DC Movies - To Infinity and Beyond

The justice league and Batman and superman movies, ok good stuff, i will check them out.....oh and you talk about one of them having a directors cut, is this the same type of thing that happened to the Reeves Superman II that got the original directors cut, which in my view made the movie a more true sequal to the first, and dumped a lot of the pointless humor making it a bit darker, which i liked a lot.

Yeah i know, i am about 30 years behind in this stuff, i still have more dvds than Blu rays. Lol

If you want a straight narrative for the universe the Flash occupied (including stories / events before his first appearance in BvS, and films whether he appeared in them or not), I would start with:

Man of Steel
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - Ultimate Edition
(MoS & BvS/UE launched rather strong, iconic versions of DC characters who felt like more than just the name and costume)
Wonder Woman
Suicide Squad
Zack Snyder's Justice League
(The Justice League film one would want, with enough care relevant to the films which preceded it to justify heroes getting together for reasons other than just getting together. Excellent film, and sets the concept straight after the misguided, creatively challenged disaster that was the theatrical version helmed by Whedon after Snyder's departure due to the tragedy of his daughter's suicide).
Aquaman
The Flash

...and not a necessity, but Black Adam is worth one screening, as you get a strong representation for the Justice Society and other gems.

His appearance in the so-named Arrowverse is brief and forgettable.

I hope you enjoy the journey.

Note that The Flash's appearance in Batman v Superman is extremely brief, and he doesn't even have any dialogue. (Nor is he in costume.) I noted it for completeness' sake, but if Flash is your primary or only interest, I wouldn't bother with that one. For that matter, Justice League is really the only other film besides The Flash in which he has more than a cameo role.

As for the two versions of Justice League, boy, is that a long story. Suffice it to say the director's cut is generally (though not universally) considered the superior version, an assessment with which I'd tend to agree. Be prepared if you watch it, though: It's four hours long. :eek:
In Batman v Superman the Flash appears through a time portal (the head upper part of his body is sticking through in costume), and he's warning Bruce Wayne about the coming of Darkseid.

His appearance in the so-named Arrowverse is brief and forgettable.
Yeah, it's fun, but it's one quick scene out of a five hour crossover that has no impact on the COIE plot or the DCEU Flash, so it's easily skippable, unless you're an absolute completist who must see everything. If you really want to see it I'm pretty sure you can probably find it on Youtube.

In Batman v Superman the Flash appears through a time portal (the head upper part of his body is sticking through in costume), and he's warning Bruce Wayne about the coming of Darkseid.
Right you are, I forgot about that bit when I was posting earlier. I was referring to the convenience store security camera footage. The point stands, however, that if you're only or primarily interested in The Flash, he's in probably less than a minute total of that three-hour film.

It's not these versions of the characters, but if you're interested in seeing more Flash and Supergirl, I would highly recommend the Arrowverse series, they're both fantastic. They each had one or two less than great season, but overall they're really good series.
The Flash (Season 1) trailer
Supergirl (Season 1) trailer
I thought about mentioning those, but it did seem to me that Haggis and tatties's inquiry, coming off the Flash movie, was focused on the DCEU versions of the characters. But yeah, Supergirl's first four seasons, in particular, are among my favorite genre TV ever.

The justice league and Batman and superman movies, ok good stuff, i will check them out.....oh and you talk about one of them having a directors cut, is this the same type of thing that happened to the Reeves Superman II that got the original directors cut, which in my view made the movie a more true sequal to the first, and dumped a lot of the pointless humor making it a bit darker, which i liked a lot.

Yeah i know, i am about 30 years behind in this stuff, i still have more dvds than Blu rays. Lol

Aquaman's first movie is really good, but I haven't seen the second. Wonder Woman's first movie is one of the highlights of the DCEU with the second being an entertaining but highly flawed film.

Note.... To make sense of the narrative of Batman vs Superman, it's best to watch Man Of Steel. Its not required, but it does help.
Also, there is a 2,5 hour version and three hours version of Batman vs Superman. The longer version (Ultimate Cut) is definitely better!

Well, it's not Batgirl, but the cancelled animated Scooby Doo And Krypto Too has leaked in its entirety.

Turns out this wasn't cancelled after all, and I just got it from the library. It's a surprisingly funny film, with lots of clever jokes and in-jokes -- like when Velma takes off her glasses and Lois Lane & Jimmy Olsen can't recognize her. Pretty good balance of Scooby elements and Justice League elements, with a fair number of Super Friends and DC in-jokes. I figured out most of the mystery pretty early, but it was clever enough for a Scooby-Doo mystery, I guess.

It wasn't Scooby Doo and Krypto Too that was cancelled, it was the sequel to the Scoob!, Scoob!: Holiday Haunt that had it's Max released cancelled, though I think they try to find someone else to release it, since Wikipedia says that they continued production and finished it after the Max release was cancelled.

I
The previous thread was based on the slate up to 2020 which is basically thrown out the window now, and since the remaining films that were discussed in that thread have their own separate anticipation threads(linked below) I think it's time for a new thread about the future of DC movies.

I'm putting the wonderfully generic "DC Movies" in the title cause I doubt the "Worlds of DC" thing will catch on, and not limiting the thread to a certain year. ;)

What we know so far is that we currently have in production:

Aquaman - 21.12.2018 - Grading and Discussion Thread

Shazam! - 5.4.2019 - Grading and Discussion Thread

Joker - 4.10.2019

Birds of Prey - 7.2.2020

Wonder Woman 1984 - 5.6.2020

The Batman - 25.6.2021

The Suicide Squad - 6.8.2021

Black Adam - 22.12.2021

DC Super Pets - 20.5.2022

Aquaman 2 - 16.12.2022

The strongest rumors so far for movies likely to enter production are The Harley Quinn Girl Gang Movie a.k.a. possibly Birds of Prey, which should start shooting early next year, The Flash, rumored to no longer be based on Flashpoint, and Batman, with or without Batfleck. If any of those (or perhaps some of the other 20 announced to be in development :D) are hoping to hit the theaters in 2020 we should start hearing some more concrete stuff about them within the next few months.

I am not saying we need to do it now, but at some point this year, this thread will probably wrap up discussion. Definitely ironic that "Infinity and Beyond" turned out to only be 3 years later than the original thread covered.

@dahj -- Yeah, World of DC didn't catch on... i wish The DC Film Universe did.... as how it felt (in instances) throughout its short history.

Also ironic that Aquaman 2 was the last film on your "initial" list, and turned out to be the last on the list. Period.

(However, I am still waiting to see it)

Marc Guggenheim, co-creator of the Arrowverse, hints at a potential sequel series starring Brandon Routh as Superman.

Repost from the movie thread:

Just watched it. Entertaining and looked good. Not top tier but certainly top half of all comic book movies I’ve seen (it did what it needed to do—keep me entertained while watching). Don’t know why the Affleck scenes needed to be cut, but I can’t be bothered to argue about it. Thus ends the DCEU. It wasn’t perfect but it was willing to take chances other “universes” don’t do as often, and I always appreciated that kind of thing. What I’ll miss most is the DCEU cast. Ah well, c’est la vie.

Back