Poll: To Those That Disliked It: What Kind of Movie Would You Have Wa

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Aike, Oct 23, 2009.

?

What kind of Star Trek movie would you have wanted?

1. The same premise with vital improvements

6 vote(s)
    23.1%
  2. A TNG movie

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  3. A DS9 movie

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. A Voyager movie

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. An Enterprise movie

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  6. A crossover movie with cast members from TNG, Voyager and DS9

6 vote(s)
    23.1%
  7. A movie featuring a new crew

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  8. A straight TOS reboot

3 vote(s)
    11.5%
  9. Something else

5 vote(s)
    19.2%
  1. Aike

Aike Commander Red Shirt

Ok, as Ghostface pointed out in his thread earlier there´s been a lot of polarization the past few months about the quality of Star Trek. Let´s see if we can see where we all stand.

So if you didn´t like Star Trek, what kind of movie would you have wanted back in May?

(I won´t vote myself since I liked the movie.)

2. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Poll: To Those That Disliked It: What Kind of Movie Would You Have

I must also abstain, as I loved the new movie.

3. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

A better-written one. So, I guess, "Same premise with vital improvements."

4. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm... indifferent.

I didn't love the movie. I didn't hate it. It has goods, and bads.

Is it "my" Star Trek? The Trek we've all loved for so long? No, I don't think so. I consider this movie to be the Trek of a new generation. And if it is how younger people become exposed to Trek, so be it. Especially if they follow the bread crumbs back to the real deal, you know?

So... I'm neutral.

5. startrekrcks

startrekrcks Fleet Captain

I loved the movie nuff said.

6. SilentP

SilentP Commodore Commodore

I'm interested at to what people have in mind when they voted 'Something else'. Anyone wish to elaborate?

7. TeutonicNights

TeutonicNights Commander Red Shirt

Straight TOS reboot

- with sets and models that more resemble the old ones
    - with more aliens
    - with a better story
    - that tries to fix past mistakes and bad decisions instead of making them again
    - that creates a living, believable, interesting 23rd century world
    - without shaky cam and blinding lights and extreme closeups and fast cuts and overly zany humor. I have had enough of that.

8. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

I liked it, but I'd be curious to know what those who didn't would do to improve it if they picked that option.

9. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

First choice: straight forward prequel, more in common with Harve Bennett's proposal back in the 90's but not entirely Academy based. Obvious changes to the look of Star Trek, the ships and set design should be reminiscent of TOS but updated and more detailed, as seen through a different lens. Leave it to the audience to decide whether it's a reboot or just a revised look at the time period shortly before WNMHGB. Allow each side to be happy with their point of view. Don't compromise the story just to explain what the official position is. Don't tell an audience how they should think or feel. Don't base a script around a shopping list of great moments from other films or TV episodes you feel need to be replicated in order for it to be Star Trek. If there's a decent fan pleaser... fine, but don't shoehorn them in because you think that's all the hardcore want. Focusing on one Star Trek universe is and always has been, acceptable to me. Transposing the franchise to an alternate reality (Jesus Christ, I hate thinking about how unnecessary creating Nero was, destroying Vulcan, changing Kirk's formative years), it hasn't done a damn thing because fans are still nit-picking the hell out of it, like ENT before it. Except now we have a dividing line between Prime & Abramsverse, which leaves fans cut adrift and alienated... That could have been handled so differently. Introducing Kirk, Spock & McCoy all over again to a whole new audience, while allowing older fans to apply their knowledge of what might be out there waiting for them... or else adventures could fill in the gaps of what we don't know.

Second choice: Enterprise era movie covering the closing days of the Romulan War and the Birth of the Federation. The television cast plus Shran with two or three big names in key roles... Captain Styles, recast the Romulan Admiral Valdore (from the Babel One trilogy) and a third, either human or Vulcan character. I'd loved to have seen the NX-01 on the big screen, going out in a blaze of glory.

I'll vote for Enterprise, since there's no option for traditional prequel provided.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  10. Brolan

Brolan Commodore Commodore

I also have to abstain. I thought the movie was good, but not great. But I also don't think it needed "vital improvements".

11. Disillusioned

Disillusioned Commander

My first choice would have been a movie that included the TNG/DS9/VOY crews as a way of passing the movie torch from the TNG characters to the others if they wanted to keep making movies, or as a way to wrap things up for that era.

My second choice isn't in the poll, namely a straight-up prequel or TOS era movie.

12. The Laughing Vulcan

The Laughing Vulcan Admiral Admiral

What would I have done differently?

Ditch Old Spock. Cute touch, nice for the existing fans, but nothing more than a gimmick. Same way as the first TNG movie could have been made without representation from the TOS crew!

The lens flares can bugger off! No movie should give you a migraine.

Would like some science to go with my fiction. Red matter my arse. FTL supernovae. Suck Satan's Cock!

An intelligent, coherent, and consistent story.

My biggest hate in the whole film. Stop remaking fucking Wrath of Khan. We get it. Ubervillains, doomsday weapons. Yeah. I've had it to the back teeth with it all.

Calm now.

EDIT: realised that I clicked on Something Else when I should have clicked Straight Reboot. I have nothing against them taking the original characters and starting over from scratch. I didn't like that they tied it in to original Trek. It didn't need to do that. It's like Old Superman travelling back in time and personally blowing up Krypton so that baby Supes can be sent back to Earth

13. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I guess I was in the minority but my general feeling was that Star Trek didn't need a reboot/relaunch/retard/restart to get going again. For me, Star Trek had evolved past Kirk and Spock and all the new movie has done has put us right back at square one. What, we're gonna get another film of them saving the day? Could the TNG/DS9 crew not do that? Did we really need a reboot for another series of films or TV shows about a crew flying around in their spaceship shooting baddies?

14. Disillusioned

Disillusioned Commander

If it makes you feel any better, you aren't entirely alone in that opinion. ;)

15. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

A straight TOS prequel or Romulan War movie.

16. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If I didn't like this movie or had Nemesis been stronger, then I would have voted for the crossover option. And even being a fan of XI, I sometimes find myself daydreaming about what tricks Spiner and Berman had up their sleeves when they were originally planning a crossover for XI.

17. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I picked straight reboot, but given how CBmount was pretty set on having a "famliar" retread, I would just have picked a different writing and directing staff, because what we ended up with was a schizophrenic, cut n' paste salad of Trek mythos, other movies, and lens flares. It's on par with Napoleon Dynamite as far as plot coherence and watchability are concerned.

For fuck's sake, 300 was more coherent than Trek '09. Sure, it was plagued with Snyder's shitty directing and Miller's laughable plotting, but at the very least it didn't feel like a movie where a single cast reenacts scenes from a dozen other movies.

18. apenpaap

apenpaap Commodore Commodore

This, except that third added character should really be a Tellarite.

19. Ward Fowler

Ward Fowler Commodore Commodore

I actually liked the premise of the movie and was excited about it in the beginning. Also, I had no problem with the obvious need to recast the roles. It was the execution of the premise that I had major problems with. Actually, that's much how I felt about Enterprise as well.

20. startrekrcks

startrekrcks Fleet Captain

why did you not like them going back to the early days of Kirk and his crew I thought they did brilliantly and the character interaction is brilliant especially Bones saying to Spock Are you of your vulcan mind and so on anyway they did what they set out to do and that's made a great movie so I thank them for that.