Design the Next Enterprise

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Shikarnov, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Titan Designer

Titan Designer Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think that they (CBS and Cryptic) are like a hot school girl that gets you all hot and bothered and then leaves you hanging all flustered. They are nothing more than Teases, but I would still pay them attention since they are dangling the Enterprise just out of my grubby hands.

2. Fuzzy Modem

Fuzzy Modem Commander Red Shirt

Except that she is going home with one of us eventually, and when she does, at least the rest of us get to watch [​IMG]

3. Mojomoe

Mojomoe Commander Red Shirt

This is getting weird, guys.

...Continue.

4. Fuzzy Modem

[​IMG]

Sorry. Had to. :p

[edit]
    Also:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  5. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Oh, I have no delusions of grandeur, I know for a fact I haven't won. It's just this whole "April 1st! No, wait...next week! Oh, no, next week now..." thing that has been going on for nearly 3 weeks is wearing thin. We know CBS hates them all (which I see as a political way of saying "oh god why did we agree to this?!") thanks to a "leak", which leaves us wondering what the hell has been going on all this time then?

And no, its not THE Enterprise its AN Enterprise that's completely ambiguous as to canon and the grand scheme of things. Using the hot chick analogy, its like her coming up to you out of the blue, unzipping your trousers and giving you one hell of a -tutti fruit- only to have her stop at the last second and finish off with her hands.

It felt great while it lasted, but ultimately it was something you could have done yourself much easier for essentially the same result.

:crazy:

EDIT: Ya know what? Fuck the pre-tense. I JUST WANNA KNOW WHO THE EFFING HELL WON!!!!!!!! :@ OR, IF IT'S NULL AND VOID, SAY SO! ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGH. *runs into the night screaming*

6. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

My apologies, my apologies. I just needed to vent. Being forced to play STO for an extra 2 hours when you only wanted to play for 10 minutes pissed me off earlier.

7. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

You know, it just dawned on me. I am quite shocked that no one plagiarized Vektor's Grandeur as a contest entry. Or did they and I missed it?

8. Fuzzy Modem

Do you? If so, then you're in possession of more facts than I am.

... just to clarify, engaging in spontaneous sex acts with an eager, attractive female isn't worthwhile if it culminates in a hand job? :wtf:

I can't say that I've ever been irritated at having to play a video game too much. I consider them a bit of a luxury, as if I'm not working on my comic book (or these contests) I tend to feel guilty about wasting valuable time. I do play StarCraft though. StarCraft is intensely absorbing and generally takes less than 15 minutes.

I played the STO demo for the contest, just like I played the Star Craft 2 beta and the Eve demo for those contests.

I didn't see it either, which is a bit surprising in retrospect.

9. Fuzzy Modem

Hey look, I'm making a new post instead of editing obsessively.

Warning! Stream of consciousness ahead:

I suppose if I had to formulate a complaint for the sake of a cathartic rant, it's that I haven't been able to work on anything else since the contest "ended." I was in the middle of a maintenance bay scene with a starfighter I'd just finished, and I'd started making a series of spare fighter parts to fill a giant pit, with a spotlit central anti-gravity platform and tractor beam for levitating parts into the work area.

I'm a PC tech by trade, and I swap parts out all day long (as well as wasting time in forums and polishing my artwork in Photoshop on my inferior quality screen when things get slow*) so when I picture working on a starship I picture working on a PC, which means the parts are light and easy to work with, and the only tool you need is a screwdriver.

Additionally, my daughter (who entered the contest herself under my older than 21 year old** wife's name) came up with the idea of a bracelet that has all the force field, anti-gravity, and tractor beam controls on it, and also transforms into a little flying helper robot that zips around the damaged starfighter running diagnostics and opening panels.

It will give that character a cool side kick :) Kind-of a tiny R2-D2 alternative.

So now I'm sketching out this pit full of spare parts (my daughter is still sketching out the bracelet robot, which I'm going to help her model.) I've got a plan of action, I'm experimenting with modeling directly onto a planar map, the same way I made my weapons collections, and I'm getting decent results, I've finished maybe 20 parts, and I've covered eight or nine sticky notes in doodles and 'to do' lists... and then I hear about the Enterprise contest.

