DC Movies - To Infinity and Beyond

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by dahj, Aug 5, 2018.

1. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

If you want a straight narrative for the universe the Flash occupied (including stories / events before his first appearance in BvS, and films whether he appeared in them or not), I would start with:

Man of Steel
    Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - Ultimate Edition
    (MoS & BvS/UE launched rather strong, iconic versions of DC characters who felt like more than just the name and costume)
    Wonder Woman
    Suicide Squad
    Zack Snyder's Justice League
    (The Justice League film one would want, with enough care relevant to the films which preceded it to justify heroes getting together for reasons other than just getting together. Excellent film, and sets the concept straight after the misguided, creatively challenged disaster that was the theatrical version helmed by Whedon after Snyder's departure due to the tragedy of his daughter's suicide).
    Aquaman
    The Flash

...and not a necessity, but Black Adam is worth one screening, as you get a strong representation for the Justice Society and other gems.

His appearance in the so-named Arrowverse is brief and forgettable.

I hope you enjoy the journey.

Haggis and tatties likes this.
  2. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

In Batman v Superman the Flash appears through a time portal (the head upper part of his body is sticking through in costume), and he's warning Bruce Wayne about the coming of Darkseid.

The Realist likes this.
  3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it's fun, but it's one quick scene out of a five hour crossover that has no impact on the COIE plot or the DCEU Flash, so it's easily skippable, unless you're an absolute completist who must see everything. If you really want to see it I'm pretty sure you can probably find it on Youtube.

4. The Realist

The Realist Vice Admiral Admiral

Right you are, I forgot about that bit when I was posting earlier. I was referring to the convenience store security camera footage. The point stands, however, that if you're only or primarily interested in The Flash, he's in probably less than a minute total of that three-hour film.

5. The Realist

The Realist Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought about mentioning those, but it did seem to me that Haggis and tatties's inquiry, coming off the Flash movie, was focused on the DCEU versions of the characters. But yeah, Supergirl's first four seasons, in particular, are among my favorite genre TV ever.

Commander Troi likes this.
  6. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Aquaman's first movie is really good, but I haven't seen the second. Wonder Woman's first movie is one of the highlights of the DCEU with the second being an entertaining but highly flawed film.

7. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Note.... To make sense of the narrative of Batman vs Superman, it's best to watch Man Of Steel. Its not required, but it does help.
    Also, there is a 2,5 hour version and three hours version of Batman vs Superman. The longer version (Ultimate Cut) is definitely better!

8. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks all, i will check out these movie, and thanks for the order in which to watch them. ;)

TREK_GOD_1 likes this.
  9. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Parts of The Batman (the non-DCEU standalone Batman film) were also filmed in Glasgow.

Haggis and tatties likes this.
  10. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Man of Steel is the original version of the Zod plotline as seen in The Flash, before the timeline was altered.

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Turns out this wasn't cancelled after all, and I just got it from the library. It's a surprisingly funny film, with lots of clever jokes and in-jokes -- like when Velma takes off her glasses and Lois Lane & Jimmy Olsen can't recognize her. Pretty good balance of Scooby elements and Justice League elements, with a fair number of Super Friends and DC in-jokes. I figured out most of the mystery pretty early, but it was clever enough for a Scooby-Doo mystery, I guess.

Commander Troi likes this.
  12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

It wasn't Scooby Doo and Krypto Too that was cancelled, it was the sequel to the Scoob!, Scoob!: Holiday Haunt that had it's Max released cancelled, though I think they try to find someone else to release it, since Wikipedia says that they continued production and finished it after the Max release was cancelled.

13. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I

I am not saying we need to do it now, but at some point this year, this thread will probably wrap up discussion. Definitely ironic that "Infinity and Beyond" turned out to only be 3 years later than the original thread covered.

@dahj -- Yeah, World of DC didn't catch on... i wish The DC Film Universe did.... as how it felt (in instances) throughout its short history.

Also ironic that Aquaman 2 was the last film on your "initial" list, and turned out to be the last on the list. Period.

(However, I am still waiting to see it)

14. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Marc Guggenheim, co-creator of the Arrowverse, hints at a potential sequel series starring Brandon Routh as Superman.

15. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

"Hint" might not be the right word. He and Routh are open to the idea but no indication WB is.

The Realist likes this.
  16. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I never went from 'holy shit' to 'aw crap' so fast in my entire life.

17. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I saw Blue Beetle the other day and it was far better than I expected it to be.

Anwar, Avalon, Ovation and 1 other person like this.
  18. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Max just let us know that Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom will be available Feb 27.

So i guess i will soon be able to contribute to the review thread.

19. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Repost from the movie thread:

Just watched it. Entertaining and looked good. Not top tier but certainly top half of all comic book movies I’ve seen (it did what it needed to do—keep me entertained while watching). Don’t know why the Affleck scenes needed to be cut, but I can’t be bothered to argue about it. Thus ends the DCEU. It wasn’t perfect but it was willing to take chances other “universes” don’t do as often, and I always appreciated that kind of thing. What I’ll miss most is the DCEU cast. Ah well, c’est la vie.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Which movie is "it"?