DEFIANCE Season 3

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by teacake, Jun 13, 2015.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I felt like this was bad direction or something. It made no sense, it just seemed like a mistake. Like there was a shot missing where the general dives away.. because why wouldn't he when he knows there is a sniper up there?

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

The TV Guide description for tonight's episode, Dead Air:
    Nolan and Amanda are captured while excavating a buried weapons cache; Berlin investigates a Votanis Collective bombing in the heart of Defiance and sees an opportunity to get revenge on Irisa; Stahma's clandestine relationship with the mysterious Omex leader T'evgin takes a turn.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  3. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Were the FX always this bad? I think I blanked out at the end of last season and wasn't really watching but this season seems really rough and cartoony but I haven't gone back and compared.

4. Lucky

Lucky Captain Captain

I enjoyed tonight's episode a lot. Amanda's my favorite character, so I'm glad she got resolution regarding her rape. The stuff with Stahma and the new alien was interesting as well. So far I think this has the makings to be the best season yet.

5. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

It's usually better in the finale. Otherwise it's almost like video game effects.

6. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

They haven't been the greatest but this season they seem to be worse. I wonder if they're saving the budget up for the end of the season or if they had budget cuts this season.

Glad to see that the Amanda/Pottinger stuff got wrapped up. When they said he had left Defiance I was worried that there would be no closure.

7. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Arch blowing up was like a 90s screensaver.

8. teacake

All that art and camembert :(

"Rest assured love, I will think only of you."

Uh huh, will that be during the sex, the killing or the sex and the killing?

Great episode. Potty the stalking creeper rapist who fixated on Amanda because he couldn't seduce his first fixation, Amanda's fiance.

9. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I was surprised and impressed that they actually blew up the Arch--and updated the credits to show the shattered arch.

I figured that was a threat they'd talk about but not carry through, let alone blow it up in the first ten minutes of the episode!

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I think that was one of the show's biggest surprises for me yet. It played such a big role last season that I figured there was no way they would actually destroy it.
    I was surprised when they ran into Pottinger again, I wasn't expecting that. I was glad to see them resolve stuff with him. But I wasn't entirely sure if it was Pottinger that raped Amanda, or if he really did just kill her attacker and take his stuff?
    I'm very curious to see what they are going to do with the Stahma/T'evgin relationship. I was wondering if she knew the poison wouldn't work, but she didn't seem like she actually wanted to kill him?

11. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

No surprise here, they've been showing commercials with the arch in pieces for a while now.

12. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

Not sure about how they handled Pottinger. I do think it was nice to get stuff resolved with him and the bomb angle was kind of interesting, but I would have liked to see a few more eps to build up to that point rather than just bringing him back for a single episode to kill him off.

13. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

What was it with Pottinger and the biomen? They always seemed to be a part of his life and to love him. Was there some backstory that I missed?

14. teacake

He is diddling the biomen, pretty sure of that.

The "deal" is is a manipulative head case and the biomen do whatever he wants and "love" him. He already had one bioman he clearly had feelings for that he had to send to his death to save himself and Nolan when they were trapped with the energy alien.

Unfortunately for him real people aren't as responsive to his wonderfulness as the biomen.

Oh and yes, he definitely was Amanda's rapist. This was speculated before and I think we knew the rapist was someone in the show because of how they emphasized his eyes behind the balaclava in the flashbacks. Potty was also very taken aback when Amanda told him the baby she aborted was the rapists, not her fiance's.

I thought he was a great character, he started off as a ridiculous cartoon in an evil uniform and the just kept adding layers of weirdness. Also the actor is fantastic. I would have been happy for a few more episodes of him as well, who knows maybe he will emerge from the wormhole having melded with a bioman or something :lol:

And he MURDERED Mercado!

Me too. The town is really in dire straights. Yeah the effects were shoddy but it was still a :eek: scene for me.

15. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Well at least Pottinger got to go while wearing a really snazzy outfit. Very Dark Jedi.

16. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Somehow I missed that . . . and my jaw dropped when it actually exploded.

17. teacake

Lucky for me no commercials, so it was a good surprise.

Also I love Amanda's coat, it's leather anorak style I've never seen (in leather). Actually everyone's coats on this show are standout, they look cool and they look different.

18. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Does anyone else get the sense that most of this season has veered off from what they'd initially planned to do?

Between the McCawley massacre, the sudden and (unless I missed something) un-foreshadowed appearance of a new alien species, Pottinger disappearing off screen only to reprise long enough to tie up the lingering plot threads and die, it all rather smacks of course correction to me.
    That or they just really needed to cut down on the size of the cast. ;)

19. teacake

I agree Reverend, there is the feel of course correction. Season 2 ended with the story going in definite directions and all of that was removed by the first 2 episodes. Last season we were expecting Rafe and Datak to begin an underground war against ERep. One episode in to season 3 and Rafe is dead, Erep is gone, Datak is on a totally different mission.

Lack of foreshadowing of the aliens is also a shame, especially since they don't really add anything other than supposedly bigger menace. We already had menaces. I do like the renegade Tak with his VC band because they live in a dangerous world full of factions. Coming up with a whole new alien/faction in the sky wasn't needed.

Still, looks great, totally enjoying it. I'd be curious to know what was behind the apparent jettisoning of last season's plot directions though.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

While I have enjoyed the episodes, I do agree it seems to have veered off in a new direction than what the end of last season seemed to be setting up.
    Did they change showrunner/s maybe? It seems like these are the kind of things that happen when someone new takes over and wants to do their own thing rather than what their predecessor/s had planed