Now it's 6 months later and I can't go back to working on the parts pit. I don't have closure, so I can't move on. I can polish my F [​IMG] all day long, tweak every imperfection... but I can't focus on anything else.

What's more irritating is that I got this great idea while playing the Star Trek Online demo. As long as I'm making all these parts, why don't I make them interchangeable? Why don't I make a giant, giant kitbash collection, with different texture sets for different factions?

It will require a bit more work, as I now want to model with poly extrusion, the same way I did the Enterprise, but if for nothing other than background ships I could save myself a massive amount of time and effort later by doing this now.

...but I can't, and that's my rant. :klingon:

*ever make a post you hope your boss never reads?
    **Contest rule.

10. DFScott

DFScott Captain Captain

Oh, Dac, if you like this little experience, you'll just go. . . searching for the right emoticon. . . :eek: (there we go) GAGA spending 27 or more years relying on royalties for a percentage of your income. There ain't nothin' that'll make you want to perform plastic self-surgery like finding nothin' in your mailbox (and I don't mean your Outlook inbox) when you're expecting your hard-earned income from 2003 to fall from the sky any moment now.

DF "Your Complaint Is Very Important To Us. To Scream Madly at Our Accounts Payable Representative in Bangladesh, Press 1" Scott

11. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Fuzzy Modem, I take it your not a Kevin Smith fan then? :P

(The whole blowjob joke was shameless stolen from one of his evening with DVDs).

And as for the STO thing, one mission always takes 3x as long to complete as you'd expect it too. Its so long winded. Especially when you look at the clock, it says 10:30 and you think "oh i'll give it another half hour" and by the time you've finished one mission its gone midnight.

12. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Look, It was late last night, it was bloody hot here, and I was half joking/half seriously getting pissed off with waiting. Sorry for the event. Please stop psychoanalyzing me. :p

13. Fuzzy Modem

I'm a huge fan actually, but I haven't seen that (and I still disagree with the premise.)

14. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

I think it was threevening with. I can't remember his point either, but I used it as in "Yeah, it's the Enterprise but its not like it's a proper Enterprise" :p

So yeah, im jazzed about it, but hardly going apeshit over it. (Contrary to last night) :p

15. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

And while yeah, my earliest memory is the TOS Enterprise flying at me off the TV screen, and i've sketched concept Enterprises for fun as long as I can remember and would kill to do it for a professional TV show....it's only a promotional contest for an OK game. :p

16. Fuzzy Modem

Since the contest started:
    • My truck suffered irreparable engine damage.
    • I hit a parked car with my Jeep on the way to pick up my truck from the shop.
    • The two co-workers I really got along with moved to the lower 48.
    • My work load has doubled and I've been denied a raise.
    • My daughter got braces.
    • I was described as "balding" for the first time.
    • My Grandfather died.

...So you'd think I'd have a more grounded sense of what it means to win or lose an internet art contest, but no, daydreams of winning still occupy my every waking thought.

17. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Heh, I can't say i've had daydreams of winning. The thought of winning has crossed my mind, but, heh. Even if I did, I'd have to keep my mouth shut. :p

18. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Do you work in the IT field? If they aren't giving you a raise, are they hiring? Moving to AK would be an awesome change for me. I hate the heat of Florida.

19. Fuzzy Modem

I'm a PC tech of the lowest order (reloads, diags, replacing parts) but no, we're not hiring techs right now. It's just me indefinitely (though we are hiring in sales.) I set up a 3rd KVM switch to keep ahead of things, so I'm now working on as many as 20 computers at a time.

Our main competitor would probably hire you if you can stand working with a bunch of WoW addicts.

20. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

Sojourner, Having lived in Alaska and near Fairbanks I can tell you this. You will have isolation like you never imagine. Its colder then you can believe, during the winter -30 to -50 is standard. The coast of living is higher, because they have to ship things in. When it snows for the first time, count on that snow being there until the spring thaw.

However with saying all that, it is truly one of the most beautiful places on earth. The view of Mount Mckinley on a clear day is awe inspiring. Just seeing the Aurora Borealis once is totally worth the trip.

Just really think about it before you consider it.