DC to REBOOT???

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Professor Zoom, May 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

It looks like after Flashpoint, DC is starting over... with ALL #1s.

Well. If I had a full collection of Action Comics... I think I would be pissed. It's close to hitting 1000... and now... NOW they decide to go back to #1....

I don't think it'll last forever...

Still.

Rebooting NOW?

I will give them this though, at least they might be rebooting EVERYTHING, rather than piece meal like they did in the first Crisis.

It makes me tempted to get back in... and then I look at the prices of a comic... and I keep my money in my pocket.

2. God Magnus

God Magnus Commodore Commodore

A world where criminals operate above the law...
    I'm not fond of this. I only recently got back into certain books such as "Gotham City Sirens" (spawned from my following of the Catwoman title) and several Bat-books. I like the whole Batman Inc. storyline and would hate to see it just go poof for an "event". I guess we'll see...

3. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

If it means they can get Batman back to being Bruce Wayne and resume normal service...

it'd still be a bloody annoying thing!

4. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

I'm inclined to think that Action Comics should if necessary take a hiatus rather than be part of the renumbering. That's one comic that should wear its age with pride. This is a move that smacks of desperation.

5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Batman is Bruce Wayne again...has been since his return last year. We've been discussing this in the Flashpoint thread. An official announcement on their post-Flashpoint plans is coming on June 11th at the LA Times Hero Complex event. I guess Bleeding Cool decided to screw DC and beat them to it.

6. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wonder if this reboot thing is true if it will be a complete reboot. I can't see them screwing with Grant Morrison and what he's doing with the Batbooks right now. It also doesn't make sense to renumber many of the long running titles, I like the sense of history that it evokes. However, I could see some of the suits thinking that books being numbered 900 or whatever might turn off prospective fans who feel they are 900 issues behind. Still don't care for the idea.

However, DC might need a little shake up and Johns has proven himself, so at least the potential reboot is in relatively good hands.

7. Professor Zoom

Action and Detective Comics.

I like the IDEA of a reboot, but, I don't see why that has to include a renumbering. It's a dumb ploy. Reboot, but, unless you're cancelling the comic, leave the numbers alone.

Besides people who are trying to make a buck off of comics, does anyone REALLY care about #1?

When I started reading years ago, NONE of the books I started off with were #1s. The lowest was Flash #28. The highest was Detective... and I don't remember the number.

Yep. It IS big news--well, in the comics world, it's not REALLY news--so, yeah, it's gonna get out there...

8. Admiral_Young

LOL. It's just kind of amusing that they would do this. I'm not going to comment about this until after I see the details on the creative teams on various books. I too wonder about Grant Morrison's status on Batman. I could see them rebooting Action Comics now that issue 900 has passed. After all they only gave WW a 600th issue after a fan petition.

9. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Action Comics and Detective Comics should never be renumbered in my opinion.

Anyway, my guess is a) it won't turn out to be a full reboot and b) at least some titles, especially Action and Detective, will return to their original numbering at some point.

10. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

It'll be "Ultimate DC Universe," with a new continuity borne out of the previous one...

Wait, is Geoff Johns and J.J. Abrams behind this?
    :angel:

11. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

12. C.E. Evans

^^^
    New costumes for Superman and Wonder Woman in that article...

13. Admiral_Young

14. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

http://www.comicsbeat.com/2011/05/3...launches-50-titles-including-digital-release/

15. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

I think a 100% reboot is potentially a good idea and it's something I've expected to eventually happen, but the recent events have been geared towards reintroducing key characters and you have certain titles - particularly Batman and Green Lantern - where the current continuity is very popular and selling very well, so a 100% reboot in story terms would be a strange next step at this point. It's going to be very interesting to see more detail and whether some characters will still have a lot of their previous continuity intact and folded into the new one, as has been the case with previous reboots, or whether it's a new day across the board.

16. Admiral_Young

Let the breaking of the internet...commence!!!!

17. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Here's DC's letter to the retailers about all of this:

18. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Well. Fuck.

It's not April 1 all of a sudden, so.

Considering the legacy and the history of the DC Verse is what brought me to caring about it (there's a reason I'm a JSA fan), I'm... unimpressed and not terribly interested in a complete wipe. Do they really think they're going to bring on a ton more readers from this?

19. C.E. Evans

Some comic book sites are beginning to experience slow-downs as a result of heavy traffic and repeated usage of the phrase "It sucks."

Magnificent!

20. Professor Zoom

All the men went to the same tailor... look at their collars, all the same.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.