine room...the former didn't seem to fit in with the fact he was about to offer Pike a VERY crucial bit of info he'd suddenly realized-but it did'nt really kill the impact for me in the end. Abrams wanted I hear a more 'industrial' look for that section of the ship, and perhaps save some on budget, maybe?...but to me, Engineering is the heart, as the Bridge is the brain-control nexus of a starship...and the epitome of the powerful technology that flings man and allies through the cosmos, therefore, it should reflect the advancement suggested by the okay-arguably 'modernized' design-ethic overall of 1701 in the film....

5. Cary L. Brown

Cary L. Brown Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, I've answered this before, a few times, but my most recent one came from this thread:
    http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=106452

My answer is near the end of the thread. In case anyone doesn't want to read that entire thread, here's that answer again:

6. 6079SmithW

6079SmithW Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, I wouldn't adhere to cannon 100%, but I will try to be reasonable. I know that you want more detail OneBuckFilms but right now I just have vague ideas about what movie I would make. Sorry.

*Opening Sequence*: Okay, I'll rip-off opening of XI and "Balance of Terror" somewhat.
    *We start out with foreboding music and a badly damaged ship (a predecessor to Constitution) limping through space.
    *next scene, bridge: everyone is dead except for Captain Garth and a young Lt. Pike. It is a tense situation in which a fleet has been destroyed by "invisible ships" that attack at will. No one has ever encountered this before. to explain things to non-fans, we can have Garth saying how crucial it is to win because the existence of the federation is at stake and then he goes on and mentions why it is so great. Pike is shaken and wants to get the ship the hell out of there, but garth reminds him of starfleet's duty to defend the great federation. so we have some explanation to non-fans of the Federation and Starfleet. Garth wins brillinatly of course (somehow, not sure yet) and we end the prologue

7. 6079SmithW

6079SmithW Vice Admiral Admiral

I'll call my prologue the first battle of the Romulan War for the sake of cannon.
    *after prologue, start of film* (again, a very vague sketch)

*first scene: Kirk being given command of Enterprise. Older Pike turns over command to Kirk in official ceremony.
    *next: A more informal scene, in Pike's office. Kirk is there, it is established that Pike is retiring for personal reasons. Pike lectures him about what a good captain does and does not do. He recounts his hero, Garth, and how he was the epitome of captainhood, (which is in line with "Dagger of the Mind" and Kirk's view of his first CO, Garrevick). He recalls that battle that started the Romulan War. He tells Kirk how the Enterprise already has a lot of great history behind her(pride of starfleet, defender of the Federation) and essentially tells him not to screw this up (Kirk being the youngest captain and all).

8. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

This. :techman:

9. AnyStar

AnyStar Captain Captain

Scene one:

fade in
    man at desk in elaborate victorian office/library.

Mr. Director: Greetings, I'm Mr Director of your new ST film.

man picks up script

Mr. Director: this is the script

man throws script in fireplace

Mr. Director: this was about 100 times better than that script was, i promise you.

fade out to credits.

10. OneBuckFilms

That I'd go with. Good design, if a little on the greebly and blocky side. But I'd go with it.

11. OneBuckFilms

Perhaps, a specific example that would be accessible to someone with little to no knowledge of Star Trek. How would it work?

How would you introduce James Kirk? What, exactly, would we see scene-by-scene?

12. OneBuckFilms

I like a lot about this, actually.

Good action, a tense scene.

A couple of issues:
    - Captain Pike has a vague defense of something the audience has no reason to care about.
    - The lecture might be informative, but might slow things down unless it is really brief.
    - The audience is emotionally invested in Captain Garth and Captain Pike, if the scene is well done, but there is no connection as yet to Kirk and crew.

But not bad. :techman:

13. OneBuckFilms

I like this approach to some degree, but this feels a little like it's falling into the Biopic trap.

Is this movie about Kirk's first command, or is it about him becoming Captain?

If it is about him becoming Captain, perhaps Kirk should be a lieutenant at introduction, meeting Pike for the first time.

If Kirk has to earn his stripes, being handed command with a lecture might not be the best way to go here.

Also, it feels slightly disjointed from the opening, since Captain Pike was fighting this battle, then suddenly we're meeting someone else in a completely different situation, and hearing Pike telling him not to screw it up.

If we save this lecture until later, and use your Prologue in flashback form during the lecture, after we've spent some time with a younger Kirk, it might work much better.

14. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If only this was 2006 and I had some kind of influence over JJ Abrams and his writing team... then whatever I could come up with would actually matter. It's no exaggeration to say I've never been dissatisified with Star Trek before this. Maybe because nobody has ever crossed that line and purposely decided to throw out so much before. It would have be nice to be able to state my case to the new management of the value of staying within that original universe, or at the very least have had enough aspects left open to interpretation. Capable of being viewed as both a prequel and a reboot... fudging issues such as set design and updated FX as revisions for the sake of a modern audience.

Coming down with the ruling that all screen Star Trek from now on has to happen in the Abramsverse (or whatever its official title will be), that's just not what I wanted at all...

I simply don't agree that to be successful, it meant throwing out everything deemed too difficult to work around. They found a way of avoiding contradicting established continuity alright, by not trying very hard to stay true to it at all.

The selling point is a no-brainer. A story telling the origin of how Kirk, Spock and McCoy found their way to their iconic roles was always destined to be box office gold. I feel cheated because that's not what I got at all. It was something alternate instead, with a Kirk radically changed and a Spock forever robbed of his home world to go back to... both circumstances created by a villain who wasn't supposed to be there in the first place.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  15. AnyStar

AnyStar Captain Captain

i've never ever ever ever ever ever (get the point yet) met a prequel i liked, so for me it was doomed from the start.

16. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

I like Starship Exeter better. Go to Starshippolaris website, to Starship Exeter news and discussion, then to characters and stories and check out 'Will of the people'.

17. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I don't think people who disiked the movie should be asked how they would've done it better. Some people just don't like things.

I loved this movie, and there's things that I wish were done diffeent, but overall I think it's a movie that mostly worked for re-establishing the universe.

18. Captain Randy Hall

Captain Randy Hall Commodore Commodore

But that's what the next prequel will be all about. :bolian:

19. Captain Randy Hall

Captain Randy Hall Commodore Commodore

Amen to the first point. The idea of a jerk Kirk is a myth from people who never really watched Classic Trek. :vulcan:

Regarding point number 2, I understand the desire to have comedy, but I thought the scene with Scotty beaming into a water pipe was a waste of time. What was the purpose of the scene? To show that Kirk would rescue fellow crew members in trouble? :klingon:

And you're right with 3. Anything that puts McCoy and Chekov in the same time frame needs rethinking unless the doctor is making house calls and delivers a baby boy to the Chekov family. :rommie:

20. OneBuckFilms

Actually, this is very good. It has most of the elements, and has some great character ideas.

It also takes a couple of ideas from the movie, but as a whole, I like it. :techman:

I'll have to continue later. Pretty nice though.