Design the Next Enterprise

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Shikarnov, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Vektor

Vektor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't think they're going to cancel the contest or re-run it.

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

If I devote an hour to watching something and they can't deliver a satisfying story with a beginning, a middle and an end then I can't usually be bothered to come back. There's too much going on in life other than television.

It might be different if more skiffy shows with "arcs" actually delivered something more intriguing for the time invested than some supposedly cosmic, thrice-told "revelations" which are no more thoughtful than crossword puzzles. There are more reality-mimetic series that do this - mainly through the use of evolving character arcs rather than nonsensical meta-plotting - but skiffy fans tend to dismiss that human drama stuff as "soap opera," so there you go.

Now, as for sitcoms - there's a format that sees good times, and hard times, but again is more reliably successful and appealing decade after decade than all the skiffy shows on television have ever been. :lol:

3. Fuzzy Modem

Fuzzy Modem Commander Red Shirt

You must have hated Babylon 5 and Deep Space 9.

If you aren't planning on watching every episode in order, why tune in at all?

That being said, I bailed on BSG when they colonized Elbonia. For me, the high point of that series was the raid on the asteroid mine when Apollo flies up the conveyor chute.

4. Mojomoe

Mojomoe Commander Red Shirt

Oh man, I haven't seen BSG, but I really hope that's a euphemism.

5. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

You mean New Caprica? That arc was the second high point of the series for me.

6. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^Elbonia is the fictional land of mud from Dilbert. I think he was making a joke.

7. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

I knew he was joking, I just wasnt sure what episode he was talking about.

8. Fuzzy Modem

Is there another mud planet in BSG?

To me that show felt schizophrenic. Every time they found purpose and direction they were immediately derailed by political idiocy or preachy religious buffoonery, the specifics of which didn't even remain consistent. I wanted a sci-fi war epic, not "The West Wing meets Touched by an Angel... in Spaaaace."

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  9. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

The Algae Planet, which had more muddy castmembers to my memory than New Caprica did.

10. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

It looks like a Federation ship after Xindi inclusion. I like it.

Here is my guess on the reason for the second contest.
    The CBS folks probably like this:
    http://www.startrekonline.com/enterprise/gallery?share=869
    And Cryptic wanter something more post TNG, and perhaps something with simpler lines that is easier to refresh for game use, but also love the intricate design.

So here is a solution.

A tech manual of all top submissions from Pocket.

11. Fuzzy Modem

Ah. Must have missed that one.

12. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

It was after New Caprica, so if you did in fact bail there then I guess you won't have seen it.

13. Fuzzy Modem

Yep. I quit cold turkey just prior to fat Apollo and didn't come back until the series finale.

It also occurred to me (and I have nothing to back this up) that Cryptic might have rigged the vote by giving CBS their favorite design and 24 others that were all obviously unacceptable for various reasons, thereby forcing CBS to acquiesce to their choice of winner. CBS didn't fall for it, having had a different winner in mind themselves. Hence the gridlock, and the remark about "not liking any of the entries" where 'any' would refer only to Cryptic's choice for top 25, and not all ≈1,000 entries.

Not saying this is what happened, but it seems at least a remote possibility.

14. Mojomoe

Mojomoe Commander Red Shirt

Fuzzy -

I must say that one of the upsides of neurotically refreshing this page in hopes of hearing some speck of news, is the ability to watch your posts evolve in realtime through edits.

In this era of binary news headlines and blog posts, I must say it's anachronistically refreshing. Thanks :).

15. Fuzzy Modem

Lol! Yeah. I'm a compulsive editor. Grammer and spelling errors drive me nuts, and I generally think of ways to rephrase or elaborate that demand implementation. :p

In a world of tweets and texts, I still prefer articulate, unabridged discourse. Newspeak is ++ungood.

16. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

There is no second contest. We were spitballing about what the hold up was.

Edit to add: Sigh, tomorrow is the 3 week mark.

17. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

This second contest thing is complete BS. It won't happen. As it stands, I think the current one has been a waste of money, they wont spend that again on a second chance.

And now its getting to the point that even if I win, im going to still be pissed off for waiting so long.

18. Fuzzy Modem

What money? They never advertised it and the prizes were donated!

You have an unbalanced perspective IMHO. I'd wait a lifetime, and if on my deathbed, many years from now, they announced that I was the winner, I would feel nothing but blissful gratitude.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  19. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Well, from the point of view of a second contest it'll have all been a waste of time at least if not money.

And the one time I forget a fucking :p smiley im called up on it. :mad:

(Nothing to do with you, im always told I use the :p emoticon waaay too much, and the one time I dont use it....you get the idea).

20. Fuzzy Modem

Like I said before, the longer they wait to announce the winner, the longer we get to imagine having won. Without evidence to the contrary, our delusions of grandeur seem almost plausible. I'm almost dreading the announcement at this point. Almost.

You know when you meet a girl you really, really like, and you aren't yet sure if she likes you too? This is the period of time when you're crushing the hardest, because while she hasn't indicated an interest, at least she hasn't rejected you.

[edit]
    Or to misquote The Shawshank Redemption:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011