DC to REBOOT???

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Professor Zoom, May 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I believe the context was Supergirl wanting to find Superman an appropriate wife. He then mentions she would be perfect but Kryptonian legalities forbid it. Later Supergirl finds a woman who is her double, and Superman hits it off with her.

Said woman was super on her world, but not on earth, or superman wasn't super on her world.. some such crap to keep them apart.

It was a very creepy story for the silver age.

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Thus establishing that Krypton was not located in the Mississippi Cluster.

3. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Supergirl was trying to find him a perfect mate. When she found her, uh...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm not sure whether my favorite part is Superman repressing his frankly understandable but nonetheless off-puttingly hilarious urge to have sex with the only other living member of his species, Supergirl's snide thought-aside about Tinya's inability to get a man, or Superman's insensitively cold recitation of the tragedy that killed everyone his cousin ever knew and loved, which she tries to deflect by musing on the gift of yellow sunlight, while she cries inside and vomits a little in her mouth by the next panel.

4. Admiral Buzzkill

I'm actually fascinated by the fact that Supes apparently has an alliteration fetish. Does such a thing even possibly exist?

"Hey Kal, check out the double-Ls on that one!"

Which leaves us to wonder what the deal is with him and Lex, anyway. Hell of a hate-fuck.

5. Myasishchev

:D

"You and Superman could have been friends!"

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, that is seriously creepy... and not in a good way.:scream:
    EDIT: Just found this hilarious video on Blastr.
    EDIT 2: A couple more teases have been revealed.
    “I didn’t even know how much I missed it.”
    – Batgirl in BATGIRL #1

“They ended the revolution and freed our country. Then they disappeared.”
    – Batwing in BATWING #1

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  7. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

After Clark gets back with Lois and Peter gets back with Mary Jane, DC and Marvel should do a cross-company crossover hooking up Jonathon and Carly Cooper. :lol:

A more complete version of the tale.

There was actually a Superman story about the fact that so many people in his life have the intials L.L. I really hope that this story still exists in the re-launch. ;)

Both of those links are from Brian Cronin's "I Love Ya, But Your Strange" feature that ran through August at CBR. For those who don't follow Cronin's various columns for CBR (Including the very cool "Comic Book Legends Revealed"), you really should. He always digs up some fascinating shit.

8. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

This was considered far less creepy 40 years ago, when we had a much less repressed, less WASP-dominated, and more open-minded society.

9. Myasishchev

Clark, thinking: "I'll know the name of my future mate in just a moment."
    Lois, shrill: "LL? What kind of phoney answer is that? Those initials might mean Lana Lang or Lois Lane!"
    Clark, thinking: "Or Lori Lemaris. Or Linda Lee."

Dude, it's fine, just fuck her. We're all grown ups here. We understand. Biological imperative.

It's the next generation that's going to have the real troubles.

ETA: I sort of wonder if the notion was considered far less gross back in the early 1960s, when a lot of people still alive were indeed married to their cousins, even their first cousins. Honestly, we really do make too big a deal out of it, especially past the first cousin. You know what consanguinity laws are? State-sanctioned negative eugenics. You know who else practiced eugenics? Oh, I think you know who. Especially you, Admiral Young. Or should I say... Doenitz?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  10. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

When was our culture ever less "WASP-dominated"???? 1971?

11. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

:wtf:

Is this irony?

12. Admiral Buzzkill

It never was.

And this kind of thing was creepy when I was a kid - I didn't grow up in one of the rural enclaves of the country where incest was a quasi-acceptable practice as late as forty years ago.

13. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

You're just not open minded.

14. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Yeah, I'm about the same age as you and beaker. It was a taboo/punchline in the California suburbs were I grew up and in the Tennessee hills my grandparents lived. All that free love and what have you of the previous decade hadn't changed that back in 1971. And other than the Irish Catholic guy who was in charge when I was a baby and the Black guy who's in charge now, the WASPs have pretty much run the show my entire life. :p

15. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

Among the chasidic ashkenazi marriage of cousins isn't at all uncommon, and often expected.

16. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

@Myasischev... Lex?

17. Myasishchev

Alexander?:confused:

I was just kidding about the Doenitz thing. :p

18. Admiral_Young

^ Luthor I mean. I've no idea who that poster is anyway...if it was a member you were referring. :)

19. Myasishchev

Nah, Karl Doenitz, proponent of submarine warfare, architect of the Second Battle of the Atlantic, and rather briefly fuhrer of Third Reich, but most relevantly for the purposes of the joke, admiral of the Kriegsmarine. :p

20. Admiral_Young

^ Yep. Thought that reference went right over me...I've been up almost 18 hours straight now so my World War II/Germany history recollection isn't that great at the moment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